Tiny Jumps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 18, 2014
Do you guys have any tips for teaching a tiny team how to jump?

I've never coached this age group before (used to senior teams) and I find that jumps are where they're struggling the most. I'm not sure what to do beyond repetition/going step by step.

Ideally, I would want them to do pike, double toe for their jump sequence but right now it's looking like a triple toe might be significantly easier (still TOUGH for them).

I hate that the scoresheet generally requires double jumps or above to get into the higher scoring ranges and max out.

At this age, they generally just aren't ready for it and it ends up looking like Popcorn McCrazy Arms.

Lol at Popcorn McCrazy Arms. It's a perfect description.

I'm not a coach, just a three year tiny parent, so not much advice besides repetition and CP seems to do better when it's slowed down. CP can do a good toe touch for her age but put it in a routine or a double/triple and she basically does T jumps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My then 6 year old was struggling A LOT with the timing of jumps! I tried to help her at home lol. I explained that you JUMP and LAND on the different counts. For example jump on 4, land on 5, jump on 6, land on 7, jump on 8. Otherwise they often end up going too soon on the 2nd & 3rd jumps.

I coach youth, and I usually start them on 3 single jumps, with preps in the middle (usually an 8 count each jump). Once they are comfortable with that, I add the connection of jumps, giving them specific counts each. Older kids, but I find they have trouble connecting them too

I hate that the scoresheet generally requires double jumps or above to get into the higher scoring ranges and max out.

At this age, they generally just aren't ready for it and it ends up looking like Popcorn McCrazy Arms.
this is probably one of my biggest pet peeves in jump scoring in tiny/mini!!!!!!!!! About time I see someone comment about this.

I found that giving them a job on every single count helped. It's not enough to just say, do the jump on 4, 6 and 8. They need to know what 5, 7 and 1 are for. We did just connected T jumps to start. Then 1 toe touch, 2 T jumps etc.

It took forever and a half, and some of them still couldn't figure it out by the end of the year. At a certain point with tiny/mini, you just have to let go and let God. Because sometimes they just won't get it.

As of 17-18 they no longer require jumps for Mini and Tiny to be connected for high range, this maybe one of my new favorite changes lol.

https://varsity.com/uploads/editor/files/PDFS/AllStar/17/17-18_VAS_Scoring.pdf

THANK THE LAWDDDD - I agree, I LOVE this change!

We work on t-jumps until maybe a month prior to competition time...it seems to really help them with timing and arm placement....as much as that's even possible with this age group.

Also, are you doing single counts or double counted jumps?

THANK THE LAWDDDD - I agree, I LOVE this change!

We work on t-jumps until maybe a month prior to competition time...it seems to really help them with timing and arm placement....as much as that's even possible with this age group.

Also, are you doing single counts or double counted jumps?

AHHH!!! SO excited about this change. Making them not connected will help loads.

And to answer your question, we've been doing single counts. I don't want them to have a hard time when they age out and move to mini/youth. However, I don't use counts for jumps. Right now, I've been having them say "Clap, Up, Swing, & Jump" instead of "1,2,3, jump 4".

I find that saying what they need to do helps them remember.

AHHH!!! SO excited about this change. Making them not connected will help loads.

And to answer your question, we've been doing single counts. I don't want them to have a hard time when they age out and move to mini/youth. However, I don't use counts for jumps. Right now, I've been having them say "Clap, Up, Swing, & Jump" instead of "1,2,3, jump 4".

If they are younger tinys (3-4 year olds) many of them don't have the motor development to do single count jumps at routine speed. You might consider 2 count jumps. It really isn't hard to speed them up when they get older. My CP learned them as 2 count jumps on her prep team and sped them up fine when she moved to full season.

I definitely agree with @cheer25mom
We teach our tinys 2 count jumps (clasp 1,2, up 3,4, swing 5, jump 6, land 7, stand 8) and they don't seem to have a problem moving on to the single count jumps when they move on to minis.

My other suggestion: Counts, counts, counts. Drill them now because when that music comes on and they have to try and count to it...well... I have no words to describe that struggle.
Last year we had a very young group of tinys and we started out the year counting for them. Then as we moved on we made them count for themselves before we moved on to music. It really helped the transition.

Back