All-Star The Summit 2017 Video Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We're aware of you initial post. But you still haven't answered any of the questions posed to you. What if the gym is small and doesn't have enough athlete's to field a 4.2? What if they only have 1 senior level 2 team? Should my athlete (a higher level blocking, multi-year high level put out to pasture athlete) be told she can no longer cheer because they need to make room for Little Suzie when there is another age and level appropriate team for little suzie but my cp has aged out of that division? (i.e. there is a junior 2 team, little suzie is 13 and just got her bhs, my cp is 17) Where should they put the "HLB, MYHL, POTP" athlete in this case? Should they put her on the level they know she can't perform at? Possibly causing no only more harm to the athlete who is blocking but holding back the rest of the team? Mind you, there are probably .1% of athletes in any given gym that are going through or have gone through what my cp has. You make it seem as though it's half the gym/team?

I did answer your questions, you didn't like my answers. My post was about pointing out a what I feel is a huge loophole. I stated at the beginning 4.2 should be used in these instances and could stop this issue. But, I'll answer again.

1) What if the gym is small and doesn't have enough athletes to field a 4.2? The same thing that happens when they can't field a level 2 or 3, they don't have one.

2) What if they only have a Sr. level 1 or 2 team? Higher level athletes would not be able to cheer there.

3) Should my athlete (a higher level blocking, multi-year high level put out to pasture athlete) be told she can no longer cheer because they need to make room for Little Suzie when there is another age and level appropriate team for little suzie but my cp has aged out of that division? (i.e. there is a junior 2 team, little suzie is 13 and just got her bhs, my cp is 17) Where should they put the "HLB, MYHL, POTP" athlete in this case? In this scenario there are no Suzie's, just kids. Level 1 and 2 deserve a level playing field just as much as higher athletes. My solution, again, is placing blocking high level, long term athletes on a 4.2, and not allowing high performing athletes on a levels 1 and 2 where most of them began. If a once level R5 athlete is being told they are now only worthy of level 2 because they are blocking, that is being put out to pasture, just my opinion.

4) Should they put her on the level they know she can't perform at? Of course, not. But, I would hope if they put her on a level 3, 4, and R5, she was able to perform at those levels at the time. A 4.2 would still allow her to cheer any position needed to fit her previous stunting, jumping, and performing skills.

5) .....Possibly causing not only more harm to the athlete who is blocking but holding back the rest of the team? Again, 4.2 would allow her to tumble level 2, so it wouldn't harm her. You said your child is a 13 year veteran, I have to assume she based, backed, front or flew on level 4 or R5 she would still be able to do so on level 4.2.

6) Mind you, there are probably .1% of athletes in any given gym that are going through or have gone through what my cp has. You make it seem as though it's half the gym/team? This issue is not limited to what happened to your daughter. This loophole allows coaches to recruit retired high level athletes at any time and put them on lower level teams where spots are available. It allows coaches to put any level blocking athlete on level 1 and 2, and blocking athletes aren't rare. I sympathize just as much with athletes and parents that have the rare circumstances as the next guy, but I do feel a sport should make all levels as fair as possible.

I did answer your questions, you didn't like my answers. My post was about pointing out a what I feel is a huge loophole. I stated at the beginning 4.2 should be used in these instances and could stop this issue. But, I'll answer again.

1) What if the gym is small and doesn't have enough athletes to field a 4.2? The same thing that happens when they can't field a level 2 or 3, they don't have one.

2) What if they only have a Sr. level 1 or 2 team? Higher level athletes would not be able to cheer there.

3) Should my athlete (a higher level blocking, multi-year high level put out to pasture athlete) be told she can no longer cheer because they need to make room for Little Suzie when there is another age and level appropriate team for little suzie but my cp has aged out of that division? (i.e. there is a junior 2 team, little suzie is 13 and just got her bhs, my cp is 17) Where should they put the "HLB, MYHL, POTP" athlete in this case? In this scenario there are no Suzie's, just kids. Level 1 and 2 deserve a level playing field just as much as higher athletes. My solution, again, is placing blocking high level, long term athletes on a 4.2, and not allowing high performing athletes on a levels 1 and 2 where most of them began. If a once level R5 athlete is being told they are now only worthy of level 2 because they are blocking, that is being put out to pasture, just my opinion.

