Tinies- Better To Start Early?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

IMO the most important thing is the quality of instruction. I don't think 4 is too young, as long as they are being taught proper technique and move through the levels appropriately. The first gym we were at did not teach proper technique for tumbling or stunting and my kids have struggled to re-learn skills, and some tumbling skills aren't even possible for them to do (i.e. Arabian) without relearning their roundoff.
SAME situation with my CP

I think you have to look at their maturity level and that will be the best indicator of whether they should do a team or not. For example, if your child can follow instructions, listen, concentrate without mummy, and not pee on the mat then maybe you should give it a go if the team is good.

Yes, while I agree with you on back safety in children under 5, I was mainly stating that in tiny divisions, especially ones in my area, if a child was to make a tiny team, a bwo/fwo are the main skills required.

I think you have to look at their maturity level and that will be the best indicator of whether they should do a team or not. For example, if your child can follow instructions, listen, concentrate without mummy, and not pee on the mat then maybe you should give it a go if the team is good.

Pretty much. At this age it is more about having fun and learning the basics of a routine than the actual skills. Yes, especially with the new age cutoff, there are tiny teams with impressive skills, but it's not a requirement.

If the gym you're at has a prep or half year team, this could be a cheaper way for her to try it out.

Most of those teams though do not have 3 and young 4s on their team because of maturity and those skills required.

My CP started right when she turned 4 and she was the youngest on the team. Most of the team was 5 turning 6 and I could tell a huge difference in skill set and abilities - just in what they were physically able to do.

Now she is 4.5 and her previous team mostly all moved up to mini. There is a new slew of 5 turning 6 year olds and after just a few months their skills surpass hers just because they are physically capable of a bit more. There are two other 4 year olds on her team and you can pretty much tell by watching who the young ones are.

So all that to say - she will pick up quickly and while she is so young, the limitation on what she can do will be because of her physical ability and muscle coordination.

They do expect our girls to take it seriously, to a point. I see some teams who literally go onto the mat and play ring around the rosies for part of the choreography. While it's cute I can do that at preschool for much cheaper. :)

I would DEFINITELY go by her maturity and attention span. There is a newly 4 year old on the team who the coaches finally just gave up her spot to let her wander around. She's not able to pay attention for an hour of practice or take direction. As team mom trying to herd her around NCA this past weekend....I'm not sure she is ready.

CP had just turned 4 when she made our gym's competitive T1 team (we have 2 T1 teams, the other one is more of a show team and doesn't really compete and only practices 1 day/1hr per week and the competitive T1 team practices 2 days/1hr each practice). Based on her maturity she could handle being the youngest and smallest and loved the challenge. My older DD wouldn't have enjoyed it. CP learned so much that year and the next season she was 5 and on the T1 team and crossed to M1. This is her 3rd season and CP and 3 other girls from that 1st year T1 team are together on the M2 team. It's like they picked up where they left off 2 seasons ago.

I share all of that to say CP has taught me that I never give her enough credit. She has awed me every season with what she can do and is constantly showing me that she's capable of more than I ever assume of her. She's 6 now and while age eligible for T1 she's thriving on a M2 team. The little ones, when in a good environment with realistic expectations, can do well on a competitive team. It needs to be age appropriate, infused with fun. The friendships she's made on her T1 teams are thriving to this day! So if you feel you DD would enjoy it, and have realistic expectations and remember it's meant to be fun...Go for it! Cheer may be her thing or she may realize she wants to keep trying things. No harm in trying things for a season.

I would DEFINITELY go by her maturity and attention span. There is a newly 4 year old on the team who the coaches finally just gave up her spot to let her wander around. She's not able to pay attention for an hour of practice or take direction. As team mom trying to herd her around NCA this past weekend....I'm not sure she is ready.

Yes.

Know your kid and be honest with yourself about what he/she is capable of doing!

Example: You know whether your 4-year-old is capable of being without you long enough to practice with a team (in terms of separation anxiety.)

There are people who will tell coaches "Yeah, she's three but she's fully potty trained and just LOVES to cheer! Like, she will seriously pay attention the whole 40 minutes and has forward and backward rolls. And separation? She loves cheer so much she just runs away from me when we get there!" because THEY want their kid to be ready for cheer.

Then as soon as mom pulls off she's in tears and refuses to even go into the gym area. And pees.

That's perfectly normal for a kid that age but an indicator that they're not really ready for an organized activity.

See also: the kids at my son's soccer games who are sobbing from the moment they are dropped off until the moment they're picked up and sit on the sideline crying because they want mom - while not following coach directions (ages 4-6.) Parents want soccer for kids. Kids are not ready!

Last edited:
My daughter, who's three and wanted to start lessons, is taking private tumbling lessons at a competitive gym with all levels of all star teams. Her lesson is 30 minutes, once a week. She loves it and is doing very well, according to her coach. She really loves watching the older girls on the teams practicing. They have a tiny team, which she would be old enough for next season. Just wondering how many have started at this age and if you'd recommend waiting another year, just sticking to lessons and gaining skills. Or jump in if she wants to in the spring? Obviously, I don't have any cheer experience and don't want to overwhelm either of us!

My daughter started at 4 so I don't think she's too young. What I do think happens to a lot of those kids is overzealous parents and if you can avoid that maddness, she'll do fine and likely enjoy it. CP turned 7 this year and shows no signs of walking away, but I try and keep as low key as absolute possible.

Interesting to read your thoughts about burnout... Also, my 5yo is sensitive, I don't want her yelled at by cheer coaches. My older one (7) can handle it although I don't love it. Anyway, your post makes me feel good about not being in a rush to put my little one on a cheer team! She does tumbling which she likes and also plays soccer.

I'd be personally weary of any cheer team that allowed Tiny's to be truly yelled at. Even CP's current Mini 1; no yelling. They may get the "I'm not impressed" or "That was sloppy do it again," but never full on yelling, yelling.

I'd be personally weary of any cheer team that allowed Tiny's to be truly yelled at. Even CP's current Mini 1; no yelling. They may get the "I'm not impressed" or "That was sloppy do it again," but never full on yelling, yelling.

My kid was yelled at plenty last year on minis at our old gym. I didn't like it. Tinys might be "safer".

My kid was yelled at plenty last year on minis at our old gym. I didn't like it. Tinys might be "safer".

That is kinda sad. Where we sit, if there is yelling we can hear it and I honestly can't remember a single time where I've ever heard our coach raise his voice in anything other than excitement or to announce something.

Back