Tips On Making Bows??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 4, 2012
I've been making bows for a little while and no matter what I do, I can't seem to cut the tails correctly. I light the ends so they won't fray, but i cant seem to get through the ribbon evenly. For those of you who make bows, which type of scissors work best?

I bought a good pair that also cuts fabric. The newer the better. I cut mine in a "V." then burn the ends. Don't know if that helps.

I use a heat programmable flat iron and set it to over 400 degrees, then melt the ends. I found that folding the end in half and then cutting diagonally makes the perfect V.

I cut mine by folding in half too for making a V. There is a product that is called Fray Check that you can use to help seal the ends, but I also use clear nail polish. (I use a base coat.) When I burn the ends, I have noticed the ends sort of shrink or end up with a little discoloring. I know that is partially because I put the flame too close, but if I hold it further away it doesn't seem to work...

I use fiskar scissors with the orange handle. And use a lighter to heat seal the ends. You probably just need sharper scissors. Old ones don't cut fabric as well.

Does anyone know where to buy the rhinestone transfers like the one used below? I am getting tired of putting on each rhinestone by hand it takes way too long for a bow like this... Thanks!

GetAttachment.aspx

Fray Check. or burn the ends where it is fray-ed with a lighter. you can also try putting hot glue on the ends!! ive been making bows for a really long time and that is always what i do!

Back