All-Star The Kid Who Just Doesn't Want To Be There..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 28, 2010
For all age levels, it seems like there's always someone who just doesn't want to be on the team. I've seen it soo many times. The kid who's parent is making them, the one who wants to be there half of the time--maybe, the girl who is 'too good' for whatever level they're on so they don't try, the one who just goofs off and doesn't care.

Coaches, what do you do? Especially at this point in the season.

For all age levels, it seems like there's always someone who just doesn't want to be on the team. I've seen it soo many times. The kid who's parent is making them, the one who wants to be there half of the time--maybe, the girl who is 'too good' for whatever level they're on so they don't try, the one who just goofs off and doesn't care.

Coaches, what do you do? Especially at this point in the season.

Check out my earlier thread about kids getting frustrated... it kind of addresses that issue, but I have more than one of those on my team. In the past, talking to the parents has sometimes been helpful. Try talking to the kid first, and see where their head is at. I once had a girl flat out tell me she hates flying but her Mom won't let her cheer unless she flies. That was the source of alot of her attitude problems at practice. Now she bases, but Mom's not real happy about it lol

Check out my earlier thread about kids getting frustrated... it kind of addresses that issue, but I have more than one of those on my team. In the past, talking to the parents has sometimes been helpful. Try talking to the kid first, and see where their head is at. I once had a girl flat out tell me she hates flying but her Mom won't let her cheer unless she flies. That was the source of alot of her attitude problems at practice. Now she bases, but Mom's not real happy about it lol

This is more of a general post but, I will say that about a year ago I heard a youth aged girl say she didn't really have to try too much because that she hated cheerleading and she was quitting next month (They had a big comp in a week or so then had about 3 weeks until the next one so she was "quitting" after that comp)

This is more of a general post but, I will say that about a year ago I heard a youth aged girl say she didn't really have to try too much because that she hated cheerleading and she was quitting next month (They had a big comp in a week or so then had about 3 weeks until the next one so she was "quitting" after that comp)
Yikes! Unfortunately, there has always been a lot of "cheer mom" going around... it is what it is. If people are going to force their kids to do something they don't want to do, you can really only do your best to try and make it positive and enjoyable for them. Sometimes a passionate coach can get kids into it who wouldn't have been before, other times it will eventually come to the conclusion you mentioned above- they'll move on to something else.

Yikes! Unfortunately, there has always been a lot of "cheer mom" going around... it is what it is. If people are going to force their kids to do something they don't want to do, you can really only do your best to try and make it positive and enjoyable for them. Sometimes a passionate coach can get kids into it who wouldn't have been before, other times it will eventually come to the conclusion you mentioned above- they'll move on to something else.

Seriously I think that cheer moms ruin the sport for their children. They get pushed way too hard and way too fast to the point where they just end up hating cheerleading. From my experience the people who last the longest and really enjoy themselves, especially in allstar, don't have the pushy parent behind them.

Seriously I think that cheer moms ruin the sport for their children. They get pushed way too hard and way too fast to the point where they just end up hating cheerleading. From my experience the people who last the longest and really enjoy themselves, especially in allstar, don't have the pushy parent behind them.

That is very true... they are also the kids who aren't breaking down their bodies from multiple injuries either!

Back