All-Star To Each His Own

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 13, 2010
I understand that judges take off points for bracelets and jewelry but is there some type of deduction for visible tattoos?

That is one thing that botheres me colored hair doesnt but tattoos do. I dont know why they just really bother me if there visible!! Most people its the other way around they dont like the hair but dont mind tats!!

i just thought it wa weird how uca instructors have to cover their tattoos but all star cheerleaders dont. if i were a judge i'm not sure if i would take off points but i might write comments on the score sheet.
in this industry image is everything and you dont want to send the wrong message.

bottomline: If a tattoo is that distracting you shouldn't be a judge. Most judges are a significant distance away, so I think if we get to the point of taking off points for tattoos then we are concentrating on all the wrong things. Jewelry is one thing, because it can be dangerous. Tattoos are simply apart of your body. I think the girl with the obnoxiously orange or uneven tan is far more distracting than a girl with a tattoo anyway. The only concern I would see is if they got it in the middle of the season and claimed they couldn't compete/practice because of it.

i just thought it wa weird how uca instructors have to cover their tattoos but all star cheerleaders dont. if i were a judge i'm not sure if i would take off points but i might write comments on the score sheet.
in this industry image is everything and you dont want to send the wrong message.

If a UCA instructor had a bunch of tattoos on their body, that would be very distracting and unprofessional. It's just not a good look unless you’re a tattoo artist working in your shop. UCA just wants their instructors to look professional. Try getting a job at any place that has a good reputation with a bunch of tattoos on your body. It's just not going to happen.

If a UCA instructor had a bunch of tattoos on their body, that would be very distracting and unprofessional. It's just not a good look unless you’re a tattoo artist working in your shop. UCA just wants their instructors to look professional. Try getting a job at any place that has a good reputation with a bunch of tattoos on your body. It's just not going to happen.

Well I'll be the first one to shut this theory down!!! I worked for NCA for many years, as an Instructor, Head Instructor, and Choreographer!! I can say first hand that my tattoos had no bearing on my professional appearance! As far as getting a job with a bunch of tattoos on my body?? Well , You are obviously young and uneducated about what today's market is looking for!!! I have my current position because of my tatts, and piercings!! And as far as a good reputation is concerned--I thing being a Police Officer qualifies!!!

Well I'll be the first one to shut this theory down!!! I worked for NCA for many years, as an Instructor, Head Instructor, and Choreographer!! I can say first hand that my tattoos had no bearing on my professional appearance! As far as getting a job with a bunch of tattoos on my body?? Well , You are obviously young and uneducated about what today's market is looking for!!! I have my current position because of my tatts, and piercings!! And as far as a good reputation is concerned--I thing being a Police Officer qualifies!!!

It depends on what the job is. A police officer has a hard core look most of the time. I'm not surprised you got hired w/ piercings & tattoos. That doesn't mean today's market is looking for tattoos & body piercings either. Many cheerleading coaches & choreographers have a lot of tattoos. As well as teachers & dancers. That doesn't mean it's a professional look (it's def not!). In cheer you will get hired if you are good at what your doing no matter what. That goes for a lot of jobs. If you tried working at a high end restaurant or a theme park like Disney World or 6 flags (I worked there), you would not get hired unless those tattoos were covered. That's a fact. Same goes for a lot of big businesses. It's not a theory. I shouldn't have said ANY place wouldn't get you a job w/ tattoos because that's not what I meant. I'm very educated about what today's market is looking for.

If they made rules where you got deductions for tattoos they would loose so much business.. So many people especially on Senior and Open teams have visable tattoos, some way to big to cover up).. And if a judge can't concentrate on anything but those then he or she should not be judging (IMO)

as far as tattoos being unprofessional or making someone look otherwise. i don't agree it depends on the type of tattoo. most people don't get tattoos these days unless it has some meaning to them. and even a visible tattoo can be covered..
also many places will over look a visible tattoo as long if you agree not to get anymore done during your employment. but then again what they can't see won't hurt them. fact is tatts/piercings are not unprofessional. it just depends on how it's done. if you put 590789902-3 holes in your face and think people are going to warm up to you easily try again. but a few isn't going to hurt anyone.
js

"That goes for a lot of jobs. If you tried working at a high end restaurant or a theme park like Disney World or 6 flags (I worked there), you would not get hired unless those tattoos were covered."

So not true. We were at a Hard Rock (I wouldn't say this is high end BUT they are a VERY big name in the restaurant industry) and our waiter was covered from head to toe in tats and piercings. He was also VERY courteous and had the best attitude. you could tell he loved his job. And, I'm betting he loved his job because he was allowed to be himself. Tattoos and all. I work for a government contracting company. i have a couple of piercings and tattoos. i also meet with customers and do not cover them. It's who I am, but they don't define me as a person. I happen to view the body as a canvas. Tattoos are the paintings, piercings are the sculpting. There's a group on facebook called "tattoo acceptance in the workplace" and they have over 800,000 followers. I would say tattoos are on the right path to having their name added to that list of things companies CANNOT discriminate against. The cheer industry is doing it right. They don't discriminate. The tattoo doesn't change who a person is. Only their appearance.

Well logically, it makes sense that points can be deducted for jewelry because it can be hazardous to safety, like someone's earrings getting ripped out by their spinning flyer, or a choker necklace getting caught on someone else and literally choking them...you know. So I understand the jewelry deductions (although some companies don't take points off, some do) but the whole tattoo thing IMO shouldn't be a deduction. It is not hazardous to anyone's safety and yeah it might mess with the whole visual of everyone looking uniform, I don't think points should be taken off cus of that. BUT, it could mess with the cleanliness of the team if it is a big enough tattoo. Like if you are watching a routine as a whole and then you see some giant tattoo it catches your eye and can be distracting. I don't know anyone with that big of a tattoo though....

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think points should be taken off, although they MIGHT. So if you have a tattoo then I would cover it with a big bandaid...better safe than sorry!

Back