All-Star Summit Reflections And Recommendations

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I knew this would happen. Friend just texted me cps gym is having a summit team. Anyone on R5 or 4 can tryout for this Level 2 team. Practice will be for 2 hours once a week. They will only go to the summit on a full paid bid and gym is promoting it as a free trip to disney world. This bothers me.
Let the stacking begin. I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg now that the first iteration of the Summit was so well received, especially in terms of fierce competition. I actually feel worse for the L2 teams at the bid competitions. If this is widespread enough even the legit L2 teams won't even get the bid in the first place.

When are we ever going to see a credentialling system we can build equitable rules/divisions from?

Not holding my breath.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I knew this would happen. Friend just texted me cps gym is having a summit team. Anyone on R5 or 4 can tryout for this Level 2 team. Practice will be for 2 hours once a week. They will only go to the summit on a full paid bid and gym is promoting it as a free trip to disney world. This bothers me.
They won't be the only gym to do this. Best way to combat it is to call the gyms out since Varsity will probably make no attempt to prohibit sandbagging. If you want to compete at a major National competition where a true level team wins, go to NCA - after attending last year I feel like this should be the "true" Nationals for levels 1-5 anyways. Although there have been a couple of teams to sandbag, they got called out pretty quickly and took a LOT of heat for it, and it is a lot harder to form a team solely for the purpose of winning one competition when said comp is held in March versus May.

If you're ever in Cali be sure to look us up and stop by the gym!

I was in the rest room with some Cheer Force girls, beautiful makeup, beautiful uniform, beautiful attitudes, super pleasant, nice young ladies. A gym owner from another gym, I don't remember even what gym and I had a quick conversation with them about, just really nice kids. Probably 12 to 14. Also talked to some super nice Cali girls that had like one of those bracelets that you can slide stuff on attached to her backpack with her name on it. Want one of those for CP's bag.

Reactions: LCK
@whoatiger do you know if there will be any plus/delta on the EP side of the Summit to take any of this feedback into consideration? ESP with regard to event dates and venue?

I can assure you that all feedback is being taken into consideration to make this the best event possible!

This is very sad, especially for the true level 2 teams. I mean really...what is the point? I can't think of any other sports that allow this to happen. Hopefully Varsity will get a handle on this quickly, otherwise this neat event will fizzle very quickly.
But for a gym to promote this as a "free" trip to Disney World is pretty funny. Our team won a paid bid to The Summit this year and it still cost me over $2000 for my athlete and I to go. Airfare, airport parking, food, chaperone's room/tickets, new practice gear, Summit t-shirts, etc. add up really quickly. The paid bid covered transportation from the airport to the hotel, 4 nights at Disney All-Star resort (quad occupancy) and a 4 day park hopper pass for each athlete. It was great to not have to pay for those things, but it was not a free trip.

Best way to combat it is to call the gyms out since Varsity will probably make no attempt to prohibit sandbagging.

As long as it is "legal" we need to email or write Varsity and voice our opinion:

Varsity All Star

I don't care to attend an event that ends up being a showcase for level 5 athletes showing off their level 1-4 skills. With this event being at the end of the school year, they need to have some type of allowance for crossovers and it can be done like NCA. Make your voice known, if they think they will lose money and gyms to the crossover rule, they will make the change.

Let the stacking begin. I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg now that the first iteration of the Summit was so well received, especially in terms of fierce competition. I actually feel worse for the L2 teams at the bid competitions. If this is widespread enough even the legit L2 teams won't even get the bid in the first place.

When are we ever going to see a credentialling system we can build equitable rules/divisions from?

Not holding my breath.

Still have all of my notes somewhere from last years discussion on sandbagging / athlete credentialing. Anyone want them?? I have new ideas with it too. :)

Sadly, this is what I feared. At least with Worlds, the only "crime" is competing "up."

Who knew level 1 and 2 were going to become so popular??

