All-Star Taking Some Time Off :(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 10, 2017
My CP's gym's evals and tryouts are starting tonight. We had a private on Fri and one yesterday to try and push past this block she is having. It is a long story but we've been working for over a year at it. She hit a wall on Fri and yesterday. She said while she was standing there waiting to throw the next pass, she realized she was bored with it. After a long talk, we realize she is bored being at the same level for as long as she has been (5 years). She doesn't feel any excitement or passion right now. Much to my dismay, she has decided to take at least this summer off from being committed to any one all star team or gym. She is on her school's team and will continue to tumble weekly (more than that if she'd like) and still work on her skills. But by not having the pressure of a deadline, we are both hoping she blossoms. She made this decision last night before going to tumble with her school team and I could already see a difference in her disposition.

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. But I am supporting her. I know this is not something she came to lightly. We are going to see where the summer takes her and reevaluate then

I have to tell you, my cp quit AS cheer 2 years ago, and this is going to be 3 full seasons... My cp wanted to focus on HS, running track, dancing and she is only a freshman, but her 1st year doing HS cheer, she has proven to be a leader on the squad and even worked with the Captains and Coaches in creating new sideline cheers, she is a leader on the step and the dance teams at her HS too... So stepping away from AS cheer has given my cp a new focus and life outside of the gym...

Btw, Nothing is wrong with taking a break and explore other options, after all, this is not a job, RIGHT!

PS: I must admit my cp's tumbling progression suffered by her taking a break from AS cheer, but who knows, had she continued doing AS cheer, with its demanding practices and traveling schedule, she probably grew to hate everything and fail in HS or worse suffered mental blocks..,

Last edited:
I hope she enjoys her break! Sometimes a breath of fresh air is all they need to realize they truly love something and want to go back, or realizing something else is calling.

We have enforced a moratorium on all cheer, all types for 1 full year after the disastrous season that we'll call number 4. By pulling back on cheer, CP has found a sport that not only makes her heart beats but one in which she's excelling at in ways I never once considered possible.

Her sister is still cheering this year, so it'll still be in our lives, but had mine not been forced into a break she may not have ever realized what running meant to her.

I never had many school friends before I quit cheer. My friends would invite me places, but I could never go. I had cheer. After I quit, I made friends, cheer at our state championship football game, went to parties, took the hardest classes and got great grades. Plus, my GPA improved because I had more time to study properly. I was never the best tumbler, and my skills did decrease. Also, I hated not being in "cheer shape" and the way my body changed from missing the rigorous practices and workouts. By and large, though, it was a good choice for me. I'm glad my mom let me make the decision.

I hope she enjoys her break! Sometimes a breath of fresh air is all they need to realize they truly love something and want to go back, or realizing something else is calling.

We have enforced a moratorium on all cheer, all types for 1 full year after the disastrous season that we'll call number 4. By pulling back on cheer, CP has found a sport that not only makes her heart beats but one in which she's excelling at in ways I never once considered possible.

Her sister is still cheering this year, so it'll still be in our lives, but had mine not been forced into a break she may not have ever realized what running meant to her.

I missed something. Haven't been on much. Sorry to hear thar your girl is taking a break but if it is that bad, it is for the best.

I missed something. Haven't been on much. Sorry to hear thar your girl is taking a break but if it is that bad, it is for the best.

I shared more in the parent area than I have in the general forum, I think. It was bad...really bad, bad enough for me to pull her and her sister from the program early. Younger is still cheering, but she is moving over towards rec and away from All-Star. Older still talks about cheer from time to time, but the comments are more, "I'd go back if...[insert bad part] doesn't happen again." It breaks my heart when I hear it because against my better judgement I didn't pull her as quickly as I may have in hindsight. But she dove head first into running---which was something she was always doing on the side anyway. Today I woke up to an e-mailing congratulating her on setting a new course record for Female 8 and Under from the race she did this past weekend so she's not only loving racing, but is excelling at it. The boost to her confidence, the improvement at home and in school are huge so it was definitely the best decision we made.

My CP's gym's evals and tryouts are starting tonight. We had a private on Fri and one yesterday to try and push past this block she is having. It is a long story but we've been working for over a year at it. She hit a wall on Fri and yesterday. She said while she was standing there waiting to throw the next pass, she realized she was bored with it. After a long talk, we realize she is bored being at the same level for as long as she has been (5 years). She doesn't feel any excitement or passion right now. Much to my dismay, she has decided to take at least this summer off from being committed to any one all star team or gym. She is on her school's team and will continue to tumble weekly (more than that if she'd like) and still work on her skills. But by not having the pressure of a deadline, we are both hoping she blossoms. She made this decision last night before going to tumble with her school team and I could already see a difference in her disposition.

