Too Late To Tumble?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Have you tried these drills?

I have done some of them, yes. But after watching it, I think, I'll go back to doing them a lot more often... maybe I just need more repetition and strenght. Thank you!

For me its getting better its an extremly long process but finally getting the basics better. I can splat (punch front but land on bum) but want to get the elementary skills down do went to open gym and said I need help with forward rolls and hanstands within an hour my roll was more powerful with better technique and I learnt some goo drills for handstands

Just checking in to hear, how y'all are doing! :)

I myself am still not where I want to be and I'm starting to let it get to me, unfortunately.
I'm trying to see little babysteps foreward but secretly I think, i'm starting to kid myself. A week ago, my coach spotted me on my standing tuck and said it was really good and that there was no need for a spot. But as soon as he moves away a step (but still stepping in and spotting as soon as I jump) or someone else spots me, I lose all technique, whip back, open too early and everything. My main problems are still that I'm scared of jumping up and wait before flipping and that I'm (maybe as a consequence?) flipping really slowly. It's depressing.

Toe to tuck is going to be the death of me. I got some good tips a few weeks ago, but don't feel I've made much more progress lately. I've been working them since last Christmas and they're close, I've even landed a couple, but never consistently so I'm getting frustrated. Anyone have any tips on drills?? I feel like a lot of the tuck drills are harder to do for jump to tuck, since I'm not willing to jump to tuck on a block to the floor. Too scared to break an ankle.

This week had a bit of a setback. I had a bit of a meltdown at an open gym. Where I go is a gymnastics gym and all the people are work atleast a back tuck most fulls and others trick. While im struggling with handstands and keeping my legs sqeezed in forward rolls. I got disheartened and frustrated and broke down as im trying my best but it doesnt come naturally. The coach had a chat with me and help me set realistic goals for each session. Now an an old wrist and ankle injury has flared up but oh well I just need to keep going

This week had a bit of a setback. I had a bit of a meltdown at an open gym. Where I go is a gymnastics gym and all the people are work atleast a back tuck most fulls and others trick. While im struggling with handstands and keeping my legs sqeezed in forward rolls. I got disheartened and frustrated and broke down as im trying my best but it doesnt come naturally. The coach had a chat with me and help me set realistic goals for each session. Now an an old wrist and ankle injury has flared up but oh well I just need to keep going

Oh no, I'm sorry, you felt that way. Don't let the time it takes discourage you!
But, well, who am I to talk? 2 weeks ago my spotter let me hit the ground (with my knees, not my head) repeatedly (hardfloor) as he felt, I should see, where I lack. He didn't mean any harm by it. But after 2-3 practices like that, I got all freaked out and started to bail. I got so frustrated with myself that I actually cried. Hasn't happened in a long time. Well, ever since, my coach has been spotting me and things have been looking up a little. I still open too early but with him, I've been able to focus more on my technique without fear of hitting the ground repeatedly.
Well, but the thing is, tryouts are on sunday and he has announced that, as we'll be using a springfloor, there will be absolutely no spotters allowed. I asked whether I might use a soft mat to land on but he said no. We're to decide on our own, whether we throw our tumbling or not.
Honestly, I don't trust myself enough that I could be sure, I won't bail midair. So unless a miracle will happen, I'm not throwing the tuck at tryouts. Stupidly, this has also discouraged me wnough to stop practicing it alltogether since friday. -.-
I'm a rather strong stunter, so I hope, I'm not hurting my chances too much. But it's not worth an injury...

Oh no, I'm sorry, you felt that way. Don't let the time it takes discourage you!
But, well, who am I to talk? 2 weeks ago my spotter let me hit the ground (with my knees, not my head) repeatedly (hardfloor) as he felt, I should see, where I lack. He didn't mean any harm by it. But after 2-3 practices like that, I got all freaked out and started to bail. I got so frustrated with myself that I actually cried. Hasn't happened in a long time. Well, ever since, my coach has been spotting me and things have been looking up a little. I still open too early but with him, I've been able to focus more on my technique without fear of hitting the ground repeatedly.
Well, but the thing is, tryouts are on sunday and he has announced that, as we'll be using a springfloor, there will be absolutely no spotters allowed. I asked whether I might use a soft mat to land on but he said no. We're to decide on our own, whether we throw our tumbling or not.
Honestly, I don't trust myself enough that I could be sure, I won't bail midair. So unless a miracle will happen, I'm not throwing the tuck at tryouts. Stupidly, this has also discouraged me wnough to stop practicing it alltogether since friday. -.-
I'm a rather strong stunter, so I hope, I'm not hurting my chances too much. But it's not worth an injury...

There is something a heard a while ago when it comes to tryouts "do whatever you will suceed in doing" dont be discouraged give it a try and see how you will go. I havent done any training this week due to having a minor head injury when my flyer headbutted me (acidentally) falling from a stunt leaving an egg on my head!

Is it the same coach who has been spotting you?? If it is, he at least know you've been working them a lot, and know your progress. If you do decide to try them (and I won't encourage you ego either do it or not), do know that landing short on a spring floor really doesn't hurt, since I've been doing it repeatedly this summer (I finally landed them again last night). There is a nice bounce, so as long as you're not jamming anything, it doesn't hurt. Can you try some off a block onto a crash mat before tryouts, to give your self an idea of how close you are?? Either both at the same level, or the block being a bit higher. That way if you do land short, it's a super soft landing. I agree that an injury isn't worth it.

No it is not too late to tumble. With hard work and perseverance anything is possible. You may have to work a lot harder than most younger athletes but do not be discouraged! Most female athletes on level 4 to 6 teams will have a running tuck as their highest tumbling pass.

Back