The Perfect Competition/Event

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just FYI, I went to college with a former level 10 gymnast who had just started judging for USAG at the ripe age of 22. She would earn anywhere from $2000-$3000 PER WEEKEND of judging. From what I've heard, cheer judges make no where near this amount. We cannot expect judges to be steakhouse quality when we are paying them fast food wages.

Level5Mom said:
Just FYI, I went to college with a former level 10 gymnast who had just started judging for USAG at the ripe age of 22. She would earn anywhere from $2000-$3000 PER WEEKEND of judging. From what I've heard, cheer judges make no where near this amount. We cannot expect judges to be steakhouse quality when we are paying them fast food wages.

Amen, Amen and Amen!!! :)

Might I remind you that McDonalds now offers Black Angus burgers? haha

I agree that the judges should be dramatically better trained and dramatically better compensated.

Also, I think that ALL of the results (minus perhaps the comments on the scoresheets) should be made available to everyone to see.

BlueCat said:
I agree that the judges should be dramatically better trained and dramatically better compensated.

Also, I think that ALL of the results (minus perhaps the comments on the scoresheets) should be made available to everyone to see.

LOL Really??? That's the first I've heard you mention it Bluecat..... :lol: :lol: :lol: JK.

I'm with you!! Keep on preaching it and maybe eventually we will get somewhere!!

Can we get more people from the USASF to read the Fierce Board? that may help :)

I am not sure if SuperNationals did this, but at WSF Indy after day 1 we received a zip drive with our routine with commentary so we as coaches could evaluate some of the things that were positive as well as negative. It was a great tool to motivate my athletes. I had made a big change to my pyramid the week of WSF going off the scoresheets a lot of people didn't understand but that zip drive helped prove to my parents that they just need to trust me...LOL.

Also, I agree with McLovin on the fact that a lot of the judges I have seen wouldn't know a good routine if it hit them in the face. What qualifications to you have to have to become a judge besides taking the test?

BlueCat said:

I agree with everything except "perhaps".

And I'll continue to push both issues with you.

Well, I can tell you this. With the Varsity Universal Score sheet, and all those brands using the same one with the same ranges, you'll soon see that there will be alot more qualified and trained judges than in the past. Because, what you're already seeing, is these judges are judging all year long with multiple companies who use the same Varsity sheet and ranges. So, that's going to give the coaches and event produers a much more experienced, trained and knowledgeable judging staff than in the past.

I really need the multiquote button because I'm going to forget some stuff but here goes....

Yes judges judge on the weekend but I am willing to miss those days at my "real job" because I am being compensated financially for my time away, so if we are going to be asked to spend a weekend or two for training, which I'm all for if it can be done well BTW, then I will have to be compensated for that time as well or I can't very well justify missing work or being away from home or whatever

As far as compensation, I have heard of people making as little as $100 for a small event, and people making as much as $700 for a big one... In my own personal experience those numbers are both pretty extreme, AND it's highly likely that someone out there has made less than 100 or more than 700 at some point but just throwing out some numbers

Someone asked what type of qualifications you need other than passing the test, and the answer is none, and there is not test. There are tons of great judges out there but there are also plenty that are less than great because of this...

McLovin you mentioned the USASF needing to take control of this but right now the USASF has no level of involvement with the judges or scoring systems used by the various competition companies and they have nothing to gain by training judges because the companies are free to hire whoever they choose. Now if ALL judges and legality officials were supplied by the USASF then they could also be trained by the USASF but that also brings up the problem of all the various scoring systems that they would need to be trained on, and then they would be getting trained by people who didn't develop the scoring system so who will train the trainers... I'm not saying it shouldn't happen but there is a lot to get ironed out in there I think

There were some other things I wanted to comment on I think but I can't recall them now... I do know that the more I think about it the more I agree with wanting all the scores for every team to be made public

I would have
Cheersport organization WOW factor and score sheet mixed w/
UCF score sheet and UCF's coaches hospitality!!!! The best ever by the way...
and maybe in a theme park setting that doesnt cost an arm and a leg!

what is the WOW factor?? And what is it you prefer about Cheersports score sheet as opposed to others, if you don't mind me asking

That, KB, is why I'm all in favor of a universal scoresheet so they judges only need to be trained on one of them, and yes I am very much in favor of USASF being involved in choosing and certifying the judges for all event producers. If an event wants to be sanctioned by the USASF, then they should be required to hire only USASF certified judges. You don't see any old Sally Jo judging at USAG events. All of these changes would bring much needed credibility to cheerleading.

KB_Legend said:
I really need the multiquote button because I'm going to forget some stuff but here goes....

Yes judges judge on the weekend but I am willing to miss those days at my "real job" because I am being compensated financially for my time away, so if we are going to be asked to spend a weekend or two for training, which I'm all for if it can be done well BTW, then I will have to be compensated for that time as well or I can't very well justify missing work or being away from home or whatever

I totally agree with this. When I am at my day job and I have to go to training, I am compensate for it. Judging shouldn't be any different. And shall I say that in order to get QUALITY judges, they should be compensated VERY well!! :)

As far as compensation, I have heard of people making as little as $100 for a small event, and people making as much as $700 for a big one... In my own personal experience those numbers are both pretty extreme, AND it's highly likely that someone out there has made less than 100 or more than 700 at some point but just throwing out some numbers

This I find UNACCEPTABLE!! You get what you pay for. These event producers make a TON of money on these events.

Someone asked what type of qualifications you need other than passing the test, and the answer is none, and there is not test. There are tons of great judges out there but there are also plenty that are less than great because of this...

Again, NOT cool! NO TEST?? Really?? So Jo Schmoe that has NO cheer background whatsoever can go and get certified just because he paid the money to?? Really?? :x

McLovin you mentioned the USASF needing to take control of this but right now the USASF has no level of involvement with the judges or scoring systems used by the various competition companies and they have nothing to gain by training judges because the companies are free to hire whoever they choose. Now if ALL judges and legality officials were supplied by the USASF then they could also be trained by the USASF but that also brings up the problem of all the various scoring systems that they would need to be trained on, and then they would be getting trained by people who didn't develop the scoring system so who will train the trainers... I'm not saying it shouldn't happen but there is a lot to get ironed out in there I think

My answer to this is THEY SHOULD have involvement!! They SHOULD be the ONE entity that hires, trains, develops scoresheets, etc. I will say this till I'm blue in the face, but until this happens, our sport will continue to be laughable to the rest of the world. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for me to listen to "outsiders" talk about how cheer isn't a sport, and then go and watch how hard my girls train and how much of their lives are consumed by something that 90% of the world still thinks is pretty little girls running around in skimpy skirts and playing with pom pons.

There were some other things I wanted to comment on I think but I can't recall them now... I do know that the more I think about it the more I agree with wanting all the scores for every team to be made public

Back