All-Star Tips On Performing A Routine (facials, "selling It")

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 3, 2012
I coach a high school team in Michigan and all 3 of our routines consist of yelling words the entire time. I cannot get my girls to really get into it! They have 3 really fabulous, unique routines and they look SO bored the entire time. We will not score well without it really being performed well.

With that being said, what tips and tricks do you guys use to really get your girls into their routine? How do you push facials?
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned facials by sitting in front of a mirror and marking it while watching myself. That was back when people did the AEIOU of facials, but seriously, have them watch themselves.

Omg I use to tell my cheerleaders the whole A E I O U thing lol they would laugh at me cause I guess coming from an adult and an adult showing it is just weird lmao

Treat their practices like you do with motions. If their motions aren't clean, we stop and start again. If they don't have facials, stop and start them again until you see facials. You perform what you practice

We have done this with both performance and skills. We go full out, and if at any point in the routine (because of deductions, not performing/being clean, etc.) the coaches think it's not good enough, we start again. Let me tell you by the 7th or 8th time you do opening/stunt sequence full out in a row (without stopping between) you are PERFORMING and hitting your stunts like never before

Thanks guys! I LOVEEEE the AEIOU tip, I've never heard of that one!!
We definitely are on board the "do it again" train, though. Sometimes it just feels like a waste of time because we start over SO much.

OMG don't do the AEIOU. When all else fails, a smile and singing the music work.
Is that like always a bad idea???? We yell words the entire routine (michigan hs cheer) and I thought it might help them kind of attach a facial to a word better & they could practice voice inflections while doing so. But if I'm missing something bad then I def don't want to teach it to them :D

Here's a little snippet from our comp today. This is my favorite (and the 'weirdest' for lack of a better word) part of the whole routine but I think they just look so bored. They're mostly smiling, which is good, but compared to the other teams it just looks like they don't want to be there lol.

Is that like always a bad idea???? We yell words the entire routine (michigan hs cheer) and I thought it might help them kind of attach a facial to a word better & they could practice voice inflections while doing so. But if I'm missing something bad then I def don't want to teach it to them :D

Here's a little snippet from our comp today. This is my favorite (and the 'weirdest' for lack of a better word) part of the whole routine but I think they just look so bored. They're mostly smiling, which is good, but compared to the other teams it just looks like they don't want to be there lol.

It's dated and NEVER attractive. I wouldn't say the look bored, but it's not easy to emote while you're projecting your voice.

It's dated and NEVER attractive. I wouldn't say the look bored, but it's not easy to emote while you're projecting your voice.
LOL this. Watching old school routines sometimes cracks me up for this reason. Nothing beats looking genuinely excited and energetic. I was never able to keep a smile off my face when I performed.

I want to say... I LOVE your teams choreo because it is deliberate and controlled. I feel like too many teams want to pack as many motions as possible into a sequence without much concern for actual execution (some NCA-focused teams are especially guilty of this). I wish every state paid as much attention to sharpness as Michigan.

LOL this. Watching old school routines sometimes cracks me up for this reason. Nothing beats looking genuinely excited and energetic. I was never able to keep a smile off my face when I performed.

I want to say... I LOVE your teams choreo because it is deliberate and controlled. I feel like too many teams want to pack as many motions as possible into a sequence without much concern for actual execution (some NCA-focused teams are especially guilty of this). I wish every state paid as much attention to sharpness as Michigan.

Thank you, I'm really proud of it!!! But I will say that you def wish every state paid this much attention to it until you have to coach it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I never thought it would be this hard lol

Thank you, I'm really proud of it!!! But I will say that you def wish every state paid this much attention to it until you have to coach it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I never thought it would be this hard lol

Never hurts to run practices in your head. I do it all the time LOL, and come up with some hopefully effective corrections. It's really about getting into their heads and teaching them to correct themselves.

One of the cutest athletes I've ever watched was a Tiny 1 flyer that had been coached to do the AEIOU, blowfish, and stick your tongue out facials.....she was about 4. Four, IMO, should be the official age limit for the AEIOU, blowfish, and stick your tongue out facials. Nothing is more entertaining and appealing than a smile and self confidence.

Back