Toe Touches Just Not Pretty?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2012
So I'm trying to get my toe touches to be...pretty? They look horrible. On the trampoline, they look like this; (this isn't me btw, found on google images!)
1qr6ko.jpg

But on the ground they look like this; (not me again, but found on google images.)
mw9q9y.jpg

I have tried many drills, worked up my leg strength, and I'm extremely flexible. I have tried a drill where you do your jump from the floor and onto a bed, and they look like the trampoline jumps. What do i do? I really want them to look nice. Right now they are horrible and when i try to do sequences (triple toe) they are like star jumps.

ETA; WOW! Huge pictures... My bad :oops:

Okay first. If your back is bent as much as the girl in the second pic they may be part of it. What you might want to try is doing a decent amount of ab exercises right before you jump. Also ankle weights practice several jumps with ankle weights try to get your jump as high as possible then take them off and try it should be a lot better.

Okay first. If your back is bent as much as the girl in the second pic they may be part of it. What you might want to try is doing a decent amount of ab exercises right before you jump. Also ankle weights practice several jumps with ankle weights try to get your jump as high as possible then take them off and try it should be a lot better.

I agree with the abdominal strength. However, use caution when recommending jumps with ankle weights. The additional weight on the "long lever" of the legs in a toe touch added tremendous force to the landing. If the jumper does not get their feet together properly, or the foot internally rotates upon landing, the added force puts them at an extremely high risk for serious ankle injury.

Ankle weights are a great tool for improving jumps. But, I would recommend using them as resistance for more stable exercises such, "leg drop-backs," "v-ups," or leg-raises in a straddle position, instead of highly dynamic jumps.

I was also wondering how to get my hips back? Like when i jump on the trampoline my hips are in line with my back (hope this makes sense) but i can't do that on the ground and LAND it

I was always told to "Sit in" my jumps. Attempt to look in the air as you would in a straddle / russian stretch sitting on the floor. V -Ups Help not only your form but also your core strength. Lay on the floor with your legs closed, with your hands above you in a "Touch down" then explode and bring your body down to your legs and have the open in a V focus on your lower abs. So when your jumping your hand placement will be better and when you swing your arms around itll look great. Best of luck!

Back