Talking During Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

FTSP

Cheer Parent
Aug 22, 2012
Okay so how do I get 28 Division 12 girls to stop talking? They have run laps,done push ups,and have not been able to stunt due to talking.
Help before all of the coaches resign.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Go right into cheers, no breaks in between them. If you're working on stunting and they start talking, say "Spread out right where you are, we're working on cheers." Then go right into them. No breaks between them = no breaks to start talking. Then you're actually working on things that are important and not wasting your time. If all else fails, make them go sit with their parents. Don't let them waste your time. Make sure the parents know that it is a safety issue - if they're not paying attention while you're trying to teach skills, it isn't safe.

Duct tape.

Kidding (sort of). At that age they LOVE to talk. No stunting till the talking stops works. I would also have a meeting with all of the girls and their parents and explain that the talking has become excessive and you will not stunt or jump until it stops, and if that means doing nothing at practice, then that's what it means (wasting their time and the money they paid for the program). That should help things.

We always do burpees if we talk too much. Like 30 0f them, and it goes up by ten each time.

I agree with @MissBee though, its too dangerous to be stunting when there's that much talking going on.

When I coached rec, I made them condition. Or if I was feeling really mean, I'd make them run around in a circle while cheering, non stop.
They practiced right behind their football players so they looked silly and learned how to use their voices the right way.

I have 10 high school girls who are guilty of this. I'm glad they are so close that they talk to each other about everything, but they need to learn to do it outside of practice. I tried conditioning, yelling, etc. but the only thing that seems to work is I sit down right where I am, don't say a word, and watch to see how long it takes them to stop talking. That's how long we stay after practice. I also learned to take away their cell phones at the beginning of practice and they only get them back at the end. If their parent needs to get ahold of them then they can call or text me, otherwise it just creates issues and bad attitudes. Good luck!

I have 18 11-14 yr old...they too luv to talk. When excessive or at inappropriate times (stunting), I immediately stop what we're doing and alert them we won't continue until they control themselves. They don't like wasting practice time so they usually get better after 1 time. Extra conditioning has happened as well but I save it for major offenses.

I have used 2 different methods- when they start talking i start counting by 5's at the end of practice that is how many v ups they owe me- or they start running and are not allowed to stop till they run around the mat 5 times without anyone saying a word.. sometimes it works other times i just beat my head against the wall and sit down and do absolutely nothing until they stop talking.

My high school girls love to talk.. typically i make them run.. however.. lately when i do, i ask them questions like: "Why do you think you are running?"... typical answer "We were talking".... then I elaborate.. "Why would I be making you run just because of talking?" ... then they start saying things like, "we were too loud, we were not paying attention".. if we are stunting, i will reinforce why else? they then will be like "because it is unsafe"... so it is childish, but it's also making them understand WHY not just run because you spoke. I want them to have fun, but there are certain venues where it needs to be more quiet.

All of the above suggestions are great, I'd just like to add one more. Have group leaders/captains; and of course this assignment is easily taken away as was given. I personally find that the girls mostly start talking when they are bored....so no more boredum. If I am working with one group at a time, it becomes the responsibility of the group leaders for the groups that are not doing anything to come up with something for them to work on such as sidelines, motions, jumps, even tumbling.....and absolutely make the most talkative person in the group the group leader. If they are the one that usually gets the conversation going/continuing, they're now the one that will stop it and come up with something constructive for the group to do. Have a 2-3 minute before practice starte with the group leaders and let them know how practice will work today and what you expect of them. I have 7th and 8th graders and it works wonders with them......

So I have resorted to bribery. We have our first comp in 2 weeks and they need to focus. So I made a bow and showed the team. The deal is no one is reminded to be quite to pay attention everyone gets a bow. One person has to be reminded no one gets one. I am hoping I am up late Saturday night making bows. Lol

I am sorry that you are having such a tough time :(

Maybe showing them what the level of comp that will be up against at the comp will help? Or maybe you can inspire/scare them by watching the championship video that was shot from the floor during the awards ceremony at Nationals last year.

We have been struggling with attention too, but ours are so much younger than your team. I wish I knew the answer.

Wow so they didn't get to wear bows to comp? That's so sad. We are having the same problem with our team. (9-11 year old) they also want to tumble and jump around all the time. It drives me nuts. Tonight we have a closed practice at a local church. No parents! We are less then three weeks away from our first comp so every time someone talked they condoned. I finally getting Thur to them. Hopefully your girls will firgure it out. Good luck.

Back