All-Star The Current State Of Allstar Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Once again, you've knocked the ball right out of the park.
Thank you, just trying to "keep it real."

I personally, would like to see these types of threads giving options versus blaming. In another thread I listed the top ten convention centers, as far as, sq footage, the GWCC is ranked #4 and Kay Bailey Hutchison is ranked # 10 with numbers 6-10 only being separated by 90,000 sq feet. Based on that information we have to wake up and smell the coffee.

#1) There aren't hundreds of larger venues EP's can move large and growing events to.
#2) Varsity does not control the hotel industry. Repeating it over and over does not make it true.
#3) AS has been identified as the largest revenue generators in the cities with these convention center events.
#4) AS season has a limited window .

As events get maxed out, EP's can cap registration or expand days, both are going to cost us money. THIS is the current state of AS. There are only so many venues, so many seats in arenas, so many hotel rooms, and so many seats on a plane. And, in the spirit of keepin' it real, look at the threads on Fierce Board. Outside of actual competitions, the favorites are: Uniforms, practice wear, World/Summit bids and music. It is hard to convince gym owners and Varsity those things don't matter when they're the dominating topics.

The real problem I have with transparency in the sport is around judging. The difference in scores at a Varsity competition can vary greatly from week to week. Also Varsity is in bed with some of the larger gyms from an entertainment, promotion and apparel perspective.

Why in the world would anyone spend their money and subject their kids to an environment that they don't have to, if they feel it is this corrupt? At the risk of alienating myself further, I truly believe one of two things are going on. Either people really believe what they say and enjoy being fools and draining their finances for no reason. Or, they actually see the benefits, make the sacrifices, and have just become "shimmy" and "like" whores when it comes to bashing businesses and people.

I love so many things about cheer. The inclusivity of all abilities and body types, the team aspect, performing, friends, skill building, I could go on and on. I would hate to see some people not be able to experience these things because cheer gets too expensive.

Coming from Australia, I feel like we are a few years behind America when it comes to trends. But honestly I don't know if that's a bad thing. Australian cheer is in a wonderful state right now, it's growing without pricing people out...yet.

You don't need 3 new sets of fancy sublimated practice wear every year. You don't need to fly across the country 3 times a year. You don't need $400 uniforms with more rhinestones than you could ever count. What you do need is hope, passion and a dream to be the best cheerleader you can be. I have none of the material items, but the hope, passion and dream is what I do have. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

From a 14 year old who would like to cheer for the next 10+ years and doesn't want the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality to stop her from chasing her passion.

And you my young'un....you have such a positive head on your shoulders, and a pureness. Don't lose it, never lose sight of what you just said now. It'll take you so far in life.

I was talking with a friend earlier about pro sports, "why do they spend so much on stadiums? Why do the players get so much money? Look at our struggling school systems, homeless, blah blah".... And then I was reading this thread. I'm not about to make a comparison between AS and pro sports, but my comment to him I feel stands true for All-Star as well..... You can't blame the owners for charging what they do, or venues for their prices, apparel companies etc. We can only blame ourselves because we pay it, faithfully and without hesitation. Is it a bad thing? No not necessarily because it's what we do for our kids (for me it's x2). We can't complain though if we are going to continually pay it and support it. Why would I as a business owner NOT attempt to make as much as I can if I know people are going to pay regardless? I'm more concerned with the quality of events. Yeah even the smaller ones are becoming more "flashy",but bright lights and more vendors doesn't equal a quality event for the gyms, athletes and more importantly the parents paying the fees for those events to happen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you, just trying to "keep it real."

I personally, would like to see these types of threads giving options versus blaming. In another thread I listed the top ten convention centers, as far as, sq footage, the GWCC is ranked #4 and Kay Bailey Hutchison is ranked # 10 with numbers 6-10 only being separated by 90,000 sq feet. Based on that information we have to wake up and smell the coffee.

#1) There aren't hundreds of larger venues EP's can move large and growing events to.
#2) Varsity does not control the hotel industry. Repeating it over and over does not make it true.
#3) AS has been identified as the largest revenue generators in the cities with these convention center events.
#4) AS season has a limited window .

As events get maxed out, EP's can cap registration or expand days, both are going to cost us money. THIS is the current state of AS. There are only so many venues, so many seats in arenas, so many hotel rooms, and so many seats on a plane. And, in the spirit of keepin' it real, look at the threads on Fierce Board. Outside of actual competitions, the favorites are: Uniforms, practice wear, World/Summit bids and music. It is hard to convince gym owners and Varsity those things don't matter when they're the dominating topics.

Why in the world would anyone spend their money and subject their kids to an environment that they don't have to, if they feel it is this corrupt? At the risk of alienating myself further, I truly believe one of two things are going on. Either people really believe what they say and enjoy being fools and draining their finances for no reason. Or, they actually see the benefits, make the sacrifices, and have just become "shimmy" and "like" whores when it comes to bashing businesses and people.

You believe what you want, I can only speak for myself and what we have experienced with my CP and her teams. As for why I would pay for this? My CP loves it and that is what is important to me as a parent. I am there for my daughter, not to win or think things are fair. That being said I am not blind, and the judging is not fair, transparent or consistent. I can provide examples of this from this season and the video's exist to back this up. On top of that, the owner of my CP gym has another owner of a competing gym come up to him during a competition to warn him that there was something "weird" with the judging(this was a major gym). This isn't hearsay as I was standing right next to them at the time.

There is more I could say, where I have personally witnessed stuff that in any other industry would be consider conflicts of interest.

I'm sorry if that's the way it's coming across. That is not my intention. However I have never been one to hold my tongue and maybe I'm not saying things in the best manner (been watching too much political coverage lately). If you read more than 2 threads I think you will find that I am very positive about much of the sport but also very honest about where I see shortcomings.

ETA: You have me confused with someone else because I never said I was glad I could pull my child before she got too far into it. I would say going to Worlds multiple times and being a gold medalist is definitely far into it ;)

Yep, apologies on that comment. It was said by someone else on a page where you had been posting.

Similar to what has already been said about Australia, I live in New Zealand and I didn't realise just how lucky I am to be cheering somewhere where we don't have to pay all of these costs. Apart from Worlds teams, (Of which there is only one in the country) all competitions are within driving distance or a cheap $6 flight away. We don't have to pay for all the practice wear, and my $5o uniform has last me multiple seasons. The most expensive competitions I have been to have never really past the $3o mark. To some, this may seem like we don't try hard enough, but I really appreciate this, as competitions are more about talent than uniform, and anyone with the right attitude can give cheerleading a go. We participate in community events and do fundraisers to earn money, and since cheer in New Zealand isn't as large, generally only one or two teams will be at an international competition, meaning that the whole country will back a team, regardless of their gym.

Back