Toss Hands Drills / Tips?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2017
Wanting to get started with partner stunting and im trying to get my toss hands right now, any advice? and how much does strength play in it ?

Strength is definitely part of it, but form is king. Make sure to use legs when tossing your partner. Try using a heavy medicine ball and pretend that it is a girl....dip, drive, and toss the ball as high as you can.

Work on explosive power like box jumping and if you are into weight lifting, squats and cleans will definitely help out.

Strength is definitely part of it, but form is king. Make sure to use legs when tossing your partner. Try using a heavy medicine ball and pretend that it is a girl....dip, drive, and toss the ball as high as you can.

Work on explosive power like box jumping and if you are into weight lifting, squats and cleans will definitely help out.
As far as upper body strength goes, is there anything I should emphasize more for the purpose of doing this? like biceps / triceps etc

As far as upper body strength goes, is there anything I should emphasize more for the purpose of doing this? like biceps / triceps etc
I'd say Legs, hips, shoulders/back, core, arms. In that order. For upper body strength, shoulders and triceps are important more important.shoulders more important than triceps. Triceps more than biceps.

Get a bag of kitty litter, cover it in duct tape, now you have a dummy torso to practice tossing with.

With it, focus on your legs dipping with your arms and exploding through each so you get max power out of your legs and max power out of your arms simultaneously. Also be aware of your flick as you release: fingers to the sky as you snap the bag outta your hands.

Good luck!

I always accidentally pulled my girl into me when I tossed, so make sure you aren't doing that! Toss hands was definitely the partner stunting skill that I struggled with the most but it opens the door for a lot of cool stuff!

I always accidentally pulled my girl into me when I tossed, so make sure you aren't doing that! Toss hands was definitely the partner stunting skill that I struggled with the most but it opens the door for a lot of cool stuff!
Legit one of the hardest things to fix.

As far as upper body goes, focus on shoulder and rotator cuff strengthening. Shoulders for power and rotator cuff to keep your shoulders safe when going overhead.

Back