All-Star Tattoos?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 7, 2010
Whats your gym's rules on tattos and piercings? i know for my team piercings they have to be taken out before we compete , but i dont think we really have one for tattos.

They try to enforce piercings out or taped for practices, but a lot of the senior girls get lazy and just leave them in. They're definitely out for competitions though, and tattoos are just left as is.

there was a girl on my team who had a tattoo on her side (we wore half tops) they made her buy this bottle of spray stuff, but it looked like the color of her skin.. not sure what it was exactly but it covered it up well from the crowd

there was a girl on my team who had a tattoo on her side (we wore half tops) they made her buy this bottle of spray stuff, but it looked like the color of her skin.. not sure what it was exactly but it covered it up well from the crowd

kinda like what strippers use to hide bruises (or so Im told)...I think tats should just be left alone if not vulgar...a big spot of makeup looks less attractive to me

Piercings at practice have to be taken out (if not new or still healing...if so they have to cover it with something) tattoos don't matter at practice but we had one senior last year with a tattoo down the left side of her back kinda and we wear half tops but they just put a skin colored bandage over it and it works!

As a judge, and even just as a spectator...I cannot stand to see these tats all over when girls are wearing crop tops. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I would prefer to see something covering it. It is very distracting...and sometimes, quite unbecoming (on girls at least). I have seen some real doozies. At practice, I don't think it matters as far as tattoos go...piercings (particularly belly button and eyebrow, etc.) should be removed for practices and comps.

There isn't rules about piercings but its common sense to take them out. Being on an international team we have a lot of girls with tattoos and a lot of them so they don't have to cover them up and I don't think you can see it from the stage anyways.

If you have a distracting tattoo you are taking away from what is beign performed... cause were all looking at your tattoo. Just kinda the way it is.

Same with distracting haircuts, over makeup, crazy hair-dids, nail color, glitter... a number of things. So many times people want to do showy things to make them stand out and get noticed... the problem is your skills get LESS noticed cause of the craziness.

If you have a distracting tattoo you are taking away from what is beign performed... cause were all looking at your tattoo. Just kinda the way it is.

Same with distracting haircuts, over makeup, crazy hair-dids, nail color, glitter... a number of things. So many times people want to do showy things to make them stand out and get noticed... the problem is your skills get LESS noticed cause of the craziness.

At NCA a couple years back this girl had like bright red hair and a tattoo that showed on her neck and I was watching them preform and that team could've done the most outrageous stunts and tumbling and I would've still been focused on that girl... It was crazy and way distracting.

ANY jewelry needs to be removed for practice and competition... I learned that one the hard way when I had my belly ring ripped out during practice down at NCA one year. It was painful, and the scar is hideous.

I also think tattoos should be covered for competition. This sport is about looking as uniform as possible, and any kind of nutty hair color or visible body art does not go along with that!

Jewelry should definetly be removed during practices and at competitions. Covering it up with a bandaid does nothing. The sweat makes it come off and it doesn't prevent the piercing from hurting the person wearing it once that elbow comes down on their face. I once had a girl with her eybrow, lip, labret, tongue, nose, and ear (the middle part). Not to mention top/bottom/left/and right part of her belly button. She was a walking human pin cushion. I had to have her start taking her jewelry off about 15 min before they performed b/c it took so long to undo all of it. She would complain so much b/c she wanted to wait until the absolute last min to take it off b/c she was afraid the holes were going to close up and she spent so much money getting them done. I told her I didn't care and she needed to take them out all of the time or else she just couldn't cheer. It was a constant battle, but she always took them off. She knew I wasn't playing with her when I stuck my hand right out and made her give me her tounge ring on the spot.

As for tatoos, I agree that they should be covered up. They are very distracting. Sephora sells a great body coverup that will cover the tatoo. Even if it is not a perfect match at least from a distance of the stage and the judges it will do the job.

One thing that I've learned is to tell them upfront in the beginning of the season about the rules regarding crazy hair color, piercings, and tatoos. The earlier you tell them, the less of a headache and resistance you will get from both the kids and parents later on.

I personally am not one for Tats. I dont like them, period. However I appreciate people want to express themselves. In the past we have never had a girl with a tat, until this year. She was 19 and had a LARGE butterfly on her hip bone. We wear full length tops but it was very obvious when she lifted her arms. So we made her wear a tank top under her uniform top so it couldnt bee seen. She didnt appreciate it but thats what it was. And she had to respect our stance. As a program we are generally more modest and like to have our girls covered up, so having a tatoo hanging out simply wasnt an option.

raee:] said:
There isn't rules about piercings but its common sense to take them out. Being on an international team we have a lot of girls with tattoos and a lot of them so they don't have to cover them up and I don't think you can see it from the stage anyways.

Your gym may not have rules about it but there are USASF safety rules regarding piercings/jewelry

There is makeup designed specifically for covering up tattoos, Kat VonD designed a line and I think you can get it at MAC or sephora or both

Being a somewhat heavily tattooed person myself I don't find them offensive or inappropriate in any way, but I do agree with king that it is important for everyone to be uniform so it's probably best to cover them up if they are visible in you uniform. I think a giant bandage is just as distracting as a tattoo though for the record

Back