All-Star Summit Hotel Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And you can split groceries and cook healthy "normal" meals, versus eating out every meal and still trying to perform at a high athletic level with a belly full of fried chicken fingers and mickey waffles ;)
I do like the Mickey waffles lol

We have done both. The All-Star resort is easier but the other hotels are nicer. It depends on what you want. We went All-Star last year for the experience and the kids loved it. We had groceries delivered and split them. There is a food court but not great choices. Wristbands make EVERYTHING easier. However teams can be practicing outside your window until VERY late and starting very early. Rooms were not great. Lots of walking. This year we are going back to a nice hotel that has shuttles to the parks and we will uber to ESPN. But I am glad we stayed at All Star Sports last year for the experience....

I didn't mind the hotel. This year we may try to go the house route, if possible.

Last year we were at Pop Century. Hotel was basic but honestly...we were not in the hotel very often. Just needed a place to sleep. We have stayed at All-Star Movies before for a regular Disney trip and it was fine so I didn't mind staying at Pop Century. I dont mind being around the hustle and bustle. At Pop Century our room was far enough away from the teams practicing so that didn't affect us. I liked being right near the buses to ESPN, the Summit store, Check in and being in an area with our gym. Not much of a walk to eat in the cafeteria. Food didn't bother me or the kids.

Now, the majority of our team did not want to stay at Pop Century. They wanted to stay somewhere else so they stayed at the Caribbean. If we wanted to hang out with our team we had to go over there. It kinda stunk because CP was not with all her teammates but I was on a budget and Pop Century was better for the wallet. Is what it is. She had 3 teammates at Pop Century so it wasn't too bad and the older teams from our gym were at Pop Century too. Our team mates actually didn't care for the Caribbean. Too much walking, the cafeteria was on the opposite end of the resort and the lake with the alligators scared the kids. We are a youth team. They won't stay there this go around.

This year, i may try the house experience and see how that goes. Always heard great things from people who rent out houses. I've heard it's more economical to share a house. However, we got a paid bid this time and might have to stay where the gym tells us too. I don't know anything about what comes with a paid bid and how that works. If anyone can enlighten me that would be great. Just got the bid last night so we don't have info from the gym yet.

I didn't mind the hotel. This year we may try to go the house route, if possible.

Last year we were at Pop Century. Hotel was basic but honestly...we were not in the hotel very often. Just needed a place to sleep. We have stayed at All-Star Movies before for a regular Disney trip and it was fine so I didn't mind staying at Pop Century. I dont mind being around the hustle and bustle. At Pop Century our room was far enough away from the teams practicing so that didn't affect us. I liked being right near the buses to ESPN, the Summit store, Check in and being in an area with our gym. Not much of a walk to eat in the cafeteria. Food didn't bother me or the kids.

Now, the majority of our team did not want to stay at Pop Century. They wanted to stay somewhere else so they stayed at the Caribbean. If we wanted to hang out with our team we had to go over there. It kinda stunk because CP was not with all her teammates but I was on a budget and Pop Century was better for the wallet. Is what it is. She had 3 teammates at Pop Century so it wasn't too bad and the older teams from our gym were at Pop Century too. Our team mates actually didn't care for the Caribbean. Too much walking, the cafeteria was on the opposite end of the resort and the lake with the alligators scared the kids. We are a youth team. They won't stay there this go around.

This year, i may try the house experience and see how that goes. Always heard great things from people who rent out houses. I've heard it's more economical to share a house. However, we got a paid bid this time and might have to stay where the gym tells us too. I don't know anything about what comes with a paid bid and how that works. If anyone can enlighten me that would be great. Just got the bid last night so we don't have info from the gym yet.

I think paid bid is around $325? Which really only covers comp fees and some left over. I love renting houses for any comp and have done so many times. Home Away website is great for finding houses. There is a few communities within 10 min of ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I copied this from Varsity's website....

PAID BIDS Up to $569 credit will be given to each athlete on the Summit travel package. No credits may be used for family members or for additional tickets. However, if a team chooses the Quad 3 night package the athlete will receive a $541 credit. If a Paid Bid team chooses to not stay on property then they will receive the “Commuter Paid Bid” package for free. A $360 value per athlete. The Paid Bid Commuter Package receives the following: • 4 day Walt Disney World Park Hopper Pass • Celebration Party wristband • Registration Fees

PAID BIDS Up to $569 credit will be given to each athlete on the Summit travel package. No credits may be used for family members or for additional tickets. However, if a team chooses the Quad 3 night package the athlete will receive a $541 credit. If a Paid Bid team chooses to not stay on property then they will receive the “Commuter Paid Bid” package for free. A $360 value per athlete. The Paid Bid Commuter Package receives the following: • 4 day Walt Disney World Park Hopper Pass • Celebration Party wristband • Registration Fees

I wonder what happens if you get a paid bid but there is no room at any of the value resorts and a gym has to relocate off property not by choice. Do the athletes get a credit for lodging in that circumstance?

