All-Star The Majors By Jamfest Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would never give up my high school graduation for a cheerleading trip. ever. And my parents probably would have skinned me alive for even thinking about it. Granted, I went to a private high school and they spent a LOT of money on my education, but still...that's a very defining moment for someone.

How do you fight for Allstars to be considered a legit sport when we can't even get a handle on which competition makes you the real NATIONAL or WORLD CHAMPION. Enough trying to re- invent the wheel.How about trying to make the competitions that we already have better. It seems all about the $.
Sometimes growth needs to be spurred by competition. No one can say for sure what Jamfest's long term plans are for the Majors, Jamfest Europe, or just in general, but most of us are aware of the rumors to be independent of the USASF. The USASF has taken steps to improve Worlds at least, but still leave much of the industry improvement moving at a snails pace. Even if the Jamfest rumors are true, and they still fail, if it somehow motivates USASF to improve the industry sooner than later, I'm all for it.

How many athletes wearing a national champion jacket tell their friends, "What you see across my back is wordplay?"

parents are finally becoming aware of this:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7793056/cheeramyid_the_ultimate_ponzi_scheme.html?cat=9

Word play is crucial to revenue when calling the same skill sets activity, sport, and entertainment all in the same breath.

This article is really ridiculous. While I agree that being a "national" champion isn't really that big a deal anymore because of the number of "national champions" out there, I think the scathing description of cheer and our industry is a bit overblown. To say that none of us are properly trained is really not fair. I shouldn't waste my breath because it's really just another article about how cheerleading creates a billion injuries more than any other sport EVERY year, and I have never seen where these articles measure this information. Further, there is no division between all-star and school/rec cheer, and there's definitely no acknowledgment of the training that us coaches go through even though none of it is actually REQUIRED to coach.

JulieP said:
This article is really ridiculous. While I agree that being a "national" champion isn't really that big a deal anymore because of the number of "national champions" out there, I think the scathing description of cheer and our industry is a bit overblown. To say that none of us are properly trained is really not fair. I shouldn't waste my breath because it's really just another article about how cheerleading creates a billion injuries more than any other sport EVERY year, and I have never seen where these articles measure this information. Further, there is no division between all-star and school/rec cheer, and there's definitely no acknowledgment of the training that us coaches go through even though none of it is actually REQUIRED to coach.

Amen!
There are a lot of good points in this thread but ultimately the naysayers are just afraid of change. I rember the naysayers of worlds. I LOVE the idea and am excited that someone (idc if it's jamfest or Yo Mama cheer productions) is working on something unique and different. The best thing about all-star cheer? The evolution is never complete.
*cea included ; )

...I know several people who skipped out on our college graduation to spend a week in Greece for a travel course (coursework for the year revolves around a topic and culminates in a trip to a foreign country that is related to the topic. So classical theater, and Greece). For some people, a foreign trip to a country they might never get the chance to go to again is a defining moment. I'd NEVER take back my semester in Ireland and I'd gladly miss my HS AND college graduation 20x over to do it again..

. I'd NEVER take back my semester in Ireland and I'd gladly miss my HS AND college graduation 20x over to do it again..
I'm the same. I'd never take back my year in North Carolina and I can't speak for my college graduation since it hasn't happened yet but I'd happily go back and skip my hs graduation to go back to North Carolina, even if it was just for a few days.

I posted the article in response to National Competitions being considered "word play". The "parent" blogger of this article (from what I gather from her editorial) writes that she wants to see a true legitimate path to a National Championship (state, regional, national to a world championship). In short, she does not agree with "wordplay" nor with the current standards in place for sport recognition. In her opinion, it does not make sense to anything but the $. As a parent she has every right to comment on safety standards/regulation (although not applicable to this thread). I think everyone knows that the majority of Allstar coaches are properly trained and teach progression. The highly skilled teams across the country are a testimony to that success. I, for one did not realize, that there is no requirements to coach (as stated in your post). No required background checks at least? Finally, I am thrilled that JamBrands is creating a prestigious event which has the potential to grow the sport.

coachrah said:
I posted the article in response to National Competitions being considered "word play". The "parent" blogger of this article (from what I gather from her editorial) writes that she wants to see a true legitimate path to a National Championship (state, regional, national to a world championship). In short, she does not agree with "wordplay" nor with the current standards in place for sport recognition. In her opinion, it does not make sense to anything but the $. As a parent she has every right to comment on safety standards/regulation (although not applicable to this thread). I think everyone knows that the majority of Allstar coaches are properly trained and teach progression. The highly skilled teams across the country are a testimony to that success. I, for one did not realize, that there is no requirements to coach (as stated in your post). No required background checks at least? Finally, I am thrilled that JamBrands is creating a prestigious event which has the potential to grow the sport.

Background checks are not required. The gym I work for requires them but not the two I worked at before. Those gyms did not send me to trainings and conferences either. It truly depends on the program--which is awful bc it SHOULD be a standard requirement.

As a parent she has every right to comment on safety standards/regulation

Not trying to stir the pot, but as a coach, I have every right to defend myself and our sport- especially from articles like these that allow people that know very little about our sport to sling mud like this. From what I gathered, and I read her article twice- she made some great points but I think she made a mockery of us coaches, our industry, and our goals. Not to mention that I am pretty sure, based on her tone and judgments, that she would have been a "Susie's Mom" within about 1 month of joining a gym- good riddance lady.

As a parent she has every right to comment on safety standards/regulation (although not applicable to this thread).

She is free to state her opinion whether she is a parent or not. We are free, in turn, to respond.

While I think I understand her overall point, I wish that she could make it without so many factual errors. Seeing gross exaggerations, untruths, and flat-out mistakes make it difficult to take her seriously. (Did she really claim that Varsity's sales were growing 100% every single day or that the average cheerleader spends over $10,000 a year?) Incorrect statements don't automatically make her wrong on every point, but it is hard to "separate the wheat from the chaff."

She is free to state her opinion whether she is a parent or not. We are free, in turn, to respond.

While I think I understand her overall point, I wish that she could make it without so many factual errors. Seeing gross exaggerations, untruths, and flat-out mistakes make it difficult to take her seriously. (Did she really claim that Varsity's sales were growing 100% every single day or that the average cheerleader spends over $10,000 a year?) Incorrect statements don't automatically make her wrong on every point, but it is hard to "separate the wheat from the chaff."

Not to mention that likening Varsity to the mob or calling the entire sport a ponzi scheme. I am with you- it's hard to separate the legitimate points from the exaggerations.

Back