All-Star Transgender Athletes?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 3, 2012
If a cheerleader is biologically male but identifies as a female, would that person have to be on a coed team or would that person be allowed to be on an all girl team? Has this come up before?

If a cheerleader is biologically male but identifies as a female, would that person have to be on a coed team or would that person be allowed to be on an all girl team? Has this come up before?
That's actually a legitimate question in my mind, not cheer related but my recent high school reunion...one of our classmates is under going the surgeries to change from female to male and is mid-process. They had a significant issue not knowing which restroom they should use. They ended up going home.

Heck, even my pronoun use here...I'm not sure what to refer to them as. I knew her as a "she" but that's not the case anymore and she prefers to be a he...so it's difficult because I don't want to say the wrong thing...and I'm not sure what the right thing is.

I guess in this case, it's maybe whatever they are registered as. So whatever they identify with at their home gym when they pay registration fees? Don't know. Any EPs out there that can tell us how you do it?

honestly, a very good discussion point. with the new USASF registration system does it ask which gender you are (I have never seen it)? If so, maybe when they register, choose the sex they are transitioning to? or, does it have to match the birth certificate?

I honestly have no idea what EPs would do, but now that you mention it, I hope they have or create a plan to accept these athletes, too.

Very interesting question and I'm also very curious what the answer is. I would hope she would be allowed to compete on an all-girl but then are other factors that might come into play, such as her strength if a she is a base compared to other girls on the team. If she is stronger because she was biologically born a male does that give that team an unfair advantage for certain stunts?
12stepCheermom I would use the pronoun of whatever gender they are transitioning to. If she is now a he, then definitely use he.

Playing fields have long been segregated on the basis of - 05.28.12 - SI Vault

Interesting article and an issue that sports at both the olympic and college level are grappling with. What I find most encouraging is that it seems like both the IOC and NCAA are trying to be inclusive of transgender athletes. I like that NCAA has NOT required reassignment surgery as part of their policy, hopefully the IOC will move in that direction.

I am not sure how this should trickle down to high school and teenage athletes. As a parent, I certainly wouldn't want a growing child to be required to undergo hormone injections or suppression to be able to participate in a sport.

That's actually a legitimate question in my mind, not cheer related but my recent high school reunion...one of our classmates is under going the surgeries to change from female to male and is mid-process. They had a significant issue not knowing which restroom they should use. They ended up going home.

Heck, even my pronoun use here...I'm not sure what to refer to them as. I knew her as a "she" but that's not the case anymore and she prefers to be a he...so it's difficult because I don't want to say the wrong thing...and I'm not sure what the right thing is.

I guess in this case, it's maybe whatever they are registered as. So whatever they identify with at their home gym when they pay registration fees? Don't know. Any EPs out there that can tell us how you do it?
I have the same difficulty at work. I work with a person that I work with named Lucas who obviously identifies as a women, but I'm never sure weather to say he or she, because I dont offend them at all.

I would think or hope that they would allow them to participate as female on an all-girl team. It could be so damaging to force her to dress in a male uniform and could possibly be outed as being trans. Aren't there laws that protect that sort of thing in some states?

If a person identifies as female, then they should be able to participate as female...but I don't know if there are rules about it, and maybe they would have to provide proof than she was mid-transition, to avoid people cheating and using guys on all-girl teams. I know that might sound ridiculous, but I'm sure that SOMEONE would try it.

There's a male to female transgender I know that used to cheer on a coed team when she was younger and identified as male (I think it was on a youth or junior team), but now wants to be on an open all girl 6 since she started college and quit gymnastics. She has not had any surgeries. This is definitely a legitimate issue, and I think that she should be able to be on this all girl team for sure. If a transgender athlete who identifies as female is as good a cheerleader as a non trans female athlete, they should be allowed to be on an all girl team not only to feel comfortable and safe but to compete as they want to.

Either you are a boy or you are a girl. If you have completed surgery, then fine. But even then, I hope we're not having to deal with gender challenges.

Pre surgery, I would be less concerned about a guy dressing as a girl, but competing on a coed team. In fact that's been done before and we had extensive discussions about it (UCA).

Honestly I've never thought of this before...how may transgender cheerleaders are there? Just curious.

Honestly I've never thought of this before...how may transgender cheerleaders are there? Just curious.

We have one at the high school here, she started high school identifying as male, but now she identifies as female. I guess it was a huge controversy when they started letting her wear the girls uniform at games and stuff, but I'm glad the school supported her.

We have one at the high school here, she started high school identifying as male, but now she identifies as female. I guess it was a huge controversy when they started letting her wear the girls uniform at games and stuff, but I'm glad the school supported her.
That's awesome that the school supported her. I think many schools would have said no way. Good for her!!

That's different because it's not a competition.

I know quite a few transgender people and on the issue of not knowing what pronoun to use, just ask them! It might seem awkward at first, but i'm sure they'll appreciate you caring enough to ask what they prefer.

As for a competition, whatever they choose to register as, I think they should be able to compete as. Surgery or not.

Back