All-Star To Be Continued...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

USA Cheer =/= Special Olympics, in really any capacity other than their IRS classification.

We’re not talking about helping kids here, were talking about expanding the marketing reach and sales power of a billion dollar company. VBs plan since the late 90s has been to focus on International expansion to continue to grow their bottom line.

The practice is called a "non-profit/for-profit collaboration" in business and they provide a lot of good for everyone involved. And no, that doesn't mean the for-profit should provide 100% funding to the non-profit they collaborate with, it's a two way beneficial relationship.

Go read the comments from the donors: "Way to go Mawia! So proud of you!" "What an honor and awesome opportunity! So proud and happy for you!" "We love you Ed, so proud!" "So excited for you! Can't wait to follow you in this journey!" "Congrats Britt! What an awesome opportunity for an awesome girl!"

What you consider "tacky" provided some pretty uplifting comments and support from family and friends and at no expense or inconvenience to you.

this is almost as ridiculous as your adamant defense of STP......

Adamant defense? All I've ever said, and provided articles, is STP is about government facilities that are built specifically to bring in tourism and cities get the revenue off of their city hotel taxes. Those that can bring the money get the venues and dates they want. My defending only goes as far as understanding their dilemma of needing limited large venues on specific dates. I will also "defend" STP when people say the hotel prices are always more expensive, that's just not true. I find yours and others Varsity hate rather entertaining, but when the comments are blatantly false, I speak up. If that's your definition of "adamant defense", so be it.

The practice is called a "non-profit/for-profit collaboration" in business and they provide a lot of good for everyone involved. And no, that doesn't mean the for-profit should provide 100% funding to the non-profit they collaborate with, it's a two way beneficial relationship.

Go read the comments from the donors: "Way to go Mawia! So proud of you!" "What an honor and awesome opportunity! So proud and happy for you!" "We love you Ed, so proud!" "So excited for you! Can't wait to follow you in this journey!" "Congrats Britt! What an awesome opportunity for an awesome girl!"

What you consider "tacky" provided some pretty uplifting comments and support from family and friends and at no expense or inconvenience to you.

Adamant defense? All I've ever said, and provided articles, is STP is about government facilities that are built specifically to bring in tourism and cities get the revenue off of their city hotel taxes. Those that can bring the money get the venues and dates they want. My defending only goes as far as understanding their dilemma of needing limited large venues on specific dates. I will also "defend" STP when people say the hotel prices are always more expensive, that's just not true. I find yours and others Varsity hate rather entertaining, but when the comments are blatantly false, I speak up. If that's your definition of "adamant defense", so be it.
Can you provide me one hotel in Dallas that is cheaper NCA weekend than other weekends?

Asking for multiple cheer families who can’t go to these hotels/even do Allstar because they’re forced into paying for the Omni.

I do not doubt that these kids/families need and appreciate the financial help because I suspect, in a similar model to "brand ambassadors" for bows and t-shirts and such, these kids are being used by the corporation/company to promote the brand (on their parent's dime) while basking in the "honor".

When I was on the board of the 501c3...many of our donors (get your business on the tshirt/banner) wrote it off as "advertising expense". But hey, if you can get parents and other parties to help pay for your "advertising"...why not?

Can you provide me one hotel in Dallas that is cheaper NCA weekend than other weekends?

Asking for multiple cheer families who can’t go to these hotels/even do Allstar because they’re forced into paying for the Omni.

NCA Nationals doesn't force anyone to stay at the Omni, someone's gym might, but that should be addressed at the gym level. Unfortunately, it doesn't work to compare hotel pricing to other weekends if the demand isn't the same. Hotel pricing is just like airline pricing and it fluctuates by demand. What you can do is get on discount travel sites and compare the rate you are receiving to their rate for the same weekend. Sometimes it is higher, but more often than not, I have found STP pricing to be the same, if not better, including hotel pricing at NCA Nationals.

If the cheer community really wants to drive prices down, tell your gym owners you want to support local comps and only attend one end of year big National. I promise you, Varsity will make sure it makes money whether we pay $2000 for hotel/airfare at every comp we attend or we pay no travel expenses at all. The unfortunate part, is that's not what we really want, we enjoy all of the big comps.

@MissCongeniality I agree with your statement above. I'll also add that we, as a society, are becoming so cynical and extreme that we feel the need to insult or tear down anyone or any opportunity that we disagree with or feel is less worthy than what we support. If I had the opportunity to cheer overseas and promote something I loved to do, I would view the marketing as providing growth to something I enjoy, not as being "used". As far as being an "ambassador" I know several people that have gone through the process, they are well aware of being free advertisement, and they still find it fun. I don't get it, but I can accept they enjoy doing it and spend hundreds of dollars in the process.

