Too Tall To Fly???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 30, 2020
hi im 13, 5'4, and 125 pounds. It has been my dream to do cheer forever and especially to fly. i tried out for a team and the coach said i was "too big to fly" Ive based before too but i really hate being a base and i already have a needle and have a really strong core ive been practicing for 3 years jusst so I could fly on my schools comp team and now i have to base. i will still do cheer next season but all the girls on my team are lke 4 11. I love cheer but hate basing, any advice??

You're not too big to fly, but you may be too big to fly on this specific team. I've had great flyers have to move to basing/backing because they got older and grew, and younger smaller kids joined the team. It didn't mean those kids never flew again, just not that year. If all of the other girls are that much smaller, it will be less likely that there are people to base you.

If you truly love cheer, you'd be willing to learn to base. The more you can do to help your team, the better athlete you are for them. Learn to be a triple threat (base/back/fly) if you can. If this is something you truly want to be a part of, it may be in a way you weren't expecting (ie. basing). Learn everything you can and push to be the best base possible as that attitude will stand out more in your coaches mind than your needle or strong core for future years.

Hey!

Basing can be totally fun, if you let it. At one point or another, of course we’ve all wanted to fly; but basing gives you strength and muscle that flying never will. I know you love flying, but you should give basing a chance. Every position is important and special.

Hi!!! I feel you so much when you say that. I am 4 10 and 90 pounds and got told that I am too big to fly! I have amazing front flexibility on both legs, a needle, and over the shoulder needle, and more. I have flown at a worlds level, and recreate world stunts for fun. That being said I am on Junior team, so in this case, I am too big to fly, and I am learning how to base. I love flying with a passion and was devested when I was told to base. But now I have learned, basing can be really fun too! It is a whole new challenge and way to use your body, and it is fun. If you are dead set on flying, just don't get discouraged. Go to flying classes, workout and stretch a lot, and your coaches will see your passion and worth ethic. Just don't be negative when basing either, and give it an honest chance, because basing can be amazing.
- from a flyer who knows what it's like to be grounded

Hi!!! I feel you so much when you say that. I am 4 10 and 90 pounds and got told that I am too big to fly! I have amazing front flexibility on both legs, a needle, and over the shoulder needle, and more. I have flown at a worlds level, and recreate world stunts for fun. That being said I am on Junior team, so in this case, I am too big to fly, and I am learning how to base. I love flying with a passion and was devested when I was told to base. But now I have learned, basing can be really fun too! It is a whole new challenge and way to use your body, and it is fun. If you are dead set on flying, just don't get discouraged. Go to flying classes, workout and stretch a lot, and your coaches will see your passion and worth ethic. Just don't be negative when basing either, and give it an honest chance, because basing can be amazing.
- from a flyer who knows what it's like to be grounded

Can I ask how old you are?

hi im 13, 5'4, and 125 pounds. It has been my dream to do cheer forever and especially to fly. i tried out for a team and the coach said i was "too big to fly" Ive based before too but i really hate being a base and i already have a needle and have a really strong core ive been practicing for 3 years jusst so I could fly on my schools comp team and now i have to base. i will still do cheer next season but all the girls on my team are lke 4 11. I love cheer but hate basing, any advice??

I am 12 years old but I SUPER tall for my age. I’m 5’ 6”. I feel like my height is holding me back a lot. I’m a gymnast dancer and cheerleader but I’m tired of being told “YoUr tO hEaVy” or just plain “Your to Tall” I want to be a flyer so badly but in my heart I know it will never happen. Is there any advice to lift my spirits? I feel like my height is holding me back.

I am 12 years old but I SUPER tall for my age. I’m 5’ 6”. I feel like my height is holding me back a lot. I’m a gymnast dancer and cheerleader but I’m tired of being told “YoUr tO hEaVy” or just plain “Your to Tall” I want to be a flyer so badly but in my heart I know it will never happen. Is there any advice to lift my spirits? I feel like my height is holding me back.

It's not as much about height and weight, as much as it is about the dynamics of the team. Coaches are looking to make workable stunt groups that are able to lift, control, toss, flip and maintain decent stamina. The likelihood of flying on a Jr. team is minimal, however, it's possible on a Sr. team. There are many tall flyers out there, there are flyers that dual position, and there are flyers that have transitioned to base or back and love it. Your height isn't holding you back, however, the mindset that flying is all you would enjoy is definitely your biggest obstacle. If you want your spirits lifted, be open minded to the possibility you would love basing and backing just as much as flying.

Sophie,

It is possible, but not likely. My advice is to embrace whatever position you are offered.

Tall people can fly too. I think a flyers body control, tightness, and flexibility matters more than their height.

Back