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. But I am supporting her. I know this is not something she came to lightly. We are going to see where the summer takes her and reevaluate then

My heart is with you. I have been there NUMEROUS times. Sometimes taking time off really does help. My cp took some time off and came back with a whole new attitude, but she chose it not me. Advice from one mom to another (who's been there and done that) don't pressure her. (Not saying you do, just saying :) ). Let her take the wheel. I used to be a crazy cheer mom. I would yell at my cp for not trying hard enough when I paid for privates. I would say things that I regret and could never in a million years picture myself saying now. She has to truly want it, but sometimes they can get burned out. I can understand her frustration of being on the same level for so long as well. That can't be motivating. If she wants it bad enough, she'll go for it. If she doesn't, that's ok too. Just be her rock :)

I am where you are right now, and it is so hard. After 11 years of cheer , 7 of them in AS cheer, my CP has decided to not go to tryouts tonight. I left this decision totally up to her, just asked her to write out the pros and cons. She said she just doesn't love it right now and we travel too far and give up too much not to love what she is doing. I had to respect that. She messaged her coach today and told her not to forget her and if they ever have a spot and the timing is right to reach out. I on the other hand don't know what I am going to do with myself! My son is headed to the Coast Guard in August and now no hours and hours and months and months of cheer I am sad. But if she is happy I am happy. That is how I handled moving gyms and her now her early retirement :)

Mine decided to do half year this season if they have it again. She does school cheer and it's her freshman year and she is doing extra courses during summer school so she can take electives during the school year. And after trying to juggle all the school activities and AS last year she realized she would spend the entire summer through October in a state of complete burnout.

This season there were a lot of days that she left the house in the morning for school and we didn't get home until almost 10 pm because their football games were scheduled on the same days they practiced for AS. I would be picking her up with snacks and she was literally changing clothes in the car with us getting there with 1 minute to spare which sucked. I think it was a good decision for her, and she will also be tumbling at the gym so she can keep in touch with people.

What was funny is that she had sort of a bad season this year due to their team being plagued by injuries and a bunch of trouble and then the personalities sort of not clicking. Going into the end of the season she was really tired of it and actually was ready to quit altogether. But they ended their season on a high note and I think it reminded her what she loved about it. And then after taking a few weeks off she was a little sad that she didn't go to tryouts. But she knows it's for the best and we'll most likely be back in November. But you have to let them come to that conclusion on their own.

Allstar is just such a huge time committment that I can see how they get burned out. It doesn't leave much time for other things, especially during competition season. I will miss some parts of it as well, but just think of all the money you'll save during her break. :)

Mine decided to do half year this season if they have it again. She does school cheer and it's her freshman year and she is doing extra courses during summer school so she can take electives during the school year. And after trying to juggle all the school activities and AS last year she realized she would spend the entire summer through October in a state of complete burnout.

This season there were a lot of days that she left the house in the morning for school and we didn't get home until almost 10 pm because their football games were scheduled on the same days they practiced for AS. I would be picking her up with snacks and she was literally changing clothes in the car with us getting there with 1 minute to spare which sucked. I think it was a good decision for her, and she will also be tumbling at the gym so she can keep in touch with people.

What was funny is that she had sort of a bad season this year due to their team being plagued by injuries and a bunch of trouble and then the personalities sort of not clicking. Going into the end of the season she was really tired of it and actually was ready to quit altogether. But they ended their season on a high note and I think it reminded her what she loved about it. And then after taking a few weeks off she was a little sad that she didn't go to tryouts. But she knows it's for the best and we'll most likely be back in November. But you have to let them come to that conclusion on their own.

Allstar is just such a huge time committment that I can see how they get burned out. It doesn't leave much time for other things, especially during competition season. I will miss some parts of it as well, but just think of all the money you'll save during her break. :)

Similar to what is going on with my CP this season. Just gong to continue classes and privates as needed to maintain her skills and looking forward to half year and school cheer. And, ITA about the money I am going to save, not traveling alone is going to save us a ton but I am worried about being disciplined enough to stash some for the following season...LOL

Not an article focusing on cheerleading exactly, but a good read nonetheless: The Race to Nowhere in Youth Sports - Changing the Game Project

And to be honest, this is something that all star cheer fails miserably at and high school cheer (what I coach) is only marginally better at. We are done for the season by March and I try not to have to much going until June so that my kids can at least do a spring sport. All star cheer's season goes literally from the last competition until tryouts for the next season. No wonder kids get burned out.

All star cheer's season goes literally from the last competition until tryouts for the next season. No wonder kids get burned out.

Burnout and also what about overuse injuries? What about time for kids to adjust to those growth spurts and growing pains that happen in the growth plates. And also, a break from the drama. Most teachers I know tell me that breaks are important, there is a lot of social an emotional growth that happens over the summer when the kids have some time apart. Our gym has had a year filled with some drama and I've wondered if some of it could have been avoided if the kids/parents had a break from each other at some point.

Taking time off is a good idea if your CP has initiated it. (and sometimes the parents have to initiate it too). Just be prepared that if your cp does return, they may have to deal with seeing people have advanced way ahead of her. My CP took a year off, and during this time, others who were a level below her gained skills and are now ahead of her. She understands, but it took some getting used to at first.

Latest posts

Back