All-Star The Current State Of Allstar Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was talking with a friend the other day, and was asked what my favorite competition was. My answer was, once you've been to one, you've been to them all. The locations were what I talked about. It used to be, the lights/stage etc were rare, and made those comps special. Now, even 1 day comps have lights/smoke etc. There's nothing special about any of them anymore. We used to have a ton of 1 day comps...but now they're getting to be just as expensive as 2 days, and they way they draw out the schedule, I'm there for 14+ hours. Not fun.
I agree. We have a nationals near us and the registration fee was over $150 for 1 day (prep team). I am one that will talk with my money and found another competition. However, we are one of those rural areas where there aren't a lot of IEPs, so the comps are mostly Jarsity. We also try to keep everything within 3 hours with the exception of our last competition which we keep within 6-8 hours.

PS: Cutting the fat with uniforms can happen simply by athletes renting from the gym and at the end of the season returned uniforms (cleaned) or pay a cleaning charge or if uniform is damage, pay replacement cost...

I'd love to do uniform rental. However, a newer/smaller program likely isn't going to have that option because the money to buy them in the first place has to come from somewhere. So even if your rental fee is low, they'll be making up the difference somewhere else.

Does anyone's gym actually give you the invoice from the uniform manufacturer or is the $XXX the price being quoted by the gym. I do know of several cases where families paid for uniforms that were manufacturer freebies to the gym (this goes for practice clothes too... and tshirts and bows). So those "$400" uniforms may not really be "$400" uniforms... that's just how much we are paying ;)

Does anyone's gym actually give you the invoice from the uniform manufacturer or is the $XXX the price being quoted by the gym. I do know of several cases where families paid for uniforms that were manufacturer freebies to the gym (this goes for practice clothes too... and tshirts and bows). So those "$400" uniforms may not really be "$400" uniforms... that's just how much we are paying ;)
10 years, two gyms and 5 uniforms (x2 I might add)and come to think of it I've nvr seen or been offered one. The cost seems to get lost in the cost of everything else so you tend to forget that it's a completely separate expense for that "uniform" year....

I'd love to see all star go the Acro & Tumbling route when it comes to uniforms. I think it would give all star a more professional image overall and would probably cost a whole lot less than a uniform with about a million rhinestones and cutouts.
im kinda surprised gyms dont rotate through their old uniforms every now and then, it would probably cost a lot less, and most gyms hold on to them for a certain amount of time.
its like the CA panthers 2013 worlds uni, they used it once (and once more at summit) and then they sit in a box and collect dust so to speak. granted in their case i think those unis were free from rebel, but countless teams get new unis and then a season later they replace them. Leveling up and having to buy a new uni i can slightly understand but i cant understand the athletes who are on these level 5 teams and have to buy a new one every other season for the same team.

Last edited:
im kinda surprised gyms dont rotate through their old uniforms every now and then, it would probably cost a lot less, and most gyms hold on to them for a certain amount of time.
its like the CA panthers 2013 worlds uni, they used it once (and once more at summit) and then they sit in a box and collect dust so to speak. granted in their case i think those unis were free from rebel, but countless teams get new unis and then a season later they replace them. Leveling up and having to buy a new uni a can slightly understand but i cant understand the athletes who are on these level 5 teams and have to buy a new one every other season for the same team.

You read my mind. I was going to mention this because all I want to know is: Soooooo what happens to the old uni that is only 2 years old? Just hand them down or recycle them Or How about you come up with a signature logo or uni design, copyright and/or patent it and just roll with that for example: Levels 1-2 always where this style, 3-4 have their version of it, and your level 5s/worlds and above would be the only ones that would get a reboot every couple of years but again if a team is a team that is well known and has kind of become the "brand" to that gym I would go with a signature uniform because then it would become like badge of honor to where "that" uniform and/or there goes "X" Team or they must be on Team "X" KWIM.

In our area, a gym that has been around the block a time or two has started recycling old uniforms by doing the rental thing. As far as I know, our gym opened and did rentals from the start but we weren't with them at that point and I have zero idea how they did it. However, I know last year's uniform---since they were having to deal with the cover up rule, was a mass purchase of black l/s tops and skirts from GK and then the gym did the crystals themselves with their own heat press so it was no where near the same cost.

We pay varsity directly for our uniforms, it is broken down by every little charge. Everyone's uniform price is different depending on the uniform and even the difference in a youth skirt versus adult skirt .. so we are paying the true varsity price for the uniform!
We are paying ours this week :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We pay varsity directly for our uniforms, it is broken down by every little charge. Everyone's uniform price is different depending on the uniform and even the difference in a youth skirt versus adult skirt .. so we are paying the true varsity price for the uniform!

That's an interesting piece of knowledge. Our gym has set prices and we purchase off the pro shop. I am sure an AM with 1+ sleeves is more than YXS.

One more thing that will increase costs - the new notion of extended competitions, such as NCA (I have a feeling this may start to become a trend). Coaches now have to stay an additional 2 nights, meaning increased travel costs to the gym and/or parents. Not only does this increase costs, but it also means more team practices get cancelled during that time. I'm sure this is not something coaches and gym owners are a fan of. They don't benefit financially at all and cancelling practices is never looked at in a positive way from a parent/athlete perspective.

I swear you seriously have the best gym ever!

I swear you seriously have the best gym ever!

Lol it's nice to see how much the cuff on the wrists cost, or the motif on the arms cost.

It doesn't make ours any cheaper of course as we have some very beautiful and expensive uniforms but atleast they are transparent with what everything costs.

Lol it's nice to see how much the cuff on the wrists cost, or the motif on the arms cost.

It doesn't make ours any cheaper of course as we have some very beautiful and expensive uniforms but atleast they are transparent with what everything costs.

I think transparency goes far and would really be nice in this industry. Too much of it is "just pay! Don't look behind the curtain or even open your mouth!"

I don't give the invoice to my parents, but considering everything except uniform, shoes, and their travel (all within 6 hours) is included for < $2000 a season, I don't feel the need. Our uniforms are also nowhere near the $400 mark. I mark up enough to cover the taxes and shipping. In fact, with uniform and shoes, they might just hit the $2000 mark for the season.

That being said, it's funny when the uniform company forgets the invoice from the manufacturer in your shipment. Talk about mark-up!!

Back