The Perfect Competition/Event

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This past weekend I tabulated for a local competition because someone didn't show up. I was there for the same amount of time as the judges but I got paid about $100 MORE than the judges. All I did was type the scores into the computer and sit back and watch the routines. I told my friend, who was judging, and he was PISSED.

You get what you pay for. If a competition company really wants their company to go anywhere they'll look at the big picture and not how much they'll make off of every event and try to cut corners in certain areas to make sure they make enough.

KB_Legend said:
what is the WOW factor?? And what is it you prefer about Cheersports score sheet as opposed to others, if you don't mind me asking
In a short sentence it is basic and with the grid they use its hard for someone to munipulate a score sheet, bc they have to give you your grid range, then go from there on what they think so their isnt someone giving you a 9.5 and that jerk judge that doesnt like your gym a 8.3.

Something I found interesting while I was watching figure skating last night...it goes along with my desire to see video replay in cheerleading. The T.V. announcer guy was talking about this one girl's triple axle and how the judges would immediately go to super slow-motion video replay and make sure she landed it all the way around. That if she didn't have 3 complete rotations, she would not get credit for the skill. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! The only way those judges know for sure is to go back and watch. Our sport really really needs this!!

We had replay with slow motion at Cheersport, but it only helped my panel in a few circumstances. What you can see on replay with 20-36 people in the shot is a lot different than what you can see with 2 people in the shot. It helped and is a step in the right direction, but still has limitations.

Just for the record, I was a deduction judge at Cheersport.

NCA arena!!!!! And teams sitting on the sides for finals!!! LOVED THAT! Also scores being announce ASAP!! Cheersports warm up room! And their video replay!! AND free yella ribbons :)

McLovin said:
Kingston said:
I also think no crossovers except levels (only only a few per team in emergency cases) should be standard in all competitions.

Oh yes yes yes!!! I understand crossovers are needed to some degree, but it's gotten out of hand. I don't necessarily agree that it can only be level to level though because some gyms don't have more than 1 team at each level so that's not fair to them. But definitely need to have some sort of limit and standard on this issue.

I used to think this way as well about crossovers. Then I got to thinking about the only other sport/activity that I could think of that has a similar "structure"- competitive dance. That got me thinking that crossovers are ok. WHY?

Dancers (even at worlds) are allowed to compete in more than one routine (hip hop, lyrical, production, etc). They all have set rules and styles that you must adhere to, just like the cheer levels. So Level 2 limits the skills that you can do...doesn't matter that you have a full, still can't throw it in level two, so you are on a somewhat level playing field (except for technique and even with those kids with higher level tumbling it isn't always with good technique).

Soccer (in our area) also allows kids to play on 1 competitive team only BUT they can be on as many recreational competitive teams as they want (and some of those rec teams travel just as much as the competitive teams).

So I guess what I am saying, is if the parents want to shell out the money, and the kids want to put the time in, who cares if they are doing multiple teams. Just keeps them out of trouble and hopefully not getting pregnant!

ACEDAD said:
scflips said:
I agree that the tumbling should be counted but not towards the numbers towards the percentage. Ex. if you have 20 members and you need 15 to throw a tuck to get in the max range then 15 DIFFERENT kids need to throw the skill not 14 and 1 kid twice. If you want the kid to throw something again towards your Overall score, then count it.

And how do you propose that the judges count the 15 different kids? Do they all have to throw the skill at exactly the same time?

The only way to achieve this in my opinion is have what most sports have done away with and have compulsory routines. I think it doesn't have to be boring level 4 gymnastics style with the EXACT same routine and music but have a list of skills. Each team would compete 2 routines - 1 compulsory routine and 1 independent routine. The independent routine would be what we are used to seeing right now - do what you want as long as it is legal for the level.

The compulsory routine would NOT require them to use the exact same music or skills in the same order, but would require demonstration of skills for that level (that way each gym could show their own style). For example at Level 2 the compulsory routine might require:
1. Synchronized Standing BHS
(all athletes not throwing that skills must be lined up on side of floor in single file line )
2. Synchronized Roundoff BHS
(all athletes not throwing that skills must be lined up on side of floor in single file line)
3. 2 8-count motions sequence
4. Jump sequence - single toe, double toe, pike, and jump 1 additional jump of choice
(in any order but all in the same section of the routine)
5. Group Stunt(s)- extension with a cradle, prep level lib, & straight ride basket toss
(up to gym if they use 3/4/5 athletes in each stunt & 4/5 in basket toss)

The idea would be that the compulsory routine would be made up of the absolute minimum skills allowed at that level (those basic skills that separate the level from the level below it).I am thinking what should be stressed in technique of the basic skills - I don't think doing a dance section or pyramid section would be necessary. I am thinking that it wouldn't even need to be a 2 1/5 min routine. Maybe 2 min max. The compulsory routine would be worth 50% of total score and the independent routine would also be worth 50% of total score.

Score would then be based off percentages (like the jambrands rubric) completing the skills. It would reward a team that has 20 kids and puts up 5 baskets vs the team with 20 that puts up 4 baskets or that puts up 6 prep level libs VS 4or5 prep level libs with 20 kids(for example). Same would hold true for tumbling since all kids peforming those skills would have to do it all at the same time. EACH skills set would only be allowed to be presented 1 time in each compulsory routine.

I know this is flawed and not perfect but at 5am this is the best I can do!

jambrands scoring
prelims/finals(this shouldn't just be a worlds thing)
cheersport's "VOD"
love the big arena like NCA, but from what i hear of cheersport they are more efficient with getting teams on and off

when you get down to it, yeah its great to go to the big comps in big arenas with all those big name teams. but what really needs fixed is scoring. i would love love love to see a standardized scoresheet and judges that know how to handle it. i feel like alot of teams spend a good portion of the season tweeking their routines to meet each company's criteria and so they never really have a chance to improve the routine.

as much as i don't want to see this sport have the whole compulsory routine aspect, i do think it will help alot with scoring and giving this sport credibility. it shows the judges where a team truly is skill wise, and then their own routine would further support it.

Back