4) Should they put her on the level they know she can't perform at? Of course, not. But, I would hope if they put her on a level 3, 4, and R5, she was able to perform at those levels at the time. A 4.2 would still allow her to cheer any position needed to fit her previous stunting, jumping, and performing skills.

5) .....Possibly causing not only more harm to the athlete who is blocking but holding back the rest of the team? Again, 4.2 would allow her to tumble level 2, so it wouldn't harm her. You said your child is a 13 year veteran, I have to assume she based, backed, front or flew on level 4 or R5 she would still be able to do so on level 4.2.

6) Mind you, there are probably .1% of athletes in any given gym that are going through or have gone through what my cp has. You make it seem as though it's half the gym/team? This issue is not limited to what happened to your daughter. This loophole allows coaches to recruit retired high level athletes at any time and put them on lower level teams where spots are available. It allows coaches to put any level blocking athlete on level 1 and 2, and blocking athletes aren't rare. I sympathize just as much with athletes and parents that have the rare circumstances as the next guy, but I do feel a sport should make all levels as fair as possible.
So what I get from this is that your solution for this particular athlete is that she should be told that she can no longer cheer (at least for the season) as her gym did not have a 4.2. That's WAY more messed up than her being on a level 2. As you said that higher level athletes would not be able to cheer if they did not have a level appropriate team at that gym. If I'm understanding that right then I can't even....

Oh my goodness.

This is a video thread, and I think we've wandered off base, even if I take partial credit for taking the conversation elsewhere.

Things are beginning to go over the line when someone says 'bad luck kid, they've got no 4.2, and you were once level 5, so you gotta quit otherwise that's selfish'.

I do want to apologize to @FamUsM0m, my comment of pointing out what I felt was a loophole was never intended to be a personal attack on you or your child, we don't place our kids on teams and gyms place within the rules. I own up to my "dislikes" since it appeared to many that was my intent.

So what I get from this is that your solution for this particular athlete is that she should be told that she can no longer cheer (at least for the season) as her gym did not have a 4.2. That's WAY more messed up than her being on a level 2. As you said that higher level athletes would not be able to cheer if they did not have a level appropriate team at that gym. If I'm understanding that right then I can't even....

I can accept this, as long as it applies to the beginner Sr. level 1 or 2 athletes trying out at a gym that only fields a Sr. 3 or above.

My apologies for taking this thread off course.

One, it doesn't sound harsh, it sounds unrealistic, and you don't have to apologize, again you did not place your 13 year once level R5 athlete on a level 2 team. Two, no one is going to fault any child that has worked their butts off to improve themselves. Three, the same level 5 teams that were successful six years ago, are still successful today, so "progression and innovation" has not made any major changes in that level.

We all know this conversation isn't about "progression and innovation." This is about gyms having to make the decision to cut out true beginner athletes to stay competitive because of loopholes that don't prevent gyms from putting much more experienced level athletes on lower level teams right out of the gate. A level 1 or 2 athlete should never have to make room for, or compete against, blocking (or never blocked in their life) higher level multi year athletes. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I won't apologize for wanting kids to have fair competition.

Ironically Summit is the reason for this change. Back in my day (omg Im old) everyones goal was to make level 5 and go to worlds. That was it, that was your one goal.
The first year of summit was my first year aged out of regular divisions, and the change was almost immediate. It used to be you said "I'm on level 3/2" with almost shame, because everyones goal was to be level 5. Now, kids work their butt off for crazy elite skills at their level, because their goal is to be a successful team, not just to go to level 5. I don't hear kids talk about their level with shame anymore, because if level 3 is the one most likely to win summit/make finals that's the team you want to be on.

For 99% of cheerleaders winning worlds isn't a goal, it's just not possible. But it is possible to win Summit or D2 Summit.

