All-Star Summit Instead Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2011
Ok, so now that the first successful Summit event has come and gone,... I ask myself 'SELF, why did Varsity create a new event at Disney instead of replacing it with Worlds?'

Remember after all the overcrowding issues with Worlds last year, their solution this year was to add another day (most of us didn't like this idea) but the Excuse for not moving Worlds to a different venue was the lifetime contract they have with Disney!

Sooo, instead of replacing Worlds with Summit which is basically the same time frame anyway, and moving Worlds to a better, larger venue to accommodate more spectators. Now we have two events back to back at Disney at the end of the cheer season.

Does anyone else see anything strange about this picture? I'm really thinking its about the money now?

Jmho

I see your point, but honestly Worlds will forever be at Disney. I was a spectator this year and there really was no over crowding issues. I think they took care of it making large senior and large coed a day earlier. Yea, they had to tell people to get out of the aisles and not to stand but they really didn't have to do much crowd control. None of the 3 session at the HP fieldhouse filled up on Monday. If I'm a USASF person looking around the Fieldhouse on Monday, I'm thinking we took care of that problem.

USASF runs Worlds and Varsity runs The Summit. The Worlds contract with Disney would have been signed (or whatever legal jargon) by USASF. Varsity is a "totally seperate company" legally, although we all know it's not really seperate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I understand it.

I heard a RUMOR that if Varsity showed Disney growth over a certain number of years a new venue would be an option. Regardless of whether or not this is true. UCA - high school, college, all-star, Worlds and the Summit will not be changing venues anytime soon. I know it's annoying, I get it but so is watching people complain about something that won't change.

I get that they are supposed to be separate, but you can't tell me they switched out floors from 'USASF' floors to 'Varsity' floors?
USASF uses nca and uca employees as staff throughout the event.

I know for a fact that the staff that runs Celebration Hall is the same for both events. There are so many crossovers and consolidation of resources that one event is just an extension of the other.

Does anyone know if there were Worlds judges judging at Summit? I'm just staying there's enough of a relationship that contracts could have been worked out to the consumers advantage if that was their goal. But obviously not.

I see your point, but honestly Worlds will forever be at Disney. I was a spectator this year and there really was no over crowding issues. I think they took care of it making large senior and large coed a day earlier. Yea, they had to tell people to get out of the aisles and not to stand but they really didn't have to do much crowd control. None of the 3 session at the HP fieldhouse filled up on Monday. If I'm a USASF person looking around the Fieldhouse on Monday, I'm thinking we took care of that problem.
I guess you were one of the lucky ones because there were plenty of overcrowding issues. There were repeated announcements that teams could not go on to the mat because there were too many people during the end of the small coed semi-finals, and they closed admission to the milkhouse for the Large Coed finals, leaving paying customers such as myself to watch it on a television outside. I believe Large Senior faced the same issues. Monday was a disaster - completely empty to barely half full arenas at any point during the day, and if USASF considers this a success, they are doing the sport an enormous disservice.

I get that they are supposed to be separate, but you can't tell me they switched out floors from 'USASF' floors to 'Varsity' floors?

I know for a fact that the staff that runs Celebration Hall is the same for both events. There are so many crossovers and consolidation of resources that one event is just an extension of the other.

Does anyone know if there were Worlds judges judging at Summit? I'm just staying there's enough of a relationship that contracts could have been worked out to the consumers advantage if that was their goal. But obviously not.

I agree with you. The setup was left exactly as it was for Worlds. The floors, outside tents and the overall set up was identical to Worlds. Celebration Hall exactly the same. They only changed the backdrops in the arenas and the signage from Worlds to Summit.

You're right, there's a TON of crossover. That's not what I meant though. Varsity and USASF are two completely seperate businesses/organizations. If what I was saying is correct (which I believe it is), then it would be like Target trying to get out of their lease without penalty because Walmart is moving in. Target is still terminating their lease even though another store is taking over. They can't just swap out Worlds with The Summit because Worlds is run by Target and The Summit is run by Walmart.

