Super Seniors

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ja-Mez said:
ACEDAD said:
[quote="Ja-Mez":3suo5cvw]
-keep super senior age the the same (18, don't change to 17) , but adjust the age cut off date to August 31st like the other age rules in cheerleading, as well as make it consitent with school cut off dates and other "rec/league" sports cut off dates

This is already in place to happen this year.

I heard that they were actually planning on changing it to 17 as well[/quote:3suo5cvw]

I have not heard this.

I personally think they should just keep it age..18 and below for Senior divisions. For Rolling Stones, we don't have anybody on our team that's in college.

Maybe they could do something like college sports - you have 5 years to compete 4 seasons? Actually I am not sure that is a good idea now that I think about it.

In youth football, soccer, baseball etc do they let a kid still compete after they go to college if they are age eligible?

to only have 4 years to compete we would have to become an NCAA sport... and that is VERY unlikely. It wouldnt allow people to teach cheer camps or allow a year long season.

cheerymom said:
I think one of the difficulties with "super seniors" is the commitment level to an allstar team. In April/May when allstars are trying out, the kids are coming to the end of the season, many are sad to see it end and wanting to hang on to what they know. Then summer/fall rolls around and they get involved in their college activities and now it's more difficult to make practices, make practices sober, avoid scheduling conflicts, etc. That can be frustrating for the rest of the team. I want my kid to move on. Cheer college or not, if an open team opportunity arises she can consider it. Allstars have been a life changing experience for her and have provided her with opportunities she could never get anywhere else. Now it's time for her to take those lessons and move on...

Very well said...I agree and hope my cp moves on to college cheer after hs graduation

Kingston said:
to only have 4 years to compete we would have to become an NCAA sport... and that is VERY unlikely. It wouldnt allow people to teach cheer camps or allow a year long season.

Sorry I didn't mean like that. Nothing to with NCAA - just a similar idea. My original thinking was in the senior division, but then remembered it isn't just high school so I couldn't figure it out because I would have no clue how they could monitor it since they are currently unable to monitor other areas.

Just a question - why wouldn't they be able to teach cheer camps?

wouldnt they be considered professionals then?

Kingston said:
wouldnt they be considered professionals then?

Exactly.. athletes can't get paid or get any monetary compensation for their time. Though, personally I don't think it should be an issue anyway. We held camps and were volunteer coaches. I don't think this is the place to discuss whether or not it should be NCAA recognized, because the sport is too infantile at the moment. I think after a few years, the discussion could be really important and could help shape the molding of athletes on a more linear scale of progression (youth-senior all star then to college cheer as the next level instead of an alternate "option") - I think they should complement each other, not work against each other. :starjump:

cheerymom said:
I think one of the difficulties with "super seniors" is the commitment level to an allstar team.

This is why my daughter didn't stay with Warriors her last eligible year. She moved to Mohawks (IOC5) during her freshman year. She just felt like she wouldn't be able to give it her all like she had for 5 years before.

In regards to super seniors, I think it was better when they left the age at may 31st. I don't like seeing kids that can super senior for 3 years after they graduate, but when they moved the age to august, it shut alot of kids out of super senioring. i understand that they still have the opportunity to do international, but it isn't always quite the same thing as the senior level 5 teams at all gyms, because, most likely, the gym alot of these seniors will super senior at aren't necessarily the one they've been at in previous years if they're at college. I like the idea of athletes having one year to super senior because there are alot of kids that are just not cut out to cheer in college, its comparing apples to oranges. plus going away to school is a new experience that can be overwhelming, so having something familiar to you the first year you're there can be helpful. I know all star cheer has taught me a great deal of time management, and I would love to do a team in college just for that same drive that I've had all through high school. depending on where you go to school, there isn't necessarily an open team around you, but there's a good chance there's a gym with a senior team. this is all from the perspective of an athlete of course who is about to age out. maybe once i actually go to college my opinion will change. but i liked when athletes still had a one year leeway. after that, it is time to move on.

I really like it. I know one girl from my gym is in college and cheering allstars.
Her school doesn't have a strong program and she works at the gym as a tumbling instructor.
It's really convenient and a way to let these girls/guys get one more year out of something they love.

I don't think it would kill the industry if super seniors were gone...those kids would probably just move to an international team instead.

ACEDAD said:
McLovin said:
Kingston said:
can a team outside the states compete in the club divisions?

Absolutely!! I think the whole international division thing was dumb to begin with.

McLovin is correct. They just have to meet the same age grid and level rules.

Technically, teams outside the US can compete in the club divisions as there is no rule prohibiting it. But practically it is impossible. Competition organizers outside of the US can only offer International Bids and teams are only allowed to win bids in their own country.

but i liked when athletes still had a one year leeway. after that, it is time to move on.

i AGREE! some athletes might really want to move to a gym that they've always dreamed of cheering on for their senior year, (i know i do) and it would be sad to take away that opportunity for them. it should be their choice, not the "industry's" choice, because everyone has their own preferences!

Back