This is very sad, especially for the true level 2 teams. I mean really...what is the point? I can't think of any other sports that allow this to happen. Hopefully Varsity will get a handle on this quickly, otherwise this neat event will fizzle very quickly.
But for a gym to promote this as a "free" trip to Disney World is pretty funny. Our team won a paid bid to The Summit this year and it still cost me over $2000 for my athlete and I to go. Airfare, airport parking, food, chaperone's room/tickets, new practice gear, Summit t-shirts, etc. add up really quickly. The paid bid covered transportation from the airport to the hotel, 4 nights at Disney All-Star resort (quad occupancy) and a 4 day park hopper pass for each athlete. It was great to not have to pay for those things, but it was not a free trip.

Yeah, one season of this, and the true level 2 teams will either not go, or bump down to level 1.

And the true level 1 teams will be "relegated" to prep status.

The summit was enjoyable .I do think that j5 should go back to competing at Worlds. More teams would participate , no crossovers from Sr. Worlds teams and more bids would be excepted. Due to the lack of teams in j5 at the Summit they had to group together the all girl and coed teams in both large and small. I did like it and for everyone thinking about it for next year ...you should go.

This really bothers me.... It makes it tougher for the rest of the L2 athletes and seems like they're treating this opportunity as a joke. I get it, I just don't agree with it.

The vibe I'm getting from our new gym I'm feeling like I'm about to be "that" parent that has a kid at the summit one weekend and worlds the next.

Yikes. I'm not sure if my bank account, their school attendance record or our vacation time (or lack thereof) is more scared of this prospect.

Please in the name of all that is glitter make this more convenient for parents with multiple athletes in the house.

The vibe I'm getting from our new gym I'm feeling like I'm about to be "that" parent that has a kid at the summit one weekend and worlds the next.

Yikes. I'm not sure if my bank account, their school attendance record or our vacation time (or lack thereof) is more scared of this prospect.

Please in the name of all that is glitter make this more convenient for parents with multiple athletes in the house.

And just think...at least you are on the same coast!

So earlier today interesting enough I read the summit thread from last year. It was quite a site to see how everyone's opinions changed lol

But your gym owner wrote this: (ironically I actually screen shot several people this morning and I'm happy this was one of them so now I don't have to go back and find it)

nurehudy.jpg

So do u think they are going next year then?? That is so awesome!!! We may get to see each other at NCA and the Summit!!!:)

So earlier today interesting enough I read the summit thread from last year. It was quite a site to see how everyone's opinions changed lol

But your gym owner wrote this: (ironically I actually screen shot several people this morning and I'm happy this was one of them so now I don't have to go back and find it)

nurehudy.jpg

So do u think they are going next year then?? That is so awesome!!! We may get to see each other at NCA and the Summit!!!:)
Interesting. I do think the level of competition changed a lot of minds... Mine included. I totally scoffed at the idea when it was introduced, but it surely appeared to be a quality competition and well run.

However, I did NOT hear CSP say we'd be going to the summit (its general gym chatter at this point) but I do know our new coach in CLT just had two teams there that won so they've probably discussed it (I would imagine).

wont know anything official about competition schedules until after the summer. But it would be great to meet you!!!!! I'm sure well be at NCA at the least!

IMO if we want our sport to be recognized by "the world" as a sport, we need to treat it more like it. Worlds is our Olympics, you don't see other sports putting on make believe Olympics for individuals not at that level, because simply they are not "the best of the best". Worlds should be that... To yry and make something else a "worlds" like event for lower levels is just a money making scheme. Disney made a KILLING this weekend, and kids couldn't even enjoy the money spent to get into the parks at times because of overcrowding. There are so many other "end of year" comps that are appropriate and fun without the expense and leaving the prestige to those who truly make it to "Olympic" level.

I understand your point of view and it certainly does have that sense of this is a great opportunity for Varsity to make money, but it is a separate event from Worlds and IMO does not cloud the prestige of Worlds. (I think Worlds should come after and that if you are on a World's team you should not be allowed to be on a Summit team). Actually many sports have a Junior Olympic and Junior Nationals and Worlds when it is not an olympic year. I know this to be the case in figure skating, swimming, track, and gymnastics - each run differently but other world sports do in fact have something similar.

Back