This Is A Good Thing

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Mer_bear20, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    It is so nice visiting a cheer related site that does not have the crazy and uncalled for cheer drama that you see on Instagram and Twitter, and at one point tumblr. Seriously it’s so nice being able to talk about cheer and seeing everyone being supportive of each other. I would also like to add that bullying definitely seems to not be an issue here. But I guess when you give teenagers the power to be a anon and hide behind a computer bullying shall be a given.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  2. BlueCat

BlueCat Roses are red, cats are blue National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    jodymelton
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Verified Member:
    Jody Melton
    Owner of Cheer Athletics
    It isn't always perfect, but it generally a far better than twitter/insta/etc for "curated" information. The rest is like a giant noisy firehose to me at times. Way too much "noise" and not enough "signal".

3. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This. This is my go-to site for just the facts (that and CheerUpdates.) Ex: I don't care if Whatsherface McWhoever is center basket. I just need to know how they placed at NCA and see the video.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yeah it’s generally a positive place where you can get no-nonsense answers about cheer from people who know what they’re talking about (“Is this legal?” “Is this normal?” “How do I fundraise more effectively?” etc.). You can’t get that stuff from Twitter accounts that post mostly stuff about “OMG one of your faves is leaving because of drama!!!11!!!” and that’s literally it. Your average Twitter anon would be very bored here lol.

I think what sets this place apart from other social media outlets is that it’s mainly composed of parents and coaches who understand that we’re talking about children here, and to treat them accordingly... a fact that lots of anons disregard or even exploit. The difference is really night and day.

But bad news kiddo: the power of internet anonymity can prove toxic to anyone, teens and adults like. Don’t expect it to go anywhere while the internet is still a thing. Mostly you just have to ignore it and realize it’s not worth engaging in. Which can be tricky, yes, but there are no winners in an internet slap fight. It’s tacky and embarrassing, and nothing is accomplished. Because think of it this way: you’re not going to convince trolls that trolling is a pathetic waste of time any more than they’re going to convince you that they’re right to bully children. No troll in history has ever said: “Hey, you’re right. I need to reconsider my life decisions. Thank you for your insight.” And no person attempting to correct the troll has ever said, “Yeah this guy has the right idea. I need to spend more time calling nine-year-olds fat.” You can either handle the responsibility of anonymity or you can’t. Those who can’t best be left unacknowledged.