All-Star Teams With Illegal Elements Winning A Worlds Bid?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I will say people do make mistakes from time to time (even amazing coaches!). I made one last year at Worlds actually (which, coincidentally was the same one called on GT6, cant throw people from one tosser to another). It was a fluff illegality, so trivial and I had so much on my mind with making sure everything else was in place (we had added the fluff a day or two before leaving). But it has made me more careful on checking every single piece of everything.

Hah this happens at NCA all the time, I've heard some horror stories of teams getting slapped with deductions for illegal skills that they've gotten away with at local competitions all year. I believe there should be a lot more accountability at smaller competitions for legality judges because in my experience you can get away with a lot.

Not to knock smaller competitions, but you might be dealing with less-experienced/less-qualified judges that might not pick up on those things. Grade 9 soccer refs working a local rec game aren't going to spot fouls that an experienced Grade 7 ref working a regional tournament would.

This is the reason I posted my thread about athletes knowing their level rules.

As an athlete, I would feel pretty uncomfortable trying to tell some of my coaches they were wrong and I was right. Sometimes it really wouldn't matter if an athlete knew or not.

But I do agree kids should try and learn the rules if they can. :)

As an athlete, I would feel pretty uncomfortable trying to tell some of my coaches they were wrong and I was right. Sometimes it really wouldn't matter if an athlete knew or not.

I never said tell the coach he/she is wrong and prove you are right. You CAN, however, bring it to their attention in a respectful and appropriate manner, which I'm sure most coaches would appreciate.

I have noticed a lot of questions lately about whether or not a stunt or tumbling sequence is legal. Shouldn't the coahes be memorizing the rules for their level as soon as they know what level they are coaching? It worries me when kids are posting "my coach is having us do x,y,z..is it legal?" And it isn't...

This happened with the example I gave earlier with my college team. We had the extensions in the 45 second routine and someone pointed out to the coach that she thought it was illegal. Oh boy you better believe the coach was not happy, screaming about how she knew the rules and she was right and don't question her. And of course, lo and behold, .5 deduction when the whole freaking score is out of 10. That kills.

So what do we think about the following facts:

Fact #1. GT IOC5's partner stunt was illegal at WSF
Fact #2. GT was not called for an illegal stunt by the judges at WSF
Fact #3. GT IOC5 received a paid bid to worlds from WSF
Fact #4. If GT would have been called for the legality, then Midwest large limited would have most likely received the paid bid from WSF.
Question #1. Should WSF correct their mistake and award Midwest with a paid bid?
Question #2. WILL WSF correct their mistake and award Midwest with a paid bid?
Question #3. Do you even care because this competition was a month ago and a month in cheerleading is an eternity?

I personally do not fault GT. I still believe that they should maintain their paid bid and an additional paid bid should be awarded to Midwest.

I believe that WSF should make a correction and give a bid to Midwest if they were next in line for a bid. I do not blame Gym Tyme because they competed at an NCA event with the same stunt and it wasn't called for being illegal. As far as I know they honestly didn't see the problem, and hey mistakes like that do happen even to the smartest coaches. The judges that should know the scoresheet forwards and backwards should have caught the illegal stunt and called it, therefore leaving WSF at fault. Now will they fix it? Not so sure, but I sure hope that they will or I could see it hurting their reputation slightly .

I believe that WSF should make a correction and give a bid to Midwest if they were next in line for a bid. I do not blame Gym Tyme because they competed at an NCA event with the same stunt and it wasn't called for being illegal. As far as I know they honestly didn't see the problem, and hey mistakes like that do happen even to the smartest coaches. The judges that should know the scoresheet forwards and backwards should have caught the illegal stunt and called it, therefore leaving WSF at fault. Now will they fix it? Not so sure, but I sure hope that they will or I could see it hurting their reputation slightly .

I am gonna say that is the wrong gym to deny a bid this year. Just sayin'.

I am gonna say that is the wrong gym to deny a bid this year. Just sayin'.

Exactly, if the problem isn't fixed and instead just swept under the rug then WSF will take a big hit in the reputation department and next years nationals might just be smaller in size.

Well Midwest got an at large bid didn't they??? I'm sure it would be easy enough for WSF to correct their mistake with a donation to the team to cover the cost of worlds...

Back