All-Star Tips On A Quick Fix For A Too-big Top? Urgent!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 4, 2016
Hiya! I'm kinda freaking out right now since our uniforms came in late. We got our tops yesterday and our capris today. The only problem is, my top is too big for me!

It's fine in everywhere except for the bottom, where it's too loose. It's a crop top so, whilst it's not very noticeable in the mirror, it's so distracting while wearing it! I need a quick fix to make it tighter since we have a showcase TODAY and our first real competition is a week from today! Any help would be appreciated!

Hiya! I'm kinda freaking out right now since our uniforms came in late. We got our tops yesterday and our capris today. The only problem is, my top is too big for me!

It's fine in everywhere except for the bottom, where it's too loose. It's a crop top so, whilst it's not very noticeable in the mirror, it's so distracting while wearing it! I need a quick fix to make it tighter since we have a showcase TODAY and our first real competition is a week from today! Any help would be appreciated!

I'd suggest taking it in at the side seams, starting at the arm pit and working your way down to the rib area. Take in more as you go, since it's looser there, and very little under the arms if it fits better there. Take in both sides evenly, so for example, if you need an inch total, make the bottom a 1/2 inch on each side. I hope that makes sense. I'll see if I can find an easy video and post a link.

Is this your uniform to keep? If so, I suggest a sewing machine. If it belongs to the club, use a slightly longer stitch, similar to a basting stitch as it will be easier to remove later. I use that with my school uniforms as I don't want them necessarily to be a smaller side in future seasons. Sewing this by hand will be trickier and will likely not look as good. Remember to pin first and ensure your fabric edges line up well (different design elements, etc.)

ETA - starting about 1:05 will show you the sewing part. I would highly recommend getting this professionally done normally, if you have no experience (cheer fabric can be slippery and difficult to work with), but since you have no time, see if that works. You can also just tack in the bottom of the side seams, but it will look messier, even if it gets you through showcase

The fabric it's made of will determine what needs to be done. I am assuming this is an all star uniform made from stretch fabrics. It is a whole different ball game than a school cheer uniform. Be VERY careful sewing anything that is spandex, as it will run easily. Make sure you are using s ball point needle on anything that is a stretch or knit fabric. I suggest wearing a sports bra today in case of wardrobe malfunction and taking it to a professional for alterations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents...don't cut anything. You can take it in on the side seams without cutting.

Also you can try a dry cleaner, they might be able to help you if you don't have a sewing machine. If you can get thru the showcase then take it to a tailor that might be best. Ask around and see if you can find someone that does dance costumes, those usually need tons of adjustments so there are always plenty of tailors out there that work with these kinds of alterations.

i wasnt really paying attention and thought when i clicked on the thread it was gonna be about what to do with a big flyer :confused:

Back