High School Transportation To Away Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would do plain, grosgrain bows and not care about shoes as long as they were all white cheer shoes.

Good luck!
Another option for bows (although they aren't really bows, is to buy rolls of grosgrain ribbon at walmart and just tie it in the girls hair. They're usually $3-$4, and for a squad of 16 girls we only needed 2 rolls. Our squad did it for pink out and red out and it looked just fine.

Another option for bows (although they aren't really bows, is to buy rolls of grosgrain ribbon at walmart and just tie it in the girls hair. They're usually $3-$4, and for a squad of 16 girls we only needed 2 rolls. Our squad did it for pink out and red out and it looked just fine.
Campus TeamWear sells plain grosgrain bows for $2.75 each.

That is one expense that our Varsity cheerleaders don't have to pay. Our Freshman and JV squads only cheer at home games. The school provides a separate bus for each of the teams: cheer, drill team and players. If the game is more than 2 hours away, they ride on charter busses. Again, the school pays for them.
Exactly how it works at my school, except JV gets to cheer at the last away game of the season. Also, JV and Varsity both cheer at playoff games and those are all away games of course (school pays).

These coaches and the schools hiring them should be embarrassed.
Unfortunately most schools/ADs, especially those in states where cheer isn't a sport, don't care. It's a lot cheaper for them to have someone who is already teaching at the school to be the coach than to hire someone outside. So many times it comes down to whoever out of the current faculty volunteers for the position. This is why there is often a lot of safety issues in the states where cheer is not a sport, because the schools are hiring teachers with no coaching experience just to save money.

Well when I was school cheerleader, we carpooled to local games and our games didn't start until about 7pm but away games for JV started earlier as well as JV home games and we raised enough money over the Summer so that we could get our own bus just for cheerleaders. Sometimes if the band director allowed us too, he would cut into the bands funds and allow us to use the activity buses.

Unfortunately most schools/ADs, especially those in states where cheer isn't a sport, don't care. It's a lot cheaper for them to have someone who is already teaching at the school to be the coach than to hire someone outside. So many times it comes down to whoever out of the current faculty volunteers for the position. This is why there is often a lot of safety issues in the states where cheer is not a sport, because the schools are hiring teachers with no coaching experience just to save money.
Exactly. That makes me sick. And then the general public is all, "let's get rid of cheerleading, it's useless!" yet when their little football players get concussions they're worried and want football to be made safer (even if their kid never played football).

Yes, cheerleading is potentially dangerous (like all sports) but the most dangerous thing here is YOUR APATHY, AMERICA. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. THE DOCTORS THAT DON'T TAKE US SERIOUSLY (huge thanks to the ones that do), THE LAWMAKERS THAT HAVE NO IDEA THAT CHEER HAS CHANGED OVER THE YEARS. THE LAY PEOPLE THAT BELIEVE THAT CHEER IS EASY. THE SCHOOL OFFICIALS THAT BELIEVE THAT WE ARE WORTHLESS AND UNDESERVING OF THE NECESSITIES THAT OTHER TEAMS HAVE HANDED TO THEM. THE COACHES THAT DON'T HAVE CERTIFICATION OR COMMON SENSE (even some certified coaches fail to use that).

Have any of you heard the claim that if you go to the doctor with a cheer injury, you have to lie and say that you're a gymnast or else they won't take your injury seriously? SAD!

Last edited:
I'm in Canada. Cheer is not considered a sport here and many school boards won't even allow a team because we are not recognized by the governing body for sports in our province. I have had major issues at my school in terms of trying to get admin and the ad to see the value of our program.
A staff member must be "in charge" of the program and ensure all paperwork is done correctly regardless of which sport it is. Outside coaches and school staff volunteer their time. It is never a paid position again regardless of sport.
I teach at my school. I volunteer to coach. I coach 9 hours a week from September to May and then add in the amount of time it takes to actually run the team...from planning the season to organizing and attending fundraisers to ordering all the items needed to dealing with parents to working with students to ensure they meet my academic standards to be in the team. That all said....it's worth every second I put in and more!!

I'm in Canada. Cheer is not considered a sport here and many school boards won't even allow a team because we are not recognized by the governing body for sports in our province. I have had major issues at my school in terms of trying to get admin and the ad to see the value of our program.
A staff member must be "in charge" of the program and ensure all paperwork is done correctly regardless of which sport it is. Outside coaches and school staff volunteer their time. It is never a paid position again regardless of sport.
I teach at my school. I volunteer to coach. I coach 9 hours a week from September to May and then add in the amount of time it takes to actually run the team...from planning the season to organizing and attending fundraisers to ordering all the items needed to dealing with parents to working with students to ensure they meet my academic standards to be in the team. That all said....it's worth every second I put in and more!!