I hope that analogy made sense. :p

Yes, I know of at least one judge that stayed for both events so I would assume that more did as well. I know staff stayed as well.

There were overcrowding issues. The event was about to get shut down and cleared out by the fire marshall before the end of Large Coed. As far as I know/recall, there were not issues during most of the other divisions. I think there are ways to circumvent the overcrowding problems with Large Coed and Large Senior, but none of them are going to be well received by the spectators. I think running these divisions at the same time in the two different venues would make a HUGE difference. I also wonder if putting these divisions on Monday instead of Sunday would help? Or even extending the event by an extra day and put these on the last day. Unfortunately, the issue can only be tackled by scaring people off like they did on Monday this year.

You're right, there's a TON of crossover. That's not what I meant though. Varsity and USASF are two completely seperate businesses/organizations. If what I was saying is correct (which I believe it is), then it would be like Target trying to get out of their lease without penalty because Walmart is moving in. Target is still terminating their lease even though another store is taking over. They can't just swap out Worlds with The Summit because Worlds is run by Target and The Summit is run by Walmart.

I hope that analogy made sense. :p
Varsity and USASF might be separate entities as far as corporate structure and tax id#'s but they are about as affiliated as you can get without being the same organization. I would use the analogy of "common law marriage" instead of Walmart/Target!

I guess you were one of the lucky ones because there were plenty of overcrowding issues. There were repeated announcements that teams could not go on to the mat because there were too many people during the end of the small coed semi-finals, and they closed admission to the milkhouse for the Large Coed finals, leaving paying customers such as myself to watch it on a television outside. I believe Large Senior faced the same issues. Monday was a disaster - completely empty to barely half full arenas at any point during the day, and if USASF considers this a success, they are doing the sport an enormous disservice.

I don't know if I would call myself lucky, just prepared. I got there at 6 am on Saturday morning to see large senior and I got there at 6pm to watch large coed on Saturday night. Sunday I got there at 6am and stayed all day. Now, if you are with a team I understand that you can't do what I did, but if you are just a spectator then overcrowding shouldn't have affected you. (I'm not saying 'you' to you personally, I'm just saying in general)

Soo, back to my original thought process. All they did was extend Worlds an additional day, raise the prices to attend, create a structure for Monday to make even more money, create an additional event only days after worlds which all seem to bring THEM more revenue!
Summit idea is great but did it have to be at Disney?
If THEY were really concerned about the overcrowding at Worlds, why didn't they put Summit during Worlds dates and move Worlds to another venue?

THEY can do whatever THEY want! We all know who THEY are.

USASF runs Worlds and Varsity runs The Summit. The Worlds contract with Disney would have been signed (or whatever legal jargon) by USASF. Varsity is a "totally seperate company" legally, although we all know it's not really seperate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I understand it.

If I remember correctly, @ACEDAD (or someone) said that he spoke to a Disney official and they had never heard of USASF - that they deal with Varsity employees and that's who their contract is with.

Because of all the concerns for not possibly having a seat, i arrived at 8am to watch my cp compete at 5pm. I had no idea what to expect, but I'm glad I did. Honestly, it shouldn't be that way. I remember someone once suggested a venue with assigned seats just like at a concert. If you buy your tickets early, you get good seats. If you wait,.. Too bad.

People stand in line and wait for hours to buy concert tickets, iPhones, and so many other things. I'd do what I have to do to get a good seat at Worlds. But I'd also know it is secure.

#noseatsavingneeded

If I remember correctly, @ACEDAD (or someone) said that he spoke to a Disney official and they had never heard of USASF - that they deal with Varsity employees and that's who their contract is with.

Ha ha,.. @ashley - I just talked to Disney n they said the tickets are issued through Varity! You're soo correct.

Back