I'm not taking a side here, but pretty much any rule you want to have to address the sandbagging or crossover issues will affect someone, somewhere negatively. Like the example above, there are individuals or stories that would be negatively affected by a strict no-crossover or no-going-back-levels type of rule. There are legitimate injury cases where someone needs to be a short-term cross over and there are times when a higher level team is no longer a good fit for an athlete. There are also gyms in situations where they can't serve all of their customers without some flexibility in roster-making. However, leaving those doors wide open allows many others to "abuse" (admittedly, that is in the eye of the beholder) those things to the detriment of other teams and other athletes.

The question should be about what is better for the industry or what rules benefit the most number of kids over the long run - not whether we can conceive or find a specific example where a change would be negative to an individual or gym.

Thank you @BlueCat. You're right, my passion on this issue was my kids individual circumstance went head to head with the blocking athlete and I can't look at it with blinders on. My kids are no longer Sr. level 1, but every year I go to cheer on the athletes with the barely there back walkovers. Those days and athletes are pretty much gone. Level 1 is truly almost perfection, as well as level 2.

I am truly just grateful AS gave my kids a place to begin when other sports were requiring them to be proficient at age 14. I'm torn in the sense that I do believe having full level skills reduces blocks and injuries especially at the level these kids have to compete now, but I'd lie if I said my heart isn't breaking for the beginner, no experience kids it seems it is closing the doors on. Again, @FamUsM0m I'm sorry, my frustration was never about you or your child. The reality is, either way, it appears someone's child is going to get left out.

ETA: @AndyT_T I agree, that's when I noticed the change, as well.

Last edited:

This is my daughters j4 at their last fullout in the gym as it was a Summit show off.

They hit 0 both days at summit and took 2nd in finals. But my Summit videos are way to shaky and almost impossible to see anything. I posted this on Facebook and a lot of people liked it so figured I'd share here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who the hell is the head coach for SCV allstars?
Literally every one of their teams at summit made top 3 and they won in 3 divisions (Including SRC5 who was the gyms first ever level 5)..... Like, what are they feeding them??
They brought home 3 bronze medals (one of whom was in 1st after semis), 1 silver medal, and 3 golds......... Like I just want to shadow the coaching staff for a season and find out their secrets.

Last edited:
Literally every one of their teams at summit made top 3 and they won in 3 divisions (Including SRC5 who was the gyms first ever level 5)..... Like, what are they feeding them??
They brought home 3 bronze medals (one of whom was in 1st after semis), 1 silver medal, and 3 golds......... Like I just want to shadow the coaching staff for a season and find out their secrets.

We love SCV idk who the head coach is but the choreographer is Ray Jasper and the action spirit staff. Same as us!! Incredible program year in and year out! This isn't their first time killing it at the summit either. Literally every season they are a force to be reckon with that's for sure.

They seem to do a better job at holding on to first at summit. Every year we have a bunch of firsts on day 1 but don't hold on to them in day 2 even though we hit. Last year we had 4 in first out of semi's .. all 4 dropped out of first and one of our 5th place teams went to first. This year we had 3 in first out of semis and only one of them stayed there. We have to figure out the Summit secret of staying there like they do.

This is my daughters j4 at their last fullout in the gym as it was a Summit show off.

They hit 0 both days at summit and took 2nd in finals. But my Summit videos are way to shaky and almost impossible to see anything. I posted this on Facebook and a lot of people liked it so figured I'd share here.

What team is this? I feel like I saw a video of them from summit but can't remember the name haha, but they were so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love SCV idk who the head coach is but the choreographer is Ray Jasper and the action spirit staff. Same as us!! Incredible program year in and year out! This isn't their first time killing it at the summit either. Literally every season they are a force to be reckon with that's for sure.

They seem to do a better job at holding on to first at summit. Every year we have a bunch of firsts on day 1 but don't hold on to them in day 2 even though we hit. Last year we had 4 in first out of semi's .. all 4 dropped out of first and one of our 5th place teams went to first. This year we had 3 in first out of semis and only one of them stayed there. We have to figure out the Summit secret of staying there like they do.

I mean, bringing home a summit title every year is an impressive feat in and of itself! Queen Cobras won didn't they? And they've looked amazing all season!

On top of all that, their small senior 3 won what I believe was their 4th gold in the division all back to back to back to back lol.

Back