Wow didn't realize the summit bids $ was so confusing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what happens if you get a paid bid but there is no room at any of the value resorts and a gym has to relocate off property not by choice. Do the athletes get a credit for lodging in that circumstance?
If there is no room, Summit offers another hotel (I want to say it was a Marriott a few years ago). If the gym makes their own plans, you'll get the commuter plan, that's it.

My daughter is in her first year of All Star. They got an "at large" bid to Summit. And that's about all I know. I'm clueless. Could someone please explain the whole thing to me like I don't know anything? (cause I don't.) What does "at large" mean? Is it really at Disney World? What is the ESPN place? Is there a hotel attached? Am I allowed to just book my own hotel rooms at the nearest hotel? What is the nearest hotel? What's the nicest hotel? How spread out is everything? Thank you!

My daughter is in her first year of All Star. They got an "at large" bid to Summit. And that's about all I know. I'm clueless. Could someone please explain the whole thing to me like I don't know anything? (cause I don't.) What does "at large" mean? Is it really at Disney World? What is the ESPN place? Is there a hotel attached? Am I allowed to just book my own hotel rooms at the nearest hotel? What is the nearest hotel? What's the nicest hotel? How spread out is everything? Thank you!
I'll try to answer most of your questions, though I'm sure others will weigh in.
An At-Large bid is essentially an invitation to go. There are 3 types of bids. Paid bids get money to offset some of the costs, this is the highest type of bid. At-large bids and wildcard bids do not have any type of money. At-large bids are the middle level and get teams automatically to the 2nd day. Wildcard bid teams must compete the first day, Friday, to advance to Saturday where the 2nd and 3rd place wildcard teams will compete against all the teams in the division with at-large or paid bids. The 1st place Wildcard bid team from Friday automatically makes it to Sunday. Then the top however many teams (depends on the size of the division) advance to Sunday, regardless of bid type.
Yes, it really is at Disney World. ESPN is a massive sports complex on Disney property. There are no hotels attached, however the All Star Resorts (Sports, Movies, and Music), which are Disney resorts, are very close and many (most?) teams stay there. There is an option to stay off of Disney property though. The Disney Resort is really big itself, if you stay at one of the All Star Resorts, you are only 2-3 miles from ESPN. Anywhere else you stay will be further, especially if you are off Disney property. If you want to stay close at one of the Allstars I believe you have to book through the Summit packages, which your coach should be able to assist with. Another bonus of staying at one of the Allstar hotels is that transportation (buses) is provided for free to ESPN.

Check with your gym owner as to what hotel you should be at. At our gym, we are required to stay at the WDW resort that our gym owner selected for us. We are not allowed to stay offsite or at the All-Star resorts. So, just see what your gym owner wants you to do. :)

I'll try to answer most of your questions, though I'm sure others will weigh in.
An At-Large bid is essentially an invitation to go. There are 3 types of bids. Paid bids get money to offset some of the costs, this is the highest type of bid. At-large bids and wildcard bids do not have any type of money. At-large bids are the middle level and get teams automatically to the 2nd day. Wildcard bid teams must compete the first day, Friday, to advance to Saturday where the 2nd and 3rd place wildcard teams will compete against all the teams in the division with at-large or paid bids. The 1st place Wildcard bid team from Friday automatically makes it to Sunday. Then the top however many teams (depends on the size of the division) advance to Sunday, regardless of bid type.
Yes, it really is at Disney World. ESPN is a massive sports complex on Disney property. There are no hotels attached, however the All Star Resorts (Sports, Movies, and Music), which are Disney resorts, are very close and many (most?) teams stay there. There is an option to stay off of Disney property though. The Disney Resort is really big itself, if you stay at one of the All Star Resorts, you are only 2-3 miles from ESPN. Anywhere else you stay will be further, especially if you are off Disney property. If you want to stay close at one of the Allstars I believe you have to book through the Summit packages, which your coach should be able to assist with. Another bonus of staying at one of the Allstar hotels is that transportation (buses) is provided for free to ESPN.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Check with your gym owner as to what hotel you should be at. At our gym, we are required to stay at the WDW resort that our gym owner selected for us. We are not allowed to stay offsite or at the All-Star resorts. So, just see what your gym owner wants you to do. :)

Thank you! The whole "stay to play" thing has been very frustrating for me. It's never a hotel I like...

There is no stay to play for Summit. Your gym might require you to stay as a team and use a Summit/Varsity/Disney package but that is their decision. We were told to stay wherever we want. Most are electing off Disney property in a condo complex.

Suggestions for off site hotel/condo?

Basically our whole gym stayed at Mystic Dunes the 2 years I went to worlds/summit and it was our absolute favorite! Get a group of 2-3 moms and daughters together and get the 2-3 bedroom suites and you wont regret it! Everyone in our gym had a great experience here (this was 2013 and 2014). Theres plenty of pools, not overcrowded, the rooms are wonderful (had a full kitchen so we stocked up on groceries for the week/2 weeks which saved us money on eating out). Its also not too far of a drive. 10/10 recommend. Also was not bad on price especially if splitting the cost with others.

Back