All-Star Themed Practices & Team Bonding Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My team started practice the first week of September and now people are starting to slack off. On Monday 12 of 30 and we couldn't really work on anything. My coach decided we would play tag and do relay races and learn a new dance, then she gave us all candy at the end. This is a university team so everyone is 18+ it was so fun! A lot of us were feeling down about not being able to do anything, but she cheered us up :)

My team started practice the first week of September and now people are starting to slack off. On Monday 12 of 30 and we couldn't really work on anything. My coach decided we would play tag and do relay races and learn a new dance, then she gave us all candy at the end. This is a university team so everyone is 18+ it was so fun! A lot of us were feeling down about not being able to do anything, but she cheered us up :)
We used to do stuff like this at nationals practices in college. We played a lot of sardines.

My CP's team 3 years in a row did a Holiday bonding party. Both years the gifts were socks, because all of the kids love the crazy socks. The first year and last year were secret Santa types where each girl drew a name from a bucket. That worked out really well because they were able to customize the socks they bought to fit the other girl's interests. The second year, we did a white elephant which resulted in lots of tears. I don't think the youth/mini age kids should do a white elephant because someone is going to swipe the socks they got and tears ensue because they really liked those socks.

Another bonding idea is bowling. Depending on how many stunt groups you have, you could assign 1 group per lane and make it a contest between stunt groups.

They just had color day Monday. Each elite stunt group chose a color and wore that color shirt with black shorts.

My CP's teams have done:
Crazy hair day
Pink in October
crazy sock day
super hero
twins/triplets day
Holiday themed (Halloween in OCtober, Thanksgiving/fall for November, Christmas, valentine's St. Patty's Day, etc.)
Tie Dye
sports teams

My CP's team 3 years in a row did a Holiday bonding party. Both years the gifts were socks, because all of the kids love the crazy socks. The first year and last year were secret Santa types where each girl drew a name from a bucket. That worked out really well because they were able to customize the socks they bought to fit the other girl's interests. The second year, we did a white elephant which resulted in lots of tears. I don't think the youth/mini age kids should do a white elephant because someone is going to swipe the socks they got and tears ensue because they really liked those socks.

Another bonding idea is bowling. Depending on how many stunt groups you have, you could assign 1 group per lane and make it a contest between stunt groups.

They just had color day Monday. Each elite stunt group chose a color and wore that color shirt with black shorts.

My CP's teams have done:
Crazy hair day
Pink in October
crazy sock day
super hero
twins/triplets day
Holiday themed (Halloween in OCtober, Thanksgiving/fall for November, Christmas, valentine's St. Patty's Day, etc.)
Tie Dye
sports teams
What is a white elephant?

events: theme park night, sleepover, big team dinner

our team is going to a haunted halloween night at a theme park and it'll be great to bond with everyone while being spooked haha

I remember one practice a few years back we all sat in a circle and we each had a piece of paper and a pen and the piece of paper had our names on it and we would pass the papers around and write something nice about that person. And sometimes we would just hang out as a team at practice instead of doing routines and that was a lot of fun

Kinda similar to this we have had our teams take a piece of paper and write down why they do all stars. What is their personal reason for joining all stars...they are discouraged from writing "it's fun" on the paper and other comments like that. The girls then give us their papers, and we fold them up, mix them up and repass them out making sure no one has gotten their reason back. Each team member then reads the paper out loud, and they all discuss the reasons without giving up who wrote what reason. The girls then place the piece of paper in their shoe, and leave it there for the whole season. We explain to the team that when you are on a team, you are not only performing or practicing for yourself, but for your teammates. So by putting the piece of paper in your shoe you are symbolically taking on your teammates reason for cheering so it's not just about you anymore.

We don't do it every year or with every team, but we do it with teams that need a little extra boost for the season, either they need some help with motivation or coming together as a team, or just a reason to push for the season. We have from time to time asked the girls to pull their reasons out to remind themselves why they are in practice.

What is a white elephant?
(Not who you asked, sorry) but, it's the gift exchange game where each person gets a number and the first person picks a gift from the pile and then each person after that (so number 2, then 3 and so on) can either steal an opened gift or pick a new one. I agree, that could be bad with the younger kiddos.
I've also heard it called a Chinese gift exchange.

(Not who you asked, sorry) but, it's the gift exchange game where each person gets a number and the first person picks a gift from the pile and then each person after that (so number 2, then 3 and so on) can either steal an opened gift or pick a new one. I agree, that could be bad with the younger kiddos.
I've also heard it called a Chinese gift exchange.
Oh. Got it. Thank you

I'm offended by the Yankee swap and Chinese gift exchange names.

Like who comes up with this?

(I'm being sarcastic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard this called white elephant. What white elephant means to me is a gift exchange where everyone brings something that they already own to give - the stranger/funnier the better.

I've never heard this called white elephant. What white elephant means to me is a gift exchange where everyone brings something that they already own to give - the stranger/funnier the better.
That's part of it. It's random stuff and then you do the numbers and trading. We do it in yearbook every year, my sophomore year I ended up with a little Lysol to go spray :(

Back