All-Star Summit Reflections And Recommendations

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have so many thoughts on The Summit and can't put them all in this post so let me just say that I felt it was run fairly well for a first year event. There is always a fear that the first year of an event can be a disaster but I feel like it went pretty smooth, there are some things that need to be worked out but overall it was a decent event. It would be nice to have the coverage aired on the TV system in the Disney resorts like Worlds was so people who cannot make it to the arena to see a certain team due to practice, getting ready to compete etc. can watch in their room.
As for the sandbagging comments, I agree 100%. This is not a problem just at the Summit but in allstar cheerleading in general. I know there are no rules against it but it's getting a bit out of hand. But as with most things, use it and abuse it until they stop you. It's just a shame for the legitimate teams out there to lose to teams that are "loaded up".
This was my only problem with The Summit. The sandbagging and crossovers. To see kids from Junior 5 stingrays later show up on the junior 4 just squatting in the back and then tumbling to increase their tumbling score (obviously it is not against the rules and I am not faulting Stingrays for doing this) just saying I would like to see no crossovers at all for an event like The Summit. No crossovers for different teams at Worlds so the rules should be the same. If they change the crossover rule this year this would be a perfect competition because everything else was great!

. I know there are no rules against it but it's getting a bit out of hand. But as with most things, use it and abuse it until they stop you. It's just a shame for the legitimate teams out there to lose to teams that are "loaded up".

With the growth of cheer in the last few years, I see this being addressed soon by the powers that be. That's just my opinion and I base it only on feeling, for the record.

I think the NCA/UCA Nationals crossover rule should also apply to the Summit, where you can crossover from one team to another within the same level, but not to another level. Even though I didn't love this rule when I had to choose between my senior 3 or senior 4 team to compete with at NCA... I think it somewhat prevents sandbagging.

Otherwise this event looks awesome, and I love that it gives non-worlds teams an opportunity to compete against teams they never would have otherwise. Every athlete works hard, and everyone deserves to be recognized!
The NCA crossover rule would have its flaws. If a gym has a level 2 team get a Summit bid but not their level 4 team.What's to stop a level 2 team from filling their team with level4 athletes that are not competing at the Summit.

The NCA crossover rule would have its flaws. If a gym has a level 2 team get a Summit bid but not their level 4 team.What's to stop a level 2 team from filling their team with level4 athletes that are not competing at the Summit.

This is true... But I guess it applies to any sport. It's hard to stop teams who are stacking athletes or sandbagging just to win. I'm not sure if there will ever be a real way to stop it. Relying on gyms honestly placing their athletes isn't working;)

Whoever gave you your participant badge thing and your park pass should have given you your Summit pin at the same time. Our gym gave them to our team moms to distribute and she pulled our pin out of a Ziploc that she had our park passes in, too. Now, I know a couple of CPs lost their pins that first day.

Varsity, if you're reading, we love the pins, but the black things do not stay on the back.
We got our pins!!! Yay! They were mailed to our coach this week LOL
So excited, we picked ours up tonight :)

I don't remember, was the Summit bids like Worlds bid where you needed to have the same people on the roster but could substitute a certain number of athletes (for injuries or kids that couldn't afford to go?)

I don't remember, was the Summit bids like Worlds bid where you needed to have the same people on the roster but could substitute a certain number of athletes (for injuries or kids that couldn't afford to go?)

No restriction other than staying in the age / level / large or small.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

At a minimum you should have to compete with the same number of athletes that were on the floor when the bid was won. That's just a no brainer for me and can't believe they didn't do that.

No, and this was the biggest problem for me. Just seems ridiculous that a large team with say 28 or 30 athletes could add kids up to the max # for large. It seemed to me this is what happened. It didn't look to me like there were teams sandbagging down a level. I noticed a TON of nuggeting going on LOL!

thanks! I think they should think of the same type of rule since it is set up like Worlds, keep the majority of the athletes that were on the team when the bid was won. Maybe that will help with some sandbagging.
I think this would definitely help. I don't have a problem with a few crossovers here and there within 1 or maybe even 2 levels. But when you can just add 6 or 7 kids to a team after you get a bid...that's just silly. It's easy enough for the EP to say you have to compete with the same # of athletes that were on the floor at the time the bid was won.

I agree there are flaws but it's at least something. Current system of anything goes is not good.

Yeah, I figure this event to become heavily sandbagged so those gyms can claim a trophy, jacket, ring, etc.

Ding, Ding, Ding. Whatever it takes to get the hardware and it stinks because teams that should have a legit shot to win with the team that they won the bid with will lose out to teams who load up with higher level athletes to beat them out. I know I'm obviously not the only one who noticed it but with attention being brought to this subject I can only HOPE that some rules will be put into place to curb this practice. In my opinion it would be nice to see the roster handled just like Worlds and that may help to some degree. It would be nice for the playing field to be level for all teams.

Back