All-Star Tiny Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 18, 2009
Sorry if this is already a post I looked but had no luck finding it. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice for coaching a tiny team and how to keep them motivated the whole 2 hours of practice. With 3-5 year olds it's hard to keep them from not getting bored. They love contest and I try to make everything into a game in some way but if anyone could give me any things they do with their tinys I would really appreciate it!! Thanks

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

2 hours is a long time for Tinys... The programs around here are 1 hour and the coaches have the same problem!
Lots of stickers to the ones that listen!! whoever has the most stickers on them at the end of practice get to pick something out of the "treasure chest" (gum, candy, dollar store stuff) and colored tape Xs on the floor so they know where to go!

agreed, an hour twice a week is far more productive than a two hour practice. Ask for athlete-coaches to help and have lots of stations so there is less waiting around. Break the practice up so that they don't spend more than 15 minutes doing one thing. Work with one stunt group while another coach/helper is working jumps or motions, etc.

Never try to coach a child under five to more than an hour at a time. At that point it's just spinning wheels. An hour practice twice a week. Now some kids who have been cheering since age 4 may can handle more, they usually get whiny. As stated above keep em moving, make it fun. They grasp more than we think but small doses at a time! Basically like all men, feed us a lot of info at one time and we shut down, spoon feed us and make us laugh and we are putty in your hands!

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!

Thank you so much for all the reply's! They really help me out! I feel the same way about the 2 hr practice but unfortunately that is what the owner has chosen for them.

If you're stuck with two hours really try to take your time since there's no rush. Do your jumps, play a little game, take a water break. Do your first stunt, play a little game, take a water break. This way even though you have a two hour practice, they're only receiving instruction for an hour and 15.

Wow...2 hours?! We do 1 hour twice a week, and that's a lot. I would break it into smaller pieces if you must keep the 2 hours. Everything should be a game, even stretching. Just go slow, and when their minds start wandering, time for a break.

I coached my tinys for 2 1/2 hours every Sunday morning for 3 seasons :) With good planning it is not that bad..
One thing they loved was a tumbling "obstacle course" warm up. Each of the 9 mat panels would have 1-2 stations set up (some were basic cartwheel/walkover/bridge/etc drills and other were just for fun). The kids would work their way through the whole mat and then start over. They absolutely loved this.
Also I would always tell them how many of each we were doing. That way it was easier for them to stay motivated because they were "counting down" the number of jump sequences or pyramids until the next water break/game/etc as opposed to just doing it over and over again.

Other recommendations:
-Get them used to the music. The more you play it, the better.
-Don't always mark the routine in front of them. The more you can build independence the better it is. I used to challenge them to do several 8 counts of motions by themselves one by one. I would also run the whole routine with minimal help even though they needed it. Slowly but surely they learn not to depend on the coach too much.
-Be careful with rewards. You don't want them to get used to doing something only because there is a prize at the end of it.
- Formation games are really useful at the beginning of the season. You play music and when it stops you yell out a formation and they have one 8 count to get into it.
- Have them run as many full outs as possible and in front of spectators at least once per practice. They barely break a sweat so theres really no limit as to how many you can do... and it usually is way more useful than trying to clean things.
-Use metaphors, it makes them laugh but actually helps them understand better.

Good luck! :)

My one recommendation is to make sure you get your tinys to perform in front of a crowd before an actual competition. I know one year I coached tinys, a few of the girls got stage fright at competitions and ran off the mat so after that I would always have them practice in front of crowd to try to get them used to it:D

I know our tiny team coach really spoiled them, had lots of contests, they really improved so much from beginning of the season to the end. She made a treasure chest with stuff like stickers , little cheap toys , candy to give them after practice, they had to earn it though! Also they had contest who can be the sharpest , who can do a skill the cleanest, who had the best facials, who can hold a handstand the longest which motivated each girl and they loved having contest and little did they know it helped them be better! Yea you have your good and bad practices, but really reward them and be patient! They practiced for 2 hours twice a week, and there were only 6 of them though this year there's like 10.

Lots of good advice , but I would also say that practicing entrances and exits is also an essential! Definitely try to get them used to performing in front of others, whether it be parents, front desk staff or other teams.

Back