All-Star Thoughts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
About showcase vids. I’m personally waiting to see WCSS because I feel they got cheated last year (I can remember every inch of that circus routine... I can only remember one stunt from Panthers). However, I will reluctantly admit that Panthers look pretty good.

GSW’s back walkover into a double up literally makes me drool. Have spent too much time trying to figure out a way to make it HS legal/worthwhile. Can’t. Will sit back and watch it play on repeat instead.

Midnight did some kind of fancy ball-up that moves too fast for my brain to follow. Cute.

Smoed’s race car theme is entertaining, but it took me too long to realise what they were doing with those flags. Maybe when they get their music finished it’ll be clearer.

Your turn.

Last edited:
I die inside every time I see/hear "xyz team was cheated." Or if I hear my own kiddo say it about losing a game or match.

With Worlds, it's anyone's game any given Sunday/Monday if you execute. I don't recall a whole lot other than that the top 3 were very close and it came down to execution.

Looking forward to another great year.

I have not watched a ton of videos but I can appreciate how teams are starting off the season with focus on little things like landings and technique in tumbling.

I die inside every time I see/hear "xyz team was cheated." Or if I hear my own kiddo say it about losing a game or match.

With Worlds, it's anyone's game any given Sunday/Monday if you execute. I don't recall a whole lot other than that the top 3 were very close and it came down to execution.

Looking forward to another great year.

I have not watched a ton of videos but I can appreciate how teams are starting off the season with focus on little things like landings and technique in tumbling.

I can appreciate the difficulty of Panthers routine from last year and the argument that their stunts pushed them into first. I just rewatched the Stars’ routine and can admit that while their tumbling was superior, their stunts were mainly lots of low/high ticks. I guess I just found the WCSS routine more memorable I thought they should’ve been rewarded for that.

Plus — and maybe this is just me being masochistic — I find it hard to root for CA. They’re SO GOOD at everything that it’s amost become redundant to support them. They’re like the Dallas Cowboys of cheer (or some other sports analogy that makes sense).

About showcase vids. I’m personally waiting to see WCSS because I feel they got cheated last year (I can remember every inch of that circus routine... I can only remember one stunt from Panthers). However, I will reluctantly admit that Panthers look pretty good.

GSW’s back walkover into a double up literally makes me drool. Have spent too much time trying to figure out a way to make it HS legal/worthwhile. Can’t. Will sit back and watch it play on repeat instead.

Midnight did some kind of fancy ball-up that moves too fast for my brain to follow. Cute.

Smoed’s race car theme is entertaining, but it took me too long to realise what they were doing with those flags. Maybe when they get their music finished it’ll be clearer.

Your turn.
Just because panthers wasn’t memorable to you doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have won. And when has memorable been on the score sheet. Not rooting for a team to win or be happy for them because said gym/team is good and wins “all the time” is a bit ridiculous

Back when I was actively coaching, I would always ask the (older) kids - "would you rather be the team that people on social media thought should have won - or the team that actually won?" It was always unanimous.

We certainly try to be entertaining to the crowd, but that isn't our main goal.

I'd rather be on the team that does both? :)

I've been reexamining my biases and I think what it comes down to is this: I love a good theme routine. For me, it displays a whole other level of thoughtfulness that goes into a routine's creation. In my experience when a good theme routine is unveiled, it's the result of a coach pouring that many more hours into finding music/lyrics/props that work on more than one level (CA did do a great job with the "BABS" theme this year... "bab-tism," "bab-ylon" is cute). That's why I hold the WCSS routine in such high regard. Their music was so much more than "FASTMUSICALLTHETIME" that seems to be en vogue in AS these days. It really set them apart from everyone else.

All that being said, I know that "cute theme/music" is not exactly the most points-heavy section on the score sheet.

But I'll cling to my outdated biases no matter how many people yell at me. Just like my sister and her scrunchies.

I'd rather be on the team that does both? :)

I've been reexamining my biases and I think what it comes down to is this: I love a good theme routine. For me, it displays a whole other level of thoughtfulness that goes into a routine's creation. In my experience when a good theme routine is unveiled, it's the result of a coach pouring that many more hours into finding music/lyrics/props that work on more than one level (CA did do a great job with the "BABS" theme this year... "bab-tism," "bab-ylon" is cute). That's why I hold the WCSS routine in such high regard. Their music was so much more than "FASTMUSICALLTHETIME" that seems to be en vogue in AS these days. It really set them apart from everyone else.

All that being said, I know that "cute theme/music" is not exactly the most points-heavy section on the score sheet.

But I'll cling to my outdated biases no matter how many people yell at me. Just like my sister and her scrunchies.
I wouldn't really call "Babs" a theme when it's been in their music (and just part of the team) for years.

I wouldn't really call "Babs" a theme when it's been in their music (and just part of the team) for years.

Yeah but like I mentioned, by incorporating their acronym into other words, it now works on two levels and makes the whole song more thoughtful. It's easy to just keep yelling BABS in the music. It takes work to think, "What are some religious-y terms we could work 'BABS' into?" That's where the work comes in. That's why I appreciate a theme.

Yeah but like I mentioned, by incorporating their acronym into other words, it now works on two levels and makes the whole song more thoughtful. It's easy to just keep yelling BABS in the music. It takes work to think, "What are some religious-y terms we could work 'BABS' into?" That's where the work comes in. That's why I appreciate a theme.
That's what I meant. They've had "bab-tized" and "bab-ylon" before.

That's what I meant. They've had "bab-tized" and "bab-ylon" before.

Did they? I can't remember hearing it before. I remember Babylon from a few years ago but "babtism" is new to me. Which doesn't mean they haven't done it, it just means I haven't heard it or I forgot it. I just remember hearing it for the first time this year and thinking it was cute. Either way, good for them.

Did they? I can't remember hearing it before. I remember Babylon from a few years ago but "babtism" is new to me. Which doesn't mean they haven't done it, it just means I haven't heard it or I forgot it. I just remember hearing it for the first time this year and thinking it was cute. Either way, good for them.

Back