All-Star To All Adults Affiliated With All-star Cheer, Dance Or Gymnastics; Research Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 16, 2010
I need ideas for research!

If you know me, you know that along with being a Judge, I’m also a Kindergarten teacher, and a Graduate student at Texas A&M University and with the combined efforts of my fellow cheerleader psychology friends, we have been testing for my thesis for about 5 years now.

My thesis is the following:
The effects of gymnastic and gymnastic related sports (choreographed sports) on the mind of developing children.

Keep in mind, I am presenting this as a psychology based research, and will only be testing and presenting effects on cognition, IQ, response time, memorization and things related to the mind ONLY.

I have already tested SEVERAL hypotheses and found some AMAZING results!
Some of the research and testing I have done has shown the following:
-There is a direct positive correlation between children whom actively participate in choreographed sports, and above average IQ levels.
-Learning choreographed dances has shown to directly and immediately increase children’s memory capacity.
-93% of children that actively participate in choreographed sports were considered above average students in both behavior, and academics. Whereas the 26% of children whom had never participated in any choreographed sports.
These are just a few of the numerous studies we have done!

The reason for me posting this here is that I have been working on testing several hypotheses’ but I need more ideas! If your parent/coach… or anyone that observes kids behavior and grades…. Or even if you think you might have a valid hypothesis…. what benefits or disadvantages do you think cheerleading/dance/gymnastics has on the mind of developing children?

Thanks and Gig'em!
-Jenna

its been a while since my psychology days.

The Results sound fantastic. few questions though, have you compared choreographed sports to other sports? I've forgotten what its called but have you accounted for other variables? ie Socioeconomic Status, how were their grades etc before participating. Can you show a Causal Relationship? Is it the learning of all the choreography or is it the dedication and drive of the child that allows them to excel in sports and academics? What about a comparison to playing musical instruments?

All of these things were addressed in the original write up of the experiments. I just gave the simplest form on here!
All data found significant was compared to a control.

All of these things were addressed in the original write up of the experiments. I just gave the simplest form on here!
All data found significant was compared to a control.

This is out there, but have you considered looking at kids with a traumatic experience and comparing how kids involved in cheer/sports vs kids not involved have survived the experience - such as grades, social interaction, etc? Many kids are victims of all kinds of horrible experiences, does keeping them in an organized team activity help them adjust better than kids that aren't?? You can PM if you want more specifics - I don't want to get into details here...

Im doing Psychology now, and hopefully going on to study it at uni, if I get the grades that is...
but anyway, your reaults look reallyyyy good! Id love to hear about any other studies you do, or see the full version of the one you mentioned above. I think klcsooners idea sounds really good too, about how coreographed sports can influence how children get over traumatic stress...

Another idea would be how different "strictness" for want of a better word, affects the IQ and behaviour of children, i.e. Do children who have trained in a more firm, stricter enviroment behave differently to those who ahve trained in a more relaxed enviroment?
Good Luck in any further studies you do :)

LOVE the trauma idea. My daughter lost her best friend (my mom) when she was in 1st grade. I strongly believe that All-Star cheer / tumbling helped her in so many ways to get through it. Her grades were not affected at all and she has continued to thrive. This year she is in 3rd grade and has tested into Gifted. She has been an all-star since she was 5 and the benefits are amazing!

This is out there, but have you considered looking at kids with a traumatic experience and comparing how kids involved in cheer/sports vs kids not involved have survived the experience - such as grades, social interaction, etc? Many kids are victims of all kinds of horrible experiences, does keeping them in an organized team activity help them adjust better than kids that aren't?? You can PM if you want more specifics - I don't want to get into details here...
Excellent suggestion! This will be takin into serious consideration! We will have to look in to testing this!

Excellent suggestion! This will be takin into serious consideration! We will have to look in to testing this!

Another life altering experience is a move or relocation to another state. Does a child who continues to have that consistent choreographed activity (cheerleading) have an easier adjustment to a new school versus a child not involed in the activity?

How about the affects of the parents of kids who participate in choreographed athletics? With lack of a better way to phrase it, are they "better parents"? Meaning how do they do with their jobs , do they stay out of trouble, do they participate in bettering their community, do they stay more involved with their kids ie parent-teach conferences etc.
Also I know their have been studies that show cheer kids build great communication skills resulting in successful pharm sales positions (even a President or two) but I'd love to see how cheer affects the future!! I wish you the best of luck, can't wait to see/hear more of your results!

I believe this might fall under the Behavioral Aspects but have you looked at the effect of chereographed athletics on their Time Management Skills? I think this has been looked at in relation to Sports Participation in general but the kids seem to learn how to Manage their time better and get everything accomplished with their demanding schedules including practice. It seems that they get their studying done and don't waste time during their days because they do not have that option--i.e. don't spend/waste a lot of time watching TV or on the internet--they know/learn how to prioritize their schedules.

I know your thesis is on the effect of choreographed athletics on kids, but I personally feel coaching saved me from a very dark time in my life. If just coaching can do that for me, I'm sure that kids see some benefit
smile.png

Back