All-Star Switch Kick Or Hitch Kick?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 15, 2010
After watching many routines, I have noticed that there are three ways to do your kick double baskets. You can do just the kick, then double. The switch kick (CEA sr elite) or the hitch kick (stingray orange) and I was just wondering if there are any real difference to any of these score wise? I was hoping maybe a judge on here could reply with which they prefer and why? Or someone from CEA why do you do switch kicks instead of hitch kicks, or the other way around, why does your gym do hitch kicks instead of switch kicks? I think panthers did both at worlds, so someone with that perspective could answer as well.

After watching many routines, I have noticed that there are three ways to do your kick double baskets. You can do just the kick, then double. The switch kick (CEA sr elite) or the hitch kick (stingray orange) and I was just wondering if there are any real difference to any of these score wise? I was hoping maybe a judge on here could reply with which they prefer and why? Or someone from CEA why do you do switch kicks instead of hitch kicks, or the other way around, why does your gym do hitch kicks instead of switch kicks? I think panthers did both at worlds, so someone with that perspective could answer as well.
I'm not a judge, but I always assumed that switch kicks were harder/more difficult, just because the knee only comes up to the chest/halfway in a hitch kick as opposed to a full leg being switched in a switch kick. More height is required to complete it and the timing is more difficult. Or so I always assumed. I'm sure a coach/judge could give you a more official 'ruling.'

Switch kicks done correct are so pretty! One that comes too mind are Caitlyn Krulees from Cali or the last basket flyer on Cali coed....but then again I do just love Cali hahah :)

If a flyer does a switch-kick double correctly it actually makes it fairly easy because the first kick helps them ride the basket up and gain the height they need, or at least that's what i've heard some coaches say. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

The way I would think about is as as following. Any stunt to a heel stretch is harder then any stunt to a lib. So therefore switch kick is a harder skill than a hitch kick but IMO the combination of both in basket section can be beautiful

a) I'm really glad that whoever posted that knows how to spell Beatles...
b) probably my favourite switch-kick, or maybe Erica E. on Coed Elite in 09.. that s**t was insane.
lmao I know finding that video was near impossible! There's so many good ones, I could post for days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVOyP9D49Z4
1:47 its so good it looks like it hurts! haha

no offence to her, or anyone on the team, they are VERY talented and I have nothing against them...
but that is possibly my least favourite switch-kick double I've ever seen.. she's sacrificing cleanness so that she can get her left leg that high. I have no doubt she could pull off GORGEOUS switch-kick doubles, I just don't think that one was

My fav basket of last season was center switch kick doub from CEA sharks... That girl is fierce and I looked out for it every single time. 1:37 mark.

This isn't the clearest vid of it, but you can get the point. Super strong kicks, fast tight twists, air time.

To answer your question as far as scoring:

Jamfest: (off their website) This is for Difficulty Scores - Not execution
9.0-9.3: Majority Kick Double
9.4-9.6: Majority Hitch Kick Double
9.7-9.9: Majority Switch Kick Double
10.00: Squad Switch Kick Double AND Majority other skill (kick or hitch-kick) Double

I dont recall Varsity's exact numeric scores - and am not attending any Varsity competitions this year - but I do know last year, Simple Kick Doubles compared to a Hitch or Switch Kick Double scored SIGNIFICANTLY less. If your attending a Varsity competition, I suggest you dont do simple kick doubles (exceptions would be if your Kick Doubles would score a .9+ in execution)

Latest posts

Back