All-Star Top Gun Routines

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 18, 2010
what I never understood is why top gun waters down parts of their routine for worlds... like at NCA 2010 they had the guys do the standing whip doubles and then at worlds they only had one guy do a standing double and they took out the quick ups and went straight up.. and 2009 at cheersport they had like 5 guys do standing doubles and then they took those out and did back handspring doubles and their routine at the beginning of last year was better than worlds.. i'm not saying this to be be rude because i like top gun but i just don't get why they take things out of their routine that are like, wicked amazing!

Worlds isn't the place to take chances! If you count how many worlds titles top gun has you might understand why they water things down for worlds! Clearly its working lol!

You have to remember that sometimes in order to truly hit and maximize the scoresheet some of those skills you mentioned simply are not necessary. Crowd pleasing and wicked amaazing sure. Help you max out your score at the most important competition of the year? Probably not and not worth the risk of missing it.

I think this applies to all teams and not just Top Gun. I've always wondered why that happens. When you know a team is capable of doing xyz but they just do x to max out the score sheet. I get it's about maxing it out to win, but I want the team that wins to be the best. So doing xyz even though x is only what they need to win.

I agree it applies to all teams. Superstar teams right on down the line. Why take the risk if the reward is not there? Why take the risk if doing so gets you deducted in execution errors so you may have done an amazing skill but still get deductions?

I think it's about challenging yourself. As a level 1 you challenge yourself to get to level 2 and so on and so forth. You get to level 5 and it stops there. Once you get all the skills you can do for that level I think you should play with them. Challenge yourself in your tumbling passes and stunts. I think the reward is more than the points it gets you on the score sheet.

It's not about not challenging our athletes, it's about knowing what an athlete can and can not do consistently in a caliber of routine like those we often compete.

To simply choreograph a routine based on the hardest skills that all of our athletes can execute sometimes doesn't go hand in hand with the mindset that we try to keep our teams in a "winning position."

I do not believe teams win because they put the absolutely ever most difficult skill possible into their routine. That would not be smart from a coaching stand point. There are so many examples of teams who "over do it" and end up falling all over the place and losing.

You do the routine/skills that give you the best chance of winning. In football terms, that means sometimes you throw a Hail Mary (do the hardest thing you have ever hit once) or sometimes you run it up the middle (only do skills you can hit in your sleep.) Crazy difficulty is fun for the crowd, but isn't always the smartest thing to put in a routine.

cory is right and honestly im glad they do what they do! As being somebody who has had a harder skill taken out, i was less stressed, body felt better and could help gain more team sync tumbling points. there obviously smart coaches and there decisions to water down or to make routines harder works really well! so it was a win across the board. btw cory im ready to finish these camps and get back to practice soon!!

i think its better that they water them down. if you watched any part of worlds this year you probably saw how many teams had touch downs or dropped a stunt. its better to avoid as many mistakes as possible.

cory is right and honestly im glad they do what they do! As being somebody who has had a harder skill taken out, i was less stressed, body felt better and could help gain more team sync tumbling points. there obviously smart coaches and there decisions to water down or to make routines harder works really well! so it was a win across the board. btw cory im ready to finish these camps and get back to practice soon!!

Practice was fun but we cant wait to have you back :)

Back