All-Star Trends That Are Already Annoying

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I couldn't agree more!! My youngest is 7 and he has friends that play baseball & soccer in leagues where they don't keep score... Are you kidding me? In life, some win & some loose. That's Real world! When Jax's football team looses, he gets mad and it makes him want to play better and it makes him competitive which will make him more equipped for life! I think we could probably go on for days about this! Not everyone wins, not everyone gets the job and not everyone is successful! Life is full of disappointments and we need to teach our kids how to pick themselves up, wipe the tears and go out in the world and kick some butt!! ;)

I agree that it's a bit silly to hand out a trophy to every team. A participation trophy isn't so bad but awards takes forever when you have 30 divisions with last place through first place teams plus grand champions etc.. It used to be only the top 3 teams got anything (and still is that way at a few competitions).

Which is worse....getting 10th out of 10 or not being announced at awards at all? Personally, I think it sucks more to be called for that dead last trophy.

I agree that it's a bit silly to hand out a trophy to every team. A participation trophy isn't so bad but awards takes forever when you have 30 divisions with last place through first place teams plus grand champions etc.. It used to be only the top 3 teams got anything (and still is that way at a few competitions).

Which is worse....getting 10th out of 10 or not being announced at awards at all? Personally, I think it sucks more to be called for that dead last trophy.
Continuing with the thread hijack -
Our mini team at our first gym was 19th out of 23rd at US finals their first year - they had no business being there and only went because the coach promised if they got a bid they could go , which they somehow did, and many of them including mine had older sibs so we were there anyway. It was terrible but they didn't grasp the concept of their finish. Even years later when they asked for the video of it, us moms would say "oh so-and-so's mom has it" because we never bothered to get it, it was such a terrible performance.

Not getting called at all is definitely better...because then nobody in the audience knows who actually got last. It must be so sad to sit in their little prayer circle holding hands saying "Please don't call our name first!" and then hearing it out loud. I've been there, as a coach and a cheerleader--it's never fun. At least when they don't call you, the girls still have that little bit of hope that maybe they only came in 4th or something. Then when you get the scoresheets is when you can break it to them in private so they don't have to be so embarrassed publicly.

Gyms with 200+ athletes competing in small-gym just so they win..

Sore spot with me, my gym had 53 athletes. total. We went small gym for ONE competition. We got 2nd out of a lot.. the 1st place team had 3 worlds teams at there gym. Don't companies look at that stuff?!

We still do that at our competitions in Aus. Only top 3 get trophies/medals, but normally they announce all the places still. Now since our events are growing so rapidly, and awards take so much time, this year at our Nationals they are only giving trophies down to 5th place and for awards they are putting up the names of the top 5 teams on the screen 15mins before awards and only those teams come to the marshalling area for awards where they announce their places. The other 20+ teams in the division then know they didn't place in Top 5 and can find out their positions later once the results are published. I think it's a much better (and more efficient) system really.

I couldn't agree more!! My youngest is 7 and he has friends that play baseball & soccer in leagues where they don't keep score... Are you kidding me? In life, some win & some loose. That's Real world! When Jax's football team looses, he gets mad and it makes him want to play better and it makes him competitive which will make him more equipped for life! I think we could probably go on for days about this! Not everyone wins, not everyone gets the job and not everyone is successful! Life is full of disappointments and we need to teach our kids how to pick themselves up, wipe the tears and go out in the world and kick some butt!! ;)

My sons soccer / baseball is like this too. And the stupid part is if you ask the kids...every.single.one knows the score.

And like kristenthegreat, I don't even want to get started with the school stuff.

Mean Girls wasn't even that great of a movie...
ummmmmmmmmmmmm.... what?
I know what you mean, but there is just something so enjoyable about it. Any movie that can give you so many quotable lines that can be applied to all aspects of life has to have some merit! On a random note, I took ex-cp to see it in the movies when she was 7 or 8 and I cringed the whole time. Was so happy most of it went over her head.

Sore spot with me, my gym had 53 athletes. total. We went small gym for ONE competition. We got 2nd out of a lot.. the 1st place team had 3 worlds teams at there gym. Don't companies look at that stuff?!

One year I competed on a team (only team in the gym too) with 11 girls. and we weren't in small-gym.

Orrrr when teams, maybe like the one you speak of, use level 4 and 5 athletes on a level 1 or 2 team, just to smush everyone. So not fair. Especially when they obviously cross over because you see them with a uniform in a bag.

average joe teams using the same clips of cheer music they heard the top worlds' contenders/winners use the previous season
As annoying as that is, I'd LOVE if a really good mixer could make a 'World Champ Master Mix' every year, that combines a little bit of each winners mix.

So that when I'm coping with the hilarious nonsense in my life, I can curl up into a cheer coma and wash the crazy away..

Back