All-Star Switching Gyms Mid-season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2010
OK, I understand we've all been talking about this issue too... I've always been against it, but I may have changed my mind a bit...

My niece is 10, and she cheers at a very small gym. She is the one of two kids in the whole program with a bhs, and the only one with a tuck. She is VERY naturally talented, and has gotten most of these skills on her own, not because of learning anything at the gym. She flies on their youth level 1 and their senior level 2 (mind you, they have only 2 bhs)..... My sister (her mom) keeps calling me with concerns that they keep dropping her to the ground out of LEVEL ONE stunts and she keeps getting injured. The coaches aren't certified and have no idea what they are doing. Last year, one of the co-owners took fundraising money that supposed to go in the cheerleader accounts and ended up spending it on her own kids. They have managed to stay around this long because they are the only gym within 1.5 hrs of where these kids live. Frankly, I've done choreography with them before, and they are downright scary.At this point, she's getting injured, not having fun, not doing well in competitions, and not progressing her skills...

My niece has an opportunity to go to a gym 1.5 hrs away right now. They have a very successful youth 2 team that is in need of a flyer, and a few of her friends from last year are already there. She had a tryout and they want her. So, my sister is all concerned about betraying the original gym... did I mention her ex-husband's girlfriend is the co-owner? YIKES

Lots of drama, but I feel like moving is the right move, even if it is in midseason....

Opinions?

And, since a lot of you are aligned with me on the issue of not allowing kids to cheer at one gym without being released from another, I'm wondering if there is a way to allow for exceptional cases like this one.

Idk, We had a girl leave our level 5 team 50 days before orlando for kc j5, and I was pretty dissapointed in her,

But our gym is safe. And I think if her safety is in question then get out of their, cheer is too dangerous for uncertified people to be coaching.
Id say leaving would be ok...

At this point, I think it is fine for her to move gyms. Her safety is at risk. She is being hurt each practice and that's not okay. She needs to feel safe in her own gym, and from what I can tell that is not happening.

I would have left a lot sooner. At the end of the day it is about your niece's safety, being dropped out of level 1 stunt is concerning. If they can't go prep level safely then they should be in thigh stands. I can't imagine the danger she may be in on the Sr 2 team! 1.5 hours is a long way for Youth 2 but if they are willing to work with her on that, then I say go!
Have you ever thought of starting your own gym? All your posts on here have shown that you work well with your kids and have a head for this industry....

To me, safety is ALWAYS an excusable issue. Other reasons, depending. But personal safety? Someone who is careless with child safety is probably just as careless with other things..

I would have left a lot sooner. At the end of the day it is about your niece's safety, being dropped out of level 1 stunt is concerning. If they can't go prep level safely then they should be in thigh stands. I can't imagine the danger she may be in on the Sr 2 team! 1.5 hours is a long way for Youth 2 but if they are willing to work with her on that, then I say go!
Have you ever thought of starting your won gym? All your posts on here have shown that you work well with your kids and have a head for this industry....

oh goodness, I would never have the start-up capital for that! I'm struggling just to try and raise money for my current team to have its own gym... But, thank you lol... I did try to start my own gym back in 2003... I was straight out of the NCA college scene and did not know a lick about allstars. I had rented a wrestling gym and practiced with 10 kids all summer... spent $2,000 on advertising for no reason. I happened to be in the middle of a 45min triangle between 3 gyms with fully established programs and level 5 teams.... That was a big reality check that I am not a good businessperson lol.

Knowing what I know now, after being in allstars for the past 6-7 years, I think I would be a great gym owner... but the time, the money, and the fact that I'm already very attached to my kids... it's not really a consideration at this point:)

From what I understand - The rules only pertain to level 5's gym hopping, so for sake of argument - Gym hopping has no penalty. While I agree it seems her safety is at risk - I hope the USASF makes it so there can be NO GYM HOPPING mid season. Parents and kids need to do research prior to joining - and as my point was in the heated topic before - You have ALL SUMMER and part of the competition season to realize this before you start competing. Secondly, if you were her sister and you have done work for this program, you should have warned her. Also - Your sister should have checked into the gym prior. If I had a kid with a tuck - I would not have my kid at a gym with only level 1 and 2 teams anyway....

I'd tell the other gym "bye". She is not going to get better by being held back. She shouldn't have to get skills by herself simply because nobody is able and/or willing to teach her. She is going to continue to get hurt. I don't understand the point of a level 2 team with 2 bhs. And that whole ex husband girlfriend owner situation...just plain awkward. If her mom, your sister, is willing to drive the 1 1.2 hours to the new gym...go for it.

Switch gyms, if the girl still loves cheerleading and wants to do it and learn more and be safe I don't think it really is a question what to do. Getting injuried on top of not having fun is nothing something I'd want to do. When I did cheerleading I had fun, even if at times I got injuried it was worth it because I had the time of my life through it all.

I say go for it. If she is going to get a lot more out of it and it's for her better safety you should have left a long time ago. Good luck have a great season ;)

The rule for gym hopping doesn't only apply for level 5. It is for everyone. You said your original gym was not USASF certified so maybe you would not need to be released by them...BUT if the new gym your niece wants to go to IS certified, then that could be a problem. They may not let your niece join and compete this late in the season, because of some rule that says they have to be on the team competing for ~75% of the season. This may not be true for all gyms but I know a girl who took the season off and just now wanted to be back on the team and the owner told her that.

but as far as whether or not it's "right" to do it, I would. If she is working her butt off and supporting the team by being one of the only tumblers, is not safe, and is not progressing, then she should go somewhere else if she wants to get better. It might hurt some feelings but they will most likely get over it and she will probably be happier somewhere where she can flourish.

From what I understand - The rules only pertain to level 5's gym hopping, so for sake of argument - Gym hopping has no penalty. While I agree it seems her safety is at risk - I hope the USASF makes it so there can be NO GYM HOPPING mid season. Parents and kids need to do research prior to joining - and as my point was in the heated topic before - You have ALL SUMMER and part of the competition season to realize this before you start competing. Secondly, if you were her sister and you have done work for this program, you should have warned her. Also - Your sister should have checked into the gym prior. If I had a kid with a tuck - I would not have my kid at a gym with only level 1 and 2 teams anyway....

Oh, I did lol... the whole issue with the stepmom running the program and the fact that it's near their house has kept her there until now...

Back