Tiny Young Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Curious how do you coaches prepare flyers turned bases to base their current level stunts. How do you coach tiny noodleflyers to pull their weight etc?

What do you do if that tiny flyer continues to be a noodle? Pull from stunt and let her nugget during stunts? How about the former flyer refusing to learn how to stunt?

Curious how do you coaches prepare flyers turned bases to base their current level stunts. How do you coach tiny noodleflyers to pull their weight etc?

What do you do if that tiny flyer continues to be a noodle? Pull from stunt and let her nugget during stunts? How about the former flyer refusing to learn how to stunt?

Personally, I do drill days about once a month where everyone has to do every single job to the best of their ability. We put together random groups and have them work together to hit the safest, most difficult stunt they can or at minimum, do drills to mimic the skills. We do this with all our levels and teams. Gives everyone an idea of what all the jobs are. If the bases from say our junior team need bigger bases to see how flying feels, we use our adult coaches or the senior girls.

As far as noodle flyers, I find it's often that they don't understand what muscles DO. We'll practice a lot of hollow body holds, handstands etc. It's not enough to tell some kids "pull up". They don't know what it means. Being very specific in what the correction is has been successful for us.

What if you have say, 4 spots, and 6 flyers that can hit safely and consistently, then how do you decide? It's that point where things like, who is fatiguing their bases the most, etc should come into play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never had that happen. We're a pretty tiny program (65 ish kids). I can't say for sure what I'd do, but yes, that would come into play. Along with things like who's performing it best or how the choreography flows.

What if you have say, 4 spots, and 6 flyers that can hit safely and consistently, then how do you decide? It's that point where things like, who is fatiguing their bases the most, etc should come into play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would take into consideration what the top girls could do if they aren't flying. Like if I have 18 athletes, and 2 of my 6 potential top girls are extremely gifted/strong tumblers, I may have them tumble during stunts and possibly fly for baskets or pyramid. If I have 16 athletes, I would utilize the two top girls that are stronger bases to base in elite stunts, and potentially give them an opportunity to fly in baskets or pyramid and have two of the other top girls base or backspot. I believe well-rounded athletes are the best athletes. Teams don't need one trick ponies, coaches love kids that we can stick anywhere and they'll bust their booties to make it work. Whatever it comes down to, it is whatever is best for the team.

I've had small bases on the ground and "big" top girls in the air, but not in the same group. Tiny top girls don't need big bases, and big bases shouldn't be basing tiny top girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back