College Too Old To Tumble? Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is it extremely hard to learn a bhs and tuck

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 9, 2016
hey guys so im going to be a freshman at unr in the fall but i was hoping to try out for the cheer team my sophomore or junior year. Unr has "4" teams.. stunt, tumble, cheer, and pom (they all cheer together but do different thingss) I have a strong background in cheer and a moderate background in dance (i can pick up routines but technique isnt really there).

I was hoping to try out for the CHEER team nd it says tumbling reccomended but not required, ive done sooo much research and from what ive seen majority of the girls on Unr's cheer team dont tumble and the team mostly focuses on dance and cheer chants (fight song) which is great because i cant tumble, butttt heres the thing.

When i try out ill be 18-19 and i want to learn at least a backhand spring and a tuck, will learning those 2 be harder for me since im "older", i know athletes usually learn these skills from ages 5-15, Keep in mind i know theres no age limit to learn but could you guys tell me how long it took for you to learn these two skills and how hard are they to learn.

I was planning to go to an allstar or gymnastics gym to learn....

oh shoot i forgot... if anyone out there has went to a unr clinic or through the tryout process can you givve me tipss plus share your experience? that would be amazing!!

If you are dedicated and in the gym multiple days a week, I think those are attainable goals in a year or 2. You will have to dedicated in the gym and to conditioning outside the gym, but I think it is doable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely hard to tell without knowing you physical fitness and flexibility. The better both of those are, the better chance you'll have. Flexibility is more important for the handspring (shoulders and back). Focus on sprints, jumps (plio style), and Olympic style lifts if you want/need to get stronger. I learned a handspring pretty fast (started learning at 20) but I was already very strong and had better than average flexibility for a guy, so results definitely vary.

Last edited:
Being honest it took me a year and a half to get my backhandspring (age 8) then I worked on technique,RBHS,ect and then it took me 2 monthsish to get my round off tuck (age 11) but if you are talking about a standing tuck once I got my round off tuck it only took me 10 minutes to get my standing it's really a lot of a mental game hope I could help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you can totally get it! I joined back into cheer at 19 and I'm 21 now. At 19 I was so out of shape that a handstand against the wall for 30 seconds killed me, I looked at that realized that wasn't where I wanted to be and have trained 4-6 days a week in the gym since. Backwards tumbling has always scared me but I have front handspring and punch fronts easy now. Backhandspring with someone standing beside me and for some reason I have to do a backtuck basket to warm up doing tucks with spot on the floor. I think if you are not scared then you can totally learn the skills if you put the effort in!!

Latest posts

Back