The 'catch The Flyer At All Costs' Mentality. Realistic?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I do think that someone should try to catch a flyer if possible. I used to be a flyer and i hated being dropped, so i don't, or try not to, drop my flyer.
I also don't think it's ok for a flyer to hit a base. Both are most likely unintentional, but it's still not ok. My coach always says that it's not ok for a base to drop a flyer or for a flyer to hit a base.

All in all, if your flyer is falling, you try as hard as you can to catch her. Not hurting yourself would be great also, but if she's falling away from you, there are 2 or 3 other stunt members (depending on if you stunt with or without a front) that should be able to catch her.
What I really hate is when the flyer falls in a way where no one can catch them.... I mean, we just have to admit it. We have to try as hard as we can to catch them, but sometimes there's that freak fall where they end up going over everyones heads or something.

This may sound weird, but my flyer was the BEST at falling. She never did anything weird so I could just bear hug her and she'd be fine.
The worst and scariest thing I've seen is when a flyer is in a lib/heel stretch and they kind of step over the foot they're standing on with the other foot, over the base's heads. Or when all of the sudden they're detached at the waist and their head's pointed at the ground with a leg up in the air...that's scary!

Back