All-Star Tips For Improving Layouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 28, 2016
I've had my layout for years, but it's always been more of a whip than a layout. My set in my tuck is really good, but it's not nearly as good in my layouts. I try to set and I don't really know how to stop arching my back. Despite having such terrible layouts I started doing fulls. I have a full now but it's tucked, and I'm assuming it's because I set so much better in my tucks than my layouts. Now I can't fix my full or start working on doubles until I fix my technique in my layout. Are there any good drills I can do that will help me with my layouts (and fulls/doubles)?

Hollow body holds, doing rebounds from tumble track into a pit or mat onto your back, holding hollow form the entire time. Those were some drills I did. Also, since it is layout maybe strengthen your core? For me it was my shoulders, if your body position in layout is good, keep your head in and see where your shoulders are going! if they are going back, so will your body.

It might seem scary, but it's what I had to do... people always said "Arch less, Arch less", but I couldn't, so I approached it from the other side. I started with no arch, and then once I was comfortable with a big set, and a terribly slow layout with a pike at the end, I started to add a very minimal arch to the start of my set to increase my speed.

Really though, time was the thing that improved my layout the most. And the biggest recent improvement has been significantly decreasing the time it takes from my handspring into the set for my layout (fast handspring equals chest lower, equals way higher layout.)

The corrections given here are correct. The issue I would have is that without seeing it, it is hard to diagnose the real issue. I have some guesses but don't want to assume. If you post a video here, or email it to me at [email protected] I can give you a better answer and drills to specifically address it.

The way I/we coach it here is that the set for a tuck is no different than the set for the layout. Every skill and step leading up to it must be consistent. This does not mean doing it, but it looks and feels exactly the same. If a running tuck is not head height or higher when inverted (upside down in the middle of the air) then, we are not working layouts until that is fixed. Once it is fixed, we don't teach a new skill: we teach a new body position. The only difference between the tuck and the layout is the shape of the skill and not the skill itself. This is why consistency is the key. When you think and make it a different skill, you put extra into it - which often throws you a little bit off.

Another issue we don't like to address is if the ROBHS is not long, tight and strong enough it does affect the height in the tuck or layout. Simply punching the ground harder will not fix a lead up skill issue.

Absent of a video any thing that reinforces the correct layout shape will help you. Those posted above are all good ideas.

The corrections given here are correct. The issue I would have is that without seeing it, it is hard to diagnose the real issue. I have some guesses but don't want to assume. If you post a video here, or email it to me at [email protected] I can give you a better answer and drills to specifically address it.

The way I/we coach it here is that the set for a tuck is no different than the set for the layout. Every skill and step leading up to it must be consistent. This does not mean doing it, but it looks and feels exactly the same. If a running tuck is not head height or higher when inverted (upside down in the middle of the air) then, we are not working layouts until that is fixed. Once it is fixed, we don't teach a new skill: we teach a new body position. The only difference between the tuck and the layout is the shape of the skill and not the skill itself. This is why consistency is the key. When you think and make it a different skill, you put extra into it - which often throws you a little bit off.

Another issue we don't like to address is if the ROBHS is not long, tight and strong enough it does affect the height in the tuck or layout. Simply punching the ground harder will not fix a lead up skill issue.

Absent of a video any thing that reinforces the correct layout shape will help you. Those posted above are all good ideas.

Thanks, I just emailed you a video!

Thanks, I just emailed you a video!

Thanks! It was in my spam folder.

Based on what I am seeing the following things I would address:

Hollow set - Yes you are throwing the head back and not staying tight thru your core in the set. There should be a rise of your body upward before initiating the skill.The hollow body drills that were mentioned on the boards will help this a whole lot.

Arms are setting really wide - I teach a High V type of set. Yours are reaching out almost like doing a whip back.

Pushing the hips forward in the set - This is due mostly to your leg position. Your feet should be slightly in back of you to directly under you. This would help eliminate the pushing the hips forward as well. The spring floor will help compensate for this of course, but going into fulls it would be an issue.

Hope this helps!
cleardot.gif

The toughest thing about any new skill, is applying the foundational skill into the new skill. Ex: For a full, a lot of people think spin but forget to apply the proper form of a layout into the full. For future advice, when you start to try your fulls and double fulls again, what I like to do is tell myself to do a layout prior instead of just thinking do a full, that way my set is directed into a hollow body form more then an arched spin from leading with your shoulders back instead of guiding them up and shrugging.

But what I have learned from coaching and also still cheering, is that anytime you want to fix a bad habit, you have to try your absolute best to not be afraid of the skill you're trying to feel more strange then it usually does. If the skill feels weird, at least you know you are making a correction, and hopefully a good one for that matter.

Give a little bit extra then you usually would, instead of approaching it with the mentality of just do a layout, make a little more of an effort in it, and you will sure to fix it eventually because eventually your mind will start to think differently then usual.

Make sure on your take off, you are already hollow(that way you dont need to take the time mid flip to try and hollow over which usually results in a pike.) and you are spotting the front, and as you begin to flip, your chin stays down, seeing your toes come up and over. Good luck!! Layouts are tricky, but take the time to perfect them instead of rushing into new skills and you will get the higher skills a lot smoother and quicker!!:)

Back