NCA Nationals doesn't force anyone to stay at the Omni, someone's gym might, but that should be addressed at the gym level. Unfortunately, it doesn't work to compare hotel pricing to other weekends if the demand isn't the same. Hotel pricing is just like airline pricing and it fluctuates by demand. What you can do is get on discount travel sites and compare the rate you are receiving to their rate for the same weekend. Sometimes it is higher, but more often than not, I have found STP pricing to be the same, if not better, including hotel pricing at NCA Nationals.

If the cheer community really wants to drive prices down, tell your gym owners you want to support local comps and only attend one end of year big National. I promise you, Varsity will make sure it makes money whether we pay $2000 for hotel/airfare at every comp we attend or we pay no travel expenses at all. The unfortunate part, is that's not what we really want, we enjoy all of the big comps.

@MissCongeniality I agree with your statement above. I'll also add that we, as a society, are becoming so cynical and extreme that we feel the need to insult or tear down anyone or any opportunity that we disagree with or feel is less worthy than what we support. If I had the opportunity to cheer overseas and promote something I loved to do, I would view the marketing as providing growth to something I enjoy, not as being "used". As far as being an "ambassador" I know several people that have gone through the process, they are well aware of being free advertisement, and they still find it fun. I don't get it, but I can accept they enjoy doing it and spend hundreds of dollars in the process.
Ironically it was the Omni that accidentally handed a receipt to one of our parents that paid through STP...prices showed more than $100/less a night. Regardless, I agree that it does, in a sense boil down to supply and demand, however STP has created a "supply/demand" scenario that pushes up the prices in a different way. With airlines (and in Dallas pre STP) you could get in early, negotiate a group rate, choose to fly cheapy express if you wanted to save $. The ones who snoozed and booked flights/hotels late...did end up paying higher rates as demand increased. But if you booked early, you were saving a bunch! What STP does is jack everything up to that "late rate" from the beginning.

Pre STP we stayed at a "boutique hotel" and got free breakfast for 99/night. Free shuttle too. Post - well over $200 night and only certain hotels allowed. (And that is booking and paying almost a year out)

As far as cynicism etc. I have no issue with people enjoying these experiences...whether it be cheering overseas or promoting tanners and hairpieces...just don't keep asking everyone else to help pay for your "experience" (and this goes far beyond cheer into many other realms as well).

Last edited:
CP has a coach who cheers on Team USA Co-ed. The gym fundraised to help cover her expenses for Nationals, and will likely do so for this as well. It’s beneficial to the gym to have Team USA cheerleaders on staff, but ultimately it comes down to one more thing that parents are being asked to pay for.

Reading all this maybe it was good that I did high school. All of the comps were local or driving distance so it was bus only, varsity got to go to UCA so you had to work your way up and maybe had to pay for that once or twice (unless you made it to varsity early on), and states which was a weekend stay with a bus ride. I wonder how much it's gonna costs by them time I have kids one day.

Most cheer comps used to be local with only a few really big travel comps. It was more affordable, more feasible, less stress, more fun. Then it got "promoted" that if you didn't go to big comps your team/program wasn't any good. Then it got "promoted" that if you didn't win big comps your team or program wasn't any good. Then it was "promoted" that if you didn't bring in a big name choreographer or music person your program wasn't any good. Then it was "promoted" that if you didn't have a Level 5 team, your program wasn't any good. Then it was "promoted" that if you did not have multiple Level 5 teams your program wasn't any good. Then it got "promoted" if you didn't get a bid to Worlds your team/program wasn't any good. Then if you didn't get a partial paid or full paid Worlds bid your team or program wasn't any good. Then if you didn't make it to Finals your team or program wasn't any good. Then the same thing was promoted with Summit.

Sounds like to me the only one truly prospering is the one who has been promoting all this stuff. I wonder who that could be....

