Sweet Summer Reads

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2015
Click For Full Article

There’s nothing more we love than curling up on the couch, or by the pool, or in the hammock, or never getting out of bed because of a good book. Not sure what to read next? Check out these from The Book Depository (free shipping!!).

The One Memory of Flora Banks, by Emily Barr

30849412.jpg

Flora has anterograde amnesia. She can’t remember anything day-to-day: the joke her friend made, the instructions her parents gave her, how old she is.
Then she kisses someone she shouldn’t, and the next day she remembers it. It’s the first time she’s remembered anything since she was ten.
But the boy is gone. She thinks he’s moved to the Arctic. Will following him be the key to unlocking her memory? Who can she trust?

I Hate Myselfie : A Collection of Essays by Shane Dawson

51S0X3wt6NL._SX326_BO1204203200_.jpg

The book that more than 12 million YouTube subscribers have been waiting for! Shane Dawson’s memoir features twenty original essays-uncensored yet surprisingly sweet. Shane Dawson has always been an open book. From his first YouTube vlog back in 2008, to his feature film debut “Not Cool,” to a cover story in Variety magazine, Shane has documented his life pre-tty thoroughly. We’ve seen awkward and adorable Q&As with his mum, weight loss center drama, love life details, and the all-important haircut reveal. We’ve seen his hilarious spoofs of Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton, and Sarah Palin. His music videos are awesome. But in I Hate Myselfie, fans will finally get a chance to see the real Shane through personal stories that are at once humorous and heartwarming, self-deprecating and totally inspiring. Highlighting key moments of his childhood and adolescence, through his phenomenal success on YouTube, and continuing on to his more recent experiences as an actor and director, Shane’s memoir will feature the silliness and satire his fans already enjoy, but it will be even more in depth, more real, and more portable (it’s a book).
Doing It : Let’s Talk About Sex… by Hannah Witton

41An1BfUjPL.jpg

Sexting. Virginity. Consent. The Big O … Let’s face it, doing it can be tricksy. I don’t know anyone (including myself) who has sex all figured out. So I’ve written a book full of honest, hilarious (and sometimes awkward) anecdotes, confessions and revelations. And because none of us have all the answers, I’ve invited some friends and fellow YouTubers to talk about their sexuality, too. My book is for everyone, no matter what gender you identify as or who you fancy.

We talk about doing it safely. Doing it joyfully. Doing it when you’re ready. Not doing it. Basically, doing it the way you want, when you want. So. Let’s do this …

I Am Malala : The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban, by Malala Yousafzai

9780316286633_p0_v4_s550x406.jpg

*Winner of the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize*

When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley, one girl fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday, 9 October 2012, she almost paid the ultimate price when she was shot in the head at point-blank range.

Malala Yousafzai’s extraordinary journey has taken her from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations. She has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and is the youngest ever winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

I Am Malala will make you believe in the power of one person’s voice to inspire change in the world.

Holding Up the Universe, by Jennifer Niven

91pGsJc95-L-212x300.jpg

Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout.
I know the part I want to play here at MVB High. I want to be the girl who can do anything. Once dubbed ‘America’s Fattest Teen’, she is only seen for her weight. Not the girl underneath. Since her mom’s death, she’s been picking up the pieces in private, alone with her heartbroken father. But now, Libby is ready. She’s ready for high school, for new friends, for love, and for every possibility life has to offer.

Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin too. Be charming. Be hilarious. Don’t get too close to anyone. Yes, he’s got swagger, but he’s also mastered the art of fitting in. What no one knows is that Jack has a secret: he can’t recognize faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He’s the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything, but he can’t understand what’s going on with the inner workings of his own brain.

When Jack and Libby meet, they discover that the more time they spend together, the less alone they feel.

Back