T-jump

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 14, 2013
Can someone please explain to me why a t-jump backhandspring is or is not legal in level 2? I've gotten many mixed responses about this issue and I would like to hopefully get this resolved. Thanks in advance!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

a t-jump backhandspring is legal in level 2. T-jumps or straight jumps are not considered actual jumps.

My concern is that the competition we are attending says that it's illegal, unless we can prove otherwise. I just don't want my kids getting deducted for it.

My concern is that the competition we are attending says that it's illegal, unless we can prove otherwise. I just don't want my kids getting deducted for it.

For level 2 , doing a jump to an immediate handspring is illegal, like landing the jump and automatically going backwards (like jumps to tuck). But if you pause it isn't illegal. So like hit the jump on "4" land "5", look up "6", swing "7,8" for the handspring, for example.

t-jump bhs is legal in level 2. You don't need a pause in between. T-jump tuck is legal in level 4 without a pause as well. T-jumps don't count as jumps.

I think the fear is that you go to a local competition and the safety judge rules that it is illegal because he/she is unaware that t-jumps don't count as jumps. If it were specified (perhaps as a "Clarification" as under other rules) then coaches would have something to point to and say "here's where it says this is legal." I completely understand that this cannot possibly be done for every single thing that falls into a sort of gray area... but it is certainly something that I take into consideration during choreography. I water down our routine for our first comp not because the kids can't hit but I'm not sure the judges (local rec comp) know the nuances and I've been burned before. That really sucks, much more for the kids than for me. Hard to explain that something *should* be legal and we have no recourse to get those deducted points back.

I think the fear is that you go to a local competition and the safety judge rules that it is illegal because he/she is unaware that t-jumps don't count as jumps. If it were specified (perhaps as a "Clarification" as under other rules) then coaches would have something to point to and say "here's where it says this is legal." I completely understand that this cannot possibly be done for every single thing that falls into a sort of gray area... but it is certainly something that I take into consideration during choreography. I water down our routine for our first comp not because the kids can't hit but I'm not sure the judges (local rec comp) know the nuances and I've been burned before. That really sucks, much more for the kids than for me. Hard to explain that something *should* be legal and we have no recourse to get those deducted points back.
your best bet is to get it in writing from [email protected]

I just had this clarified with USASF and a T jump BHS IS legal....

However, the USASF needs to redefine jump in their glossary. According to themselves a jump and any time someone uses their legs to propel themselves off the ground. So even their own definition is a little shaky and leads to confusion

We had that in our routine, and we received deductions from it because the judges said that the T jump could have been considered very bad pikes. So just make sure that the kids do not put their feet in front at all because even though, it was clearly (or at least I thought) not a pike, they still gave us that deduction.

Back