***Before it is posted by the defenders of the galaxy in this group - yes people could of said no and I contend that many should of a long time ago. I know we as a family did. But as many people were sounding alarms and raising concerns way back when they were portrayed as conspiracy theorists or worse by people who ultimately were being paid by VB in the first place.***

Most cheer comps used to be local with only a few really big travel comps. It was more affordable, more feasible, less stress, more fun. Then it got "promoted" that if you didn't go to big comps your team/program wasn't any good. Then it got "promoted" that if you didn't win big comps your team or program wasn't any good. Then it was "promoted" that if you didn't bring in a big name choreographer or music person your program wasn't any good. Then it was "promoted" that if you didn't have a Level 5 team, your program wasn't any good. Then it was "promoted" that if you did not have multiple Level 5 teams your program wasn't any good. Then it got "promoted" if you didn't get a bid to Worlds your team/program wasn't any good. Then if you didn't get a partial paid or full paid Worlds bid your team or program wasn't any good. Then if you didn't make it to Finals your team or program wasn't any good. Then the same thing was promoted with Summit.

Sounds like to me the only one truly prospering is the one who has been promoting all this stuff. I wonder who that could be....

***Before it is posted by the defenders of the galaxy in this group - yes people could of said no and I contend that many should of a long time ago. I know we as a family did. But as many people were sounding alarms and raising concerns way back when they were portrayed as conspiracy theorists or worse by people who ultimately were being paid by VB in the first place.***

When it comes to promotion, you're right, we are sheep, but look at youth sports as a whole. Back in the day, "organized sports" was Bobby getting on the rotary phone saying, "Baseball in the field at 2:00 pass it on." We'd get out there and run in a square until the foot high grass was flat, put trash can lids down for bases, drink Koolaid and play until the street lights came on. Now, kids are getting experienced coaches, private lessons, have top of the line uniforms and equipment, play on expensive turf, and have a sport therapist on the sidelines.

Most people I know would love to go back to a happy medium, but when mom's started working there was a huge economy boom, parental guilt, and the Jones competition to have the smartest/prettiest/strongest/most popular/most talented children rose to a whole new level. Combine that with credit cards with smaller minimum payments and the fear of kids being left behind or bullied if they don't keep up with the Joneses.... the Kraken was released long ago.

When it comes to promotion, you're right, we are sheep, but look at youth sports as a whole. Back in the day, "organized sports" was Bobby getting on the rotary phone saying, "Baseball in the field at 2:00 pass it on." We'd get out there and run in a square until the foot high grass was flat, put trash can lids down for bases, drink Koolaid and play until the street lights came on. Now, kids are getting experienced coaches, private lessons, have top of the line uniforms and equipment, play on expensive turf, and have a sport therapist on the sidelines.

Most people I know would love to go back to a happy medium, but when mom's started working there was a huge economy boom, parental guilt, and the Jones competition to have the smartest/prettiest/strongest/most popular/most talented children rose to a whole new level. Combine that with credit cards with smaller minimum payments and the fear of kids being left behind or bullied if they don't keep up with the Joneses.... the Kraken was released long ago.
All so true! Just add the kool aid drinking dream of a scholarship (all youth sports not just cheer) that parents have also fallen for hook, line and sinker. They have your/our number and they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

STP is never a deal as it cuts down the choice of choosing hotels not on the list, renting a house which is usually cheaper when split with other families, and cooking meals, and STP hotels charge can often be beat online.

You've summed it up perfectly. When trying to justify the expense and overall insanity of Allstar cheer, I felt some comfort from the fact that it's all youth sports now, not just cheer. I feel like the only way I was able to keep my frugal husband on board with funding Allstar cheer was the stories from his buddies with boys in baseball.

Reading all this maybe it was good that I did high school. All of the comps were local or driving distance so it was bus only, varsity got to go to UCA so you had to work your way up and maybe had to pay for that once or twice (unless you made it to varsity early on), and states which was a weekend stay with a bus ride. I wonder how much it's gonna costs by them time I have kids one day.
16 athletes, 2 coaches, 1 admin
Thurs arrival via plane (CO), departed Tues. Treated the kids to Universal Studios for dealing with our bs all year ;-)

Total cost: $27k

A good amount was paid for by fundraising. But in the end each family had to cover a portion for their athlete.

Since they were brought into the discussion. Special Olympics provides uniforms, training, transportation, housing, and meals at no cost to the athletes. My daughter spent 3 days at Emory for the Georgia State Spring Games. Everything was 100% funded by Special Olympics both at our county and at the state level. The only thing they charged for were fundraising t-shirts. But those were not even mandatory to purchase. I was a chaperone/coach. They paid for my room and board, travel, and meals too at no expense to me. From what I have been told by other families, if an athlete is picked for the National or World games, their sponsoring organization (county, state, national) covers the cost for everything for the athlete.

Back