OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
But see...it wasn't meaningless when done properly! I was in college the same time as you, but at a large SEC school. Our nationals most definitely required recs, and we had a whole committee of girls, starting after the second round, whose job it was to collect recs for girls we were interested in but didn't have yet. The rushees provided pics and their resume to Panhellenic when they signed up, and PH gave that info to each chapter. So we'd take that info, and could usually find an alum in their town who either knew them or knew the family, or worst case...knew someone who knew the family. Anyway...it just helped to ensure you had the kind of girls you wanted wearing the letters.

Oh I agree that at one point it did have meaning and was important. Our TLC certainly couldn't imagine pledging a girl without a rec, she was stunned that we had no info on the girls except what they filled out to sign up for rush. I think she thought we were crazy:D It just seems like now that if complete strangers can write recs, what's the point anymore?

Nope, we were told in recruitment prep that we need to write them for any PNMs we know.
We were told similar things but with a pre-acknowledgement form for those we know going through recruitment. Is maybe that what they meant? I find it strange that you are required to write them for anyone you know going through.

Not sure what details I can exactly say... but we were told we need to write one for everyone we know going through
It sounds like they're asking for recommendations forms for girls going through recruitment at YOUR school, not just every single high school girl you know. This basically gives your recruitment team a list of girls to look for and girls to stay away from while y'all are doing your lists and then eventually formulating your bid list.

ETA: I was on the recruitment team last year and we didn't turn girls away that didn't have letters of recommendation. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the girls we took had them. For us they give us a brief background of the woman's accomplishments and past activities that she might not have put in her PNM profile when signing up. It helps us tell the girls what kind of things she'll be interested in talking about.

We've also never been told who recs are from. People handling recs on the back side of recruitment I suppose would know, 99% of the time they do not know the sister providing the rec. So if I wrote a rec for a girl that sucks, that's disappointing. My chapter has had girls with recs that did not work out. It was never a "ohhh, Susan Smith from Wherever, Colorado vouched for this girl so she must suck too" kind of thing...people change and sometimes fits don't work. I've also been requested to write recs and politely declined if I did not have substantial amount of information or I did not think the girl would be a good fit after reviewing credentials.

I would say the full rec system is based off of trust. The idea is that older sisters and sisters from other chapter hold the same ideals and standards to know who would make a good member. Recommendations from them come with a level of trust, and consideration given that this girl would be an asset.

It sounds like they're asking for recommendations forms for girls going through recruitment at YOUR school, not just every single high school girl you know. This basically gives your recruitment team a list of girls to look for and girls to stay away from while y'all are doing your lists and then eventually formulating your bid list.

ETA: I was on the recruitment team last year and we didn't turn girls away that didn't have letters of recommendation. Come to think of it, I don't think any of the girls we took had them. For us they give us a brief background of the woman's accomplishments and past activities that she might not have put in her PNM profile when signing up. It helps us tell the girls what kind of things she'll be interested in talking about.
Yes we were asked to for our school, but they also told us to go ahead and write them for any other people we knew going through anywhere

Yes we were asked to for our school, but they also told us to go ahead and write them for any other people we knew going through anywhere
My daughter will be home tomorrow for the long weekend (and her little brother's bday) I will ask her (She's also a DG--- I was ADPi "sorry mom, I'm kinda dropping your house" lol!)

My sorority sister/college roomie/friend's daughter is going through rush at LSU in August. Great girl...nice, funny and HS cheerleader. Anyone willing to write a rec letter? If you pm me your email I will email you her resume and pics.
Alpha Phi
Chi O
Tri Delt (got this for her but will take more )
DG (got this for her but will take more)
DZ
Kappa Alpha Theta
KD
KKG
Pi Phi

My sorority sister/college roomie/friend's daughter is going through rush at LSU in August. Great girl...nice, funny and HS cheerleader. Anyone willing to write a rec letter? If you pm me your email I will email you her resume and pics.
Alpha Phi
Chi O
Tri Delt (got this for her but will take more )
DG (got this for her but will take more)
DZ
Kappa Alpha Theta
KD
KKG
Pi Phi
PMed you. @krystynakrez (Can you write recs as an active for Alpha Phi?) @Alexx is a Chi O and I believe @NJ Coach is a DZ

Last edited:
Back