All-Star The Cheer/tumbling "achievement Gap?"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

oncecoolcoachnowmom

Bestest Newbie '14
Mar 2, 2014
There was a discussion going on in a thread started by @Zyylophone
that got me thinking. I work in schools and we spend every day discussing The Achievement Gap (the different factors that widen it and what we can do to close it.)

This other thread got me to thinking about gaps and patterns of note in cheer.

I notice that just like there is an achievement gap in schools, there is kind of a tumbling gap in kids, caused by lots of factors, but mostly the economic kind. Athletes tend to fall into 2 categories.

Category A:

*Somehow gets skills between practice and open gym.

*Maybe cheers HS and gets extra gym time there but not much.

*Has a home situation that is not super conducive to doing a ton of extras to get tumbling (live far from the gym, lots of school activities, another sport, parents working crazy hours and not always available for rides to things, fortunate to just be able to afford cheer at all.)

*Not as well-connected in the gym due to the above. Not as familiar with coaches because coaches don't see much of them outside of practice. Result: lack of relationship and coach investment. Because of distance, parents working odd hours, their parents do not know many of the coaches OR other parents. So even if they can afford that extra class no one can take kid because they're not in the gym enough to know anyone to ask if Suzy can carpool.

Category B:

*Has 2 teams worth of discounted team tumbling every week before practice.

*Has 2 privates per week.

* Goes to open gym 2 hours before practice if no class or team tumbling.

*Takes additional tumbling private at
gymnastics facility across town that costs twice as much as previous 2.

*Has favorable home situation conducive to extras (one parent is either a SAHM or has flexible hours to drop kid at these things, only sport is cheer, financially doing well that a $x00/hour gym private at Elite Gymmastics is no big deal, limited siblings, possibly homeschooled or likely has parents who can pick up or drop off early from school.)

*Factors like parental job flexibility and more time in the gym lead to increased connections with and investment from staff. Ex: Level 5 clinic coming up and Category B's parent is somehow unavailable? Category B's mom doesn't have to say "nope can't take you." She simply asks another parent bc she has those relationships.

Look at these 2 kids and tell me which is most likely going to make a Worlds team or high level team? Likely Category B.

Same goes for HS too. A good number of my HS athletes lean toward B. Not EXTREME B like the above, but (example) our tumbling coach offered a tryout prep type class at his gym that not only cost but was 45 min away at another location and 90% chose to attend.

Even if they both made a Worlds team (maybe Cat A got on because she is a beast base or they put her on bc she managed to some minimum L5 tumbling), which one is going to have issues keeping up and not being moved to S4?

Same with HS, even if they both try out, which one is most likely to make it, and the other make it as an alternate that cheers games only?

Category A. But by no fault of her own. She's not less talented. She just doesn't have the $ or resources to put in work like B does. She may not necessarily have less money, but also time.

MOST kids fall BETWEEN A and B. Like, their parents can afford the occasional private or class. Or like, one class at a time. Or sometimes they have the time to drive Suzy up early for open tumble but not multiple times a week.

The B kids are not everyone. But they repesent a lot of what I think the industry focuses on and gyms gravitate toward. Because $$$$, and time to devote, etc.

Yes the work is worth it but the work also costs time and money.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Disclaimer: I am in no way bashimg those who have a lifestyle that makes it easier for yours to be Category B! Just having a discussion.

Last edited:
To me, prep should be for the A’s, and feed, after level 3, into a limited travel team that expects slower progression. That competes mostly regionally and doesn’t bid-chase. And I say this as a mom of an A, who loves to cheer, but it’s not her only interest, and who fully expects her cheer career to end at age 14 because no gyms in our area have prep past junior level, and to end it doing beautiful walkovers because none go past a level 1. I think gyms should woo those A kids-those who did gymnastics or dance in elementary school, but can’t do the schedule expected as middle schoolers, those kids who have other interests but want to play a sport, and should have multiple teams for them that don’t require missing multiple days of school for team travel and that keep the budget in mind. And I think that maybe, especially in areas where a team could do a decent number of competitions within a few hour drive that wouldn’t require, it might actually turn out to make money for the gym. Because I know a lot of CP’s friends who have dropped sports down to doing something for the School one season when they would love to do more-but can’t swing it due to time. My guess is that if the gym actually pushed and advertised prep teams, especially for middle school and early high school age, instead of using them as a place to park “not yet ready for travel” kids who show up for tryouts, they’d be able to get kids for them.

Because the fact is, there are a lot more A’s than B’s. And every sport seems to assume that the only kids who want to do it past about age 10-11 are B’s.

Last edited:
I commented on that other thread too. But I'll chime in here.

We can't necessarily change the opportunities outside of practice available for each athlete. So my suggestion would be to change the opportunities within regularly scheduled practice. Set aside a portion of time in practice to work on skill building. When CP is in dance class, she learns technique as well as the performance piece. When you focus solely on the routine, you are "teaching to the test". It is short term thinking and does not develop the athlete. When you start investing in your athletes, you begin to build loyalty and a solid program that will grow.

Another thing is to schedule Tumbling in a time convienent to tie to practice. If you have to do the drive to get your child there at 6:30,getting them there at 5:30 may be tough, but is likely easier than getting them there at 5:30 a different day of the week, because you then are only making one trip, not two. It may not be ideal to have tumbling before practice, but it’s better than no extra tumbling at all.

And when you schedule the only tumbling for a level at 3:30 PM or 8:00 PM, don’t complain that no one shows up!

Interestingly enough, I think this can swing the other way too. The gym at which I used to coach offered unlimited tumbling classes for team athletes. What I often found was that "group B" athletes were actually in the gym more often because their parents would drop them off for the entire evening instead of bringing them strictly for practice. A lot of those parents worked nights, etc., so it was easiest to take their kid to the gym at 5 for tumbling, leave them for practice, and arrange a ride home at 9.

Interestingly enough, I think this can swing the other way too. The gym at which I used to coach offered unlimited tumbling classes for team athletes. What I often found was that "group B" athletes were actually in the gym more often because their parents would drop them off for the entire evening instead of bringing them strictly for practice. A lot of those parents worked nights, etc., so it was easiest to take their kid to the gym at 5 for tumbling, leave them for practice, and arrange a ride home at 9.

Right. And there are kids who are talented enough that they actually get a good deal of their tumbling in Open Gym because that open time is all they get. so they learn to make the most of it. They're a rarity (those who may not have the financial advantages of others but work hard enough to advance and gain skills with the little time they have.)

Last edited:
One thing about being in category A is that it is leveled off in college Cheer. They don't allow doubles. If you can get solid r5 tumbling and flying or basing skills you have a shot at cheering in College.

I replied in that other thread too but I think our gym does a pretty good job limiting this gap as much as possible.
-the only tumbling allowed, is in our gymnastics facility so no rushing over to another facility
-gym does not offer privates
-gym offers group classes daily which are fairly inexpensive

Yes some people are still able to take more classes than others but the gap is not nearly as large. I would imagine some people would like more flexibility and less control from the gym, but it works well for us.

Back