All-Star Tips For Back Flex?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 21, 2016
hi! My daughter has amazing front flexibility, but is struggling with her scorpion/needle because her shoulders and back are not flexible. When she stretches then pulls the position, her hip turns out. Any tips for stretches that have been effective? Thanks!

My CP worked on back bends quite a bit. She would do the backbend and push off her toes to make her shoulders go over her hands. Rock back and forth and then try to walk her feet closer. Also, cobra stretch is good. Have her do it on her hands and her elbows. Have her look up/back as far as she can and hold for 20-30 seconds. I also had my CP stand facing a wall and I would pull her leg up for her. Make sure she is keeping her hips square with the wall and you are pulling her leg straight up, not off to the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please, please, please, PLEASE make sure that your daughter stretches both sides of her back equally. She needs to pull positions on both sides too. If she only works one side of her back, the other side will weaken which opens her up to back injury later on.

We found a video that showed how to use a sports bra to stretch scorpions/needles and that was incredibly helpful for my daughter (loop it around the ankle, then twist and hold and pull it like a stretch band). She has a very flexible back and legs (that's her in my avatar), but her shoulder flexibility was lacking. I also had her do straight leg bridges to push over her shoulders. She's soooooo close to her needle now and she could barely pull a scorpion in July.

Thank you all!! My girl can pull an overextended bow on both sides with zero stretching- its actually kind of gross lol. But her back has been an issue. Our current gym never worked it with her, instead showcased her crazy front flex. But we will likely be changing gyms in may, and a level 4 flyer w/out back flex is not a good thing. I'll have her try the videos! And make sure she does stretch both sides.

Thank you all!! My girl can pull an overextended bow on both sides with zero stretching- its actually kind of gross lol. But her back has been an issue. Our current gym never worked it with her, instead showcased her crazy front flex. But we will likely be changing gyms in may, and a level 4 flyer w/out back flex is not a good thing. I'll have her try the videos! And make sure she does stretch both sides.
When she does her splits, put some sort of surface under her heel so she get an incline. While shes in the split have her reach up and backwards. Make sure her shoulders are rotated back and SLOWLY pull her back to her knee. Try to have her lock her arms out. You also can have her lay on the ground with her legs kind of in a herkie. (Left leg straight. Right leg bent). From there she can practice trying to actually reach around a pull. (Basically have her lay on the ground and try to pull her Scorp.) If your CP has really good flexibity roll them into their split while they are laying and pulling the scorp. Hope some of that helps!!

Tips. stretching on the floor laying down is easier/stretches farther than stretching standing up (for some). Make sure she isn't holding her breath while stretching. release breath during the hardest part of the stretch and she can pull just a little bit farther. If you are doing a stretch where you are pulling her backwards over a split or over both legs behind her (grabbing her arms and trying to pull her back down toward the floor, her leg etc,) dont pull straight back. this pinches things. pull up and then back so this opens up the spine instead of pinching it. My pet peeve is seeing people pull a girl backward by the arms without opening up first by pulling upward and back risking pinching the spine. also a good beginner is doorway stretches. one leg up behind her in a doorway and she works on walking her hands up the other side of the doorway. again making sure hips are squared. and as already stated, work both sides. one side might be easier but always do both. my daughter has needles on both sides and these are the stretches she used to do. good luck

Back