High School Teaching Transferable Skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2015
Do any of you make it a POINT to do this?

For example: Yesterday we hosted a kid's clinic for a fundraiser. I obviously accounted for the money, but I gave the responsibility of planning the event, right down to the minute, to a senior athlete who showed interest. She chose the material, assisted her teammates in adapting it to appropriate difficulty based on age groups, planned the event from start to finish, "MC"'d, adjusted to and dealt with problems as they arose, and sought my help as needed. I feel like it was a great learning experience for her, and one more thing that I didn't have to mess with this summer beyond being available for consultation.

Edited to change the word "me" to "her" in one sentence where I obviously got ahead of myself.

Last edited:

For example: Yesterday we hosted a kid's clinic for a fundraiser. I obviously accounted for the money, but I gave the responsibility of planning the event, right down to the minute, to a senior athlete who showed interest. She chose the material, assisted her teammates in adapting it to appropriate difficulty based on age groups, planned the event from start to finish, "MC"'d, adjusted to and dealt with problems as they arose, and sought my help as needed. I feel like it was a great learning experience for me, and one more thing that I didn't have to mess with this summer beyond being available for consultation.
Bumping because this sounds like an excellent idea.

For example: Yesterday we hosted a kid's clinic for a fundraiser. I obviously accounted for the money, but I gave the responsibility of planning the event, right down to the minute, to a senior athlete who showed interest. She chose the material, assisted her teammates in adapting it to appropriate difficulty based on age groups, planned the event from start to finish, "MC"'d, adjusted to and dealt with problems as they arose, and sought my help as needed. I feel like it was a great learning experience for her, and one more thing that I didn't have to mess with this summer beyond being available for consultation.

Edited to change the word "me" to "her" in one sentence where I obviously got ahead of myself.

Not so much for cheer, my county has always required a capstone project/experience for seniors. Almost every single project has some sort of event that goes along with it. For mine, I used my position as a school officer to plan a tailgate for HC with activities and food for the community. I helped get the attractions, I got a caterer, I made the name tags (alumni, community, current students) all with little help from the class sponsor who was also my senior project teacher.

Some of these projects in the past have been cheer/dance related. People teach routines for the middle school as part of their senior project, one teammate organized a mini camp with a performance at one of our bb games.

All SGA things at my school are student led. We raise money and all senior activities come from how money we make from freshman year on. The classes that had the most successful fundraisers/dances, have the nicest and cheapest prom. We really build events ground up, and the big projects help in the workforce.

Only way I know how to coach! Get these kids ready for being an adult.

Recent quotes of mine from practice, paraphrased:
"You don't have to run suicides if you're late for your job, they could just fire you."
"Your mom better not be calling your college professors to tell them you're sick on a Tuesday, you call your own coaches and let them know."

Back