Summit Reflections And Recommendations

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by 12stepCheermom, May 5, 2013.

1. Boo21

Boo21 I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    This was my only problem with The Summit. The sandbagging and crossovers. To see kids from Junior 5 stingrays later show up on the junior 4 just squatting in the back and then tumbling to increase their tumbling score (obviously it is not against the rules and I am not faulting Stingrays for doing this) just saying I would like to see no crossovers at all for an event like The Summit. No crossovers for different teams at Worlds so the rules should be the same. If they change the crossover rule this year this would be a perfect competition because everything else was great!

2. nmaggie

nmaggie I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. dawgshow

dawgshow Slow your roll, Sparkle. National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    With the growth of cheer in the last few years, I see this being addressed soon by the powers that be. That's just my opinion and I base it only on feeling, for the record.

4. WCMAN

WCMAN When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The NCA crossover rule would have its flaws. If a gym has a level 2 team get a Summit bid but not their level 4 team.What's to stop a level 2 team from filling their team with level4 athletes that are not competing at the Summit.

5. nmaggie

nmaggie I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    This is true... But I guess it applies to any sport. It's hard to stop teams who are stacking athletes or sandbagging just to win. I'm not sure if there will ever be a real way to stop it. Relying on gyms honestly placing their athletes isn't working;)

6. GiaBellaMom

GiaBellaMom When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We got our pins!!! Yay! They were mailed to our coach this week LOL
    So excited, we picked ours up tonight :)

7. rosebud

rosebud I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I don't remember, was the Summit bids like Worlds bid where you needed to have the same people on the roster but could substitute a certain number of athletes (for injuries or kids that couldn't afford to go?)

8. cheerinatorXdad

cheerinatorXdad Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yeah, I figure this event to become heavily sandbagged so those gyms can claim a trophy, jacket, ring, etc.

9. 5-6-7-8

5-6-7-8 I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    No restriction other than staying in the age / level / large or small.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

10. rosebud

rosebud I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    thanks! I think they should think of the same type of rule since it is set up like Worlds, keep the majority of the athletes that were on the team when the bid was won. Maybe that will help with some sandbagging.

11. allstarmama

allstarmama Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    At a minimum you should have to compete with the same number of athletes that were on the floor when the bid was won. That's just a no brainer for me and can't believe they didn't do that.

12. allstarmama

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    No, and this was the biggest problem for me. Just seems ridiculous that a large team with say 28 or 30 athletes could add kids up to the max # for large. It seemed to me this is what happened. It didn't look to me like there were teams sandbagging down a level. I noticed a TON of nuggeting going on LOL!

13. allstarmama

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I think this would definitely help. I don't have a problem with a few crossovers here and there within 1 or maybe even 2 levels. But when you can just add 6 or 7 kids to a team after you get a bid...that's just silly. It's easy enough for the EP to say you have to compete with the same # of athletes that were on the floor at the time the bid was won.

14. yojaehs

yojaehs Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Verified Member:
    Shea Crawford
    Florida Wildcat Tumbling Director
    I agree there are flaws but it's at least something. Current system of anything goes is not good.

15. Cheer Observer

Cheer Observer They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Ding, Ding, Ding. Whatever it takes to get the hardware and it stinks because teams that should have a legit shot to win with the team that they won the bid with will lose out to teams who load up with higher level athletes to beat them out. I know I'm obviously not the only one who noticed it but with attention being brought to this subject I can only HOPE that some rules will be put into place to curb this practice. In my opinion it would be nice to see the roster handled just like Worlds and that may help to some degree. It would be nice for the playing field to be level for all teams.