High School Team Punishment?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My team has always gone by team punishment and personally I do not think it works. If one girl was late we would be forced to do suicides and that only led to multiple girls coming late cause they figured they would have to run the suicides anyway for a different girl. Then there was this huge "situation" with 2 out of the 18 girls on the squad that led to huge group punishment (lasted weeks) where girls would get sick and hurt from the workouts. The worst part was one of the girls did not even take part in them one practice because she wasn't feeling up to it.
What did they do? Girls were getting sick??? What kind of stuff did you have to do? Thats crazy

^^^The novelty of "omg big sleepover time with all my best friends like omggg love you girls so much" has worn off.

The "kumbaya" of camp excitement is wearing thin. You're tired. You're sick of walking everywhere. You remember that you actually don't like Jenny that much and no amount of camp kumbaya is changing it.

Your stunts aren't really hitting and the "OMG I love my new stunt group" is slowly fading. You've passed "It's ok girls, love you! You got this!" to snapping at your flyer.

If you're not the type of child who likes to be away from home, you are starting to feel it.

I do think the away camp experience is valuable in that sense, though. It teaches great life lessons.
Perfect

Sorry for the double post but I see it way more at four day camps than at three day camps. I really only see it at three days camps if it's a home camp or if the team has a a lot of kids that are BRAND new to cheer. Camp can be overwhelming for kids that have been cheering for years, but it can be a nightmare for kids that have never cheered a day in their life which was me in eighth grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a 4 day camp my first year it was a struggle

Next year seniors and coaches have been discussing this topic for the upcoming year. Last year we did lots of team punishment. It was moderate for repeated mistakes (but hell at camp and one really bad day) and pretty bad if someone misbehaved. More lines and bearcrawls then you can count. Is team punishments for these thibgs common? Does your coach do it? Worth the time to do it?

Your coaches are flirting with disaster. Do they know all team members medical history? Are they CPR certified? Is there a defibrillator on hand? This is in the high school thread and even at the collegiate level, MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, have stepped into this issue. I recommend you read this or have your parent read this:

Is The NCAA Legally Responsible For Player Injuries And Deaths? | Litigation & Trial Lawyer Blog

better yet here are the recommendations of the NATA:
Athletics trainers: Don't use exercise as punishment, tailor workouts – USATODAY.com

Camp day 3 gets every team! I always prep my kids for it, letting them know ahead of time what its going to be like! We usually have a reward if we make it through the day with good attitudes. Our "we were good on day 3 reward" only happened one season so far! Here's hoping for this next season!

I LOVE the day 3 award! Year after year they know what to expect, but it still breaks them. I hope your team earns that day 3 award!

Exhaustion! You're sore. You're tired. You want real food, and dinner that isn't served at 4 in the afternoon. You want to sleep in your own bed without a roommate. You are sick of the peppy staff that also wants you to be peppy at 8 am. You're mentally overloaded from all of the new material and while cheerleading for 4 straight days non-stop sounded like fun, at that point you question your entire life decisions that lead you to that point. You're tired of walking everywhere, especially with those blisters that have now formed from your semi-new cheer shoes. You're tired of cheering non-stop with little to no breaks, because even on the short UCA breaks, your coach wants to practice because tomorrow is camp championships and you still don't know the dance well enough!

Day 3 though, is one of the reasons we still go to UCA camps. The bonding that comes out of day 3 is worth every bit of it. Between day 3 and championships on day 4, your new team feels like they've been through it together and come out much stronger!
Hey now ;)

Lol! Should have mentioned that peppiness is MUCH needed, but definitely not appreciated! It's one of those times that you don't want but do need! I can only imagine how bad day 3 could be without that pep!

Edited to fix some terrible spelling thanks to my phone! Wth does appeeaciated even mean?!? Thanks auto correct!

Last edited:
Lol! Should have mentioned that peppiness is MUCH needed, but definitely not appeeaciated! It's one of those times that you don't want but do need! I can only imagine how bad day 3 could be without that pep!
Trust me, it's hard to be that excited all day because the staff is just as tired as our campers, but thankfully we have spirit naps to get us through the day. The Jump and Wave helps, but it's mostly naps that get me through Day 3.

ETA:
16ie1bo.jpg

It's not just day 3. Naps get me through camps.

Trust me, it's hard to be that excited all day because the staff is just as tired as our campers, but thankfully we have spirit naps to get us through the day. The Jump and Wave helps, but it's mostly naps that get me through Day 3.

ETA:
16ie1bo.jpg

It's not just day 3. Naps get me through camps.
The fact that they're called spirit naps... LOL.

Back