Thank you for essentially volunteering your time! Our program is run this way also, with a teacher being the advisor and she does somewhat coach but she is a true pain in the *ss. No one likes her but yet they keep her because there's probably nobody else that will take on the job.

She hates the AS cheerleading because it's a power struggle with her. She is a control freak. I've heard this from many parents. On Monday at practice she was bad mouthing AS cheer right in front of my cp who she knows also does AS. My cp was so mad when she got in the car. At this point, I'm trying to get her to stand up for herself. I told her, tell her she's being rude and then she and I can have a little chat when she calls me to talk about you. :rolleyes:

Exactly how it works at my school, except JV gets to cheer at the last away game of the season. Also, JV and Varsity both cheer at playoff games and those are all away games of course (school pays).
That is very similar to our school. The Freshman and JV squads each cheer a quarter at the homecoming game and take a bus that the school pays for. (we share a stadium with the other 2 schools in our district so there is always transportation required whether it is a home or away game.) And if we make it to state, all 3 squads cheer and take a charter bus to Cowboys Stadium.

And @Twinklestars you mean to tell us that it's usual for poo-poo quality coaches to leave behind debt?

We had a brand new head coach to our school (she was a coach at another school before) get fired mid-football season. One of the former varsity coaches (still a teacher at the school) stepped in to help finish up football season, so there was time to hire a new coach. The JV coach became the varsity coach after football season. The fired coach left us with some prices being told to pay that were wrong (including myself, my mom is a financial analysts so she crunched the numbers several times and could never understand why her total was different). We never ordered warmups because she kept saying we would fundraise for them, but we had several car washes and we were never told where that money went? The varsity girls used old warmups and gave some of the girls other old warmups to use/borrow. JV just used black pants and a black jacket. Some returning girls re-used the previous year's warmups. It was a mess for a bit of time, but it got fixed.

I think we pay $100 and it covers fees for buses and if it costs to get into an away game. During basketball season we ride the bus with the players

That's the situation we're in... Not to mention the lack of record keeping on uniforms, so nobody returned theirs and we had to order a whole bunch more....
@MHSCheercoach what did you guys do when it was cold? Warmups are a necessity for us because half our season is freezing.

Black sweat pants and matching hoodies. We all basically already had black sweatpants and our school always sold matching hoodies, sweatshirts, long sleeve shirts and everyone bought one anyways so it wasn't like our parents were out extra, they were just buying what they would have bought anyways.

I know coach at a school that is super tight on budget even if it's money we have fundraised for they tell us how we can spend it so I totally understand the predicament some coaches are placed in. So badly I wanted to go and fight it tooth and nail, but I realized that if I just rolled with the punches, made the best out of a bad situation then not only did I gain respect of the administration for successfully jumping thru the hoops but I also demonstrated what real life is like and set a good example.

We had a brand new head coach to our school (she was a coach at another school before) get fired mid-football season. One of the former varsity coaches (still a teacher at the school) stepped in to help finish up football season, so there was time to hire a new coach. The JV coach became the varsity coach after football season. The fired coach left us with some prices being told to pay that were wrong (including myself, my mom is a financial analysts so she crunched the numbers several times and could never understand why her total was different). We never ordered warmups because she kept saying we would fundraise for them, but we had several car washes and we were never told where that money went? The varsity girls used old warmups and gave some of the girls other old warmups to use/borrow. JV just used black pants and a black jacket. Some returning girls re-used the previous year's warmups. It was a mess for a bit of time, but it got fixed.
Scary to think that schools hire fiscally irresponsible people to coach cheer...

Have any of you heard the claim that if you go to the doctor with a cheer injury, you have to lie and say that you're a gymnast or else they won't take your injury seriously? SAD!

I recently read a Facebook status from a parent of a kid I coach... Mom took the kid to the doctor because she thought the kid had pink eye and she was right. Mom asks the doctor, "she has cheer in a few hours... Do I need to keep her home?" And the doctor replied "oh, well it's an individual sport and it's just standing around so she'll be fine to go." Mom said she WENT OFF and was so embarrassed because she could tell she was getting loud in the doctors office. The kid is a flyer... That would have been a great way to spread pink eye to the whole team because the doctor didn't understand that the kid would be climbing on other kids all night...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back