All-Star The Summit-bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 21, 2010
Just wondering if anyone feels that if this is suppose to be like "worlds" shouldnt the bids be more accessible? My understanding is a team cannot go to the summit with out a at large, partial or paid bid. The problem is so FEW events are giving away these bids, in the NE area Providence rhode Island gave a handfull and there is one more shot for one, why are so few bids being given, teams are chasing bids for a chance , I feel winning the lottery gives a better chance. I dont know where are the bids are, but the NE area, its just not there. (from what I can see) :(

There's a list of all the comps that give out bids on the varsity site. Have you looked at that?
yes, however there were less than 3-4 in the N.east area with out having to travel more than 7-8 hrs. and even the events that are offering are only giving out 2-3 paid and a handful or at large, where are world bids are given out at alot more events. I just think varsity made it nearly impossible to get to the summit.

Just wondering if anyone feels that if this is suppose to be like "worlds" shouldnt the bids be more accessible? My understanding is a team cannot go to the summit with out a at large, partial or paid bid. The problem is so FEW events are giving away these bids, in the NE area Providence rhode Island gave a handfull and there is one more shot for one, why are so few bids being given, teams are chasing bids for a chance , I feel winning the lottery gives a better chance. I dont know where are the bids are, but the NE area, its just not there. (from what I can see) :(

All Varsity worlds events and then an extra handful of events are giving out summit bids. It shouldn't be more accessible, that makes it less special. Anyone and their mom can get a bid to US Finals, this is supposed to be more prestigious, especially considering there's only one competition. Just like not everyone can get a bid to worlds (relatively speaking), not everyone can get a bid to the Summit.

There are 357 bids (give or take a few) to Worlds and there are 462 bids to the summit - yes, that means a smaller percentage of non-worlds teams will be able to go, but WWoS is only so big.

Even though there are 100 more bids for the summit than worlds. In the summit there is MANY more age groups and more levels (5 if you count restricted.) than Worlds. So you definately have to be on your game at a comp to qualify!!

It's the nature of the beast... My gym had to travel to a competition that was a 14 hour drive away (so clearly we flew) with the teams we wanted to qualify for the Summit... that was the closest one for us. We got our bids, and really excited to go :) Good luck to you!

Living in the Northeast I agree. It's tough to travel for the possibility of getting a bid then travel again to attend the event. I like the they're trying to make it more exclusive but teams at those levels often appreciate less travel.

I appreciate that they aren't handing out bids like candy, however, I'd be concerned as a bid earner that I would have little to no competition. You could easily win your division at a large nationals and not get a bid...I wonder how they're ensuing there will be several teams in each division at the event.

it IS very prestigious...my small senior 3 "FRENZY" at Cheerforce just attended palm springs for Spirit Sports and out of OVER 50 teams competing in the level 3 division (small coeds large coeds all girls and all ages: youth, jr, senior) we were blessed with 2 strong back to back performances and won the 1 FULL PAID bid they were giving to all those teams. It feel likes worlds to the kids and it was a beautiful thing to witness. I like this whole "Summit" comp! Makes our lower levels strive to be stronger!

I think the bids were distributed proportionatly for the size of the comp which is the best way to do it other wise you'd end up with small comps handing out bids left and right to teams that don't necessarily have the skill set that would win them a bid at the larger comps like NCA or CheerSport would.

Up here in the NW there are only two comp's this season giving out bids and each on only has 7-9 that are being handed out with only 1 or two being any type of money.

I think the bids were distributed proportionatly for the size of the comp which is the best way to do it other wise you'd end up with small comps handing out bids left and right to teams that don't necessarily have the skill set that would win them a bid at the larger comps like NCA or CheerSport would.

Up here in the NW there are only two comp's this season giving out bids and each on only has 7-9 that are being handed out with only 1 or two being any type of money.

very true, there are only a few here on the west coast, and they do give a generous amount of at large bids but literally 1 paid for the highest score of each level.

I also like that it is more of a fight to get to the comp. Several at our gym have expressed interest in going to the US Finals but to me there was nothing any more special about it than any other national we do. Our gym started this year knowing we were attending 2 comps that were giving Summit bids and were told if we get a paid we will go and if not we wont. It lets the girls know if they get it they have accomplished something rather than just paying an entry fee and doing another national that they could have done regardless of how the rest of their season went.

Well and if I have followed this correctly this is a Varsity event and bids are only available at Varsity-affiliated competitions. So ... from Varsity's viewpoint, more NE competitions should affiliate with Varsity so they can give the NE gyms the opportunity to get bids.

It's all a for-profit business ... not non-for-profit like the Olympics.

It's definitely very difficult to get bids. My gym only accepts paid bids, worlds or summit. We've been to 2 summit bid competitions with only one more chance left, and we have not gotten a bid even though we've done well. My gym has about 18 teams, with 3 being worlds teams, and only one of our teams has a bid to the summit. I think it's turning out to be more prestigious than